Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kick Boxing

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 08:56 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kick Boxing

Starting a beginners class in the above Monday night.

Any people on here do it? Is it easy to pick up?

Been told its a good workout so hoping to get rid of some flab
Old 22 September 2006, 09:32 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobLou
Starting a beginners class in the above Monday night.

Any people on here do it? Is it easy to pick up?

Been told its a good workout so hoping to get rid of some flab
Yes I have done it for six years,and you will certainly work up a sweat.Quite easy to pick up.Check out my kickboxing gym here www.prokick.com
Old 22 September 2006, 10:12 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

looks like fun, but feel I'm a bit too old at 32 to get beaten to a pulp x2 a week
Old 22 September 2006, 11:15 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Varboy
looks like fun, but feel I'm a bit too old at 32 to get beaten to a pulp x2 a week
You ain't too old yet fella!!

I did Kyokushinkai Karate when I was 16 for a couple of years.

Now I'm 37 and with my 2 kids (7 and 8) been doing it again for a year and a bit.

Its definitely more difficult, but I am v determined to achieve 1st Dan Black belt.

Going for 5th Kyu 2nd yellow on Sunday, about half way to Black.

Although its bloody hard work, I'll get there and you are 5 years younger - go for it
Old 22 September 2006, 11:30 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

I've been having private tuition in kickboxing and Eskrima for the past year. Kickboxing is very good for a cardio workout....I generally do 30 mins circuit training (skipping, punching, kicking etc) then 30 mins sparring.
Old 23 September 2006, 09:41 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
You ain't too old yet fella!!

I did Kyokushinkai Karate when I was 16 for a couple of years.

Now I'm 37 and with my 2 kids (7 and 8) been doing it again for a year and a bit.

Its definitely more difficult, but I am v determined to achieve 1st Dan Black belt.

Going for 5th Kyu 2nd yellow on Sunday, about half way to Black.

Although its bloody hard work, I'll get there and you are 5 years younger - go for it
Yes I was a two gradings from a black in Taekwondo when I was in my teens (sorry can't remember the kup rating). So I have been there and done it before though have wanted to go back since I quit.

The thought of coming home knackered from work and having to go back out for 7.30pm to run round a community centre for 2 hours doesn't inspire much appeal for me now. Though I think on reflection I may have a look what's on in the area.
Old 23 September 2006, 10:10 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

never to old i still do a bit of thai boxing at 42
Old 23 September 2006, 11:01 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yes I was a two gradings from a black in Taekwondo when I was in my teens (sorry can't remember the kup rating). So I have been there and done it before though have wanted to go back since I quit.

The thought of coming home knackered from work and having to go back out for 7.30pm to run round a community centre for 2 hours doesn't inspire much appeal for me now. Though I think on reflection I may have a look what's on in the area.
It is difficult, but for me its only twice a week (three when I was younger). On Wednesdays, I play 5 a-side for an hour and a half (1:30-3) and go to the gym for an hour afterwards. Then later on I do karate 7:00-8:30. Its bloody nackering, but I love it, and since I have stopped playing rugby and football its my main focus.

Wakeboardar: I've got a few years yet then
Old 23 September 2006, 02:16 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I've done thai boxing for about 9 years on and off(mostly on ). thai is probably a little more physical than kick boxing, it will certainly get you fit. its quite basic in relation to some other martial arts so shouldn't take too long to pick it up if you do it regularly enough. you should try and do 2 classes a week, more if you can manage it
Old 23 September 2006, 02:42 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i done thai boxing for 12 years which is a similar sort of thing !!! and its good fun, it gets addictive as i used to train 6 days a week!!

a quick picture of me a few years ago, i used to fight at 65kgs and this was at a sky sports event

Last edited by stevebt; 23 September 2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 23 September 2006, 02:50 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

steve was that in carlisle? remember there was a show that went on sky in carlisle
Old 23 September 2006, 02:57 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Did it for 10years, had to stop as my running and football were suffering!
Great bit off martial arts to know how to do, saved my skin a few times!
Old 23 September 2006, 03:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
steve was that in carlisle? remember there was a show that went on sky in carlisle
it was down south somewhere ?? cant remember where as it was a few years ago now !!
Old 24 September 2006, 08:18 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
it was down south somewhere ?? cant remember where as it was a few years ago now !!
i used to fight at 72kg
for the taz camp ( eugene valerio)
Old 24 September 2006, 08:43 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i had to stop doing taekwondo because of working funny hours.i got to the same mate red belt 2nd kup
Old 24 September 2006, 10:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It's great for exercise ... but don't get the idea that any of these will protect you against a street fighter!!

Pete
Old 24 September 2006, 10:21 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by pslewis
It's great for exercise ... but don't get the idea that any of these will protect you against a street fighter!!

Pete
they teach you self control and to better yourself so you rise above street fighting
Old 24 September 2006, 10:31 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Pete
That's why I do Krav Maga
Excercise and something that works well in looking after yourself.

http://www.kravmaga-nottingham.co.uk/
Old 25 September 2006, 08:10 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

My point being that just because you and your 'buddies' play fight in the gym and then look at yourselves in the mirror doesn't mean that you can look after youself in a brawl .................. brawls are nasty and without rules ... you will lose!

Pete
Old 25 September 2006, 08:23 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

My point being that just because you and your 'buddies' play fight in the gym and then look at yourselves in the mirror doesn't mean that you can look after youself in a brawl .................. brawls are nasty and without rules ... you will lose!

Pete

Look Pete what martial arts gives you is an advantage - i'm sure most senior students or instructors will admit that it wont make you into Superman or Lenny M'clean but it does give you an advantage as you tend to keep cool (er) during a confrontation.

I did tae-kwondo for 4 years and admitedley i would not pick a fight with anyone in a pub but my instructor did the doors for years (which is as real as it gets) and he never got put down (he was only 12st btw)

To say that martial arts is play fighting is a load of b***ocks i on occasion used to come home with a bruised ribs/face/ego/bloody nose.

People who say that have never done it.

can you honestly say that a drunken git in the street would have a chance against a well seasoned Vale Tudo fighter or a Muay Thai fighter - come on get real
Old 25 September 2006, 11:58 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Look Pete what martial arts gives you is an advantage - i'm sure most senior students or instructors will admit that it wont make you into Superman or Lenny M'clean but it does give you an advantage as you tend to keep cool (er) during a confrontation.

I did tae-kwondo for 4 years and admitedley i would not pick a fight with anyone in a pub but my instructor did the doors for years (which is as real as it gets) and he never got put down (he was only 12st btw)

To say that martial arts is play fighting is a load of b***ocks i on occasion used to come home with a bruised ribs/face/ego/bloody nose.

People who say that have never done it.

can you honestly say that a drunken git in the street would have a chance against a well seasoned Vale Tudo fighter or a Muay Thai fighter - come on get real
In the strange world PS Lewis lives in - yes
Old 25 September 2006, 12:03 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

not sticking up for anyone, but if 5 or more drunken idiots jump even the most decorated fighter, the odds are stacked very heavily against him.

Like pete said, there are no rules in street brawling, and you cant tell me you have never seen people gang up on another.

back to the topic, its a great way of keeping fit, and any decent instructor will not see you left behind
Old 25 September 2006, 12:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
No, what I'm saying is that a street fighter would eat them for breakfast - I never said anything about being drunk! (thats for doormen, man handling drunken 14 year olds!)

Pete
Old 25 September 2006, 12:49 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

No, what I'm saying is that a street fighter would eat them for breakfast - I never said anything about being drunk! (thats for doormen, man handling drunken 14 year olds!)

Pete

A street fighter like Lenny M'clean or Roy Shaw in their prime would murder 99.9% of martial artists out there i will agree on that one.

0.01% being Bruce Lee
Old 25 September 2006, 01:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

not sticking up for anyone, but if 5 or more drunken idiots jump even the most decorated fighter, the odds are stacked very heavily against him
Against your average martial arts fighter who isn't a brawler at heart and who has less than 5 years experience I agree. But I know a few guys that have been doing martial arts for 15+ years and who were by their own admission brawlers before that and they would dispatch with 5 unarmed neds more often than not.

The point is you NEVER know who you are picking a fight with so just keep yourself to yourself IMHO.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:12 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Against your average martial arts fighter who isn't a brawler at heart and who has less than 5 years experience I agree. But I know a few guys that have been doing martial arts for 15+ years and who were by their own admission brawlers before that and they would dispatch with 5 unarmed neds more often than not.

The point is you NEVER know who you are picking a fight with so just keep yourself to yourself IMHO.

My ex instructor admitted to me once he took up martial arts so he could learn to fight better.
I can honestly say he walks the walk - i'm a really big fella and in comps been up against some equally big and bigger fellas (who have all t**tted me btw ha ha) but my instructor weighed bang on 12 stone and looking at him you wouldn't think twice, but i have never to this day been hit as hard, i swear it was like being hit by a hammer

He used to say to teh senior students i can go easy on you or hard on you but if i go easy you will never learn - boy did i learn quick

Last edited by The Chief; 25 September 2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:14 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I can see what you mean in some respects Pete.

I did TaeKwonDo years back and TBH being able to break a plank 6ft op in the air is hardly going to help you when you have a couple of lads bearing down on you.

I did Kung Fu for a time a few years back. This was a lot different, it was far more about being able to handles yourself in a real life situation.

Semi contact sparring in every session and at the end of most sessions we had to go in padded up against one of the instructors. They were only aloud to punch but you could do whatever. As that was full contact, you did get used to being punched very heavily in the head which I assure you still takes you by surprise even with head gear.

I imagine kick boxing as well due to the fact that there is alot of padded semi to full contact sparring would also help you in real life.

I don't know what you mean by a streetfighter do you mean Ken, Ryu, Blanka and Chun Lee. I've never met them in the street.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I don't know what you mean by a streetfighter do you mean Ken, Ryu, Blanka and Chun Lee. I've never met them in the street.
I mean the lads you get round these parts, generally Irish .... they close the street illegally to have a little fistie cuffs. It's generally a country lane - I wouldn't fancy the chances of any Martial Arts Expert.

Pete
Old 25 September 2006, 01:25 PM
RapidSeven
Scooby Regular

Always entertaining when you decide to post up replies Pete

Does us a favour, go onto the " Cage Fighting " thread and have a go on there, there's alot that needs clearing up, and your voice of reason is needed id say !

ATB Pete

R7
Old 25 September 2006, 02:39 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I can see what you mean in some respects Pete.

I did TaeKwonDo years back and TBH being able to break a plank 6ft op in the air is hardly going to help you when you have a couple of lads bearing down on you.

Totally agree - i did TKD for 4 years - dont get me wrong loved it but breaking planks and a reverse hook or turning kick will end you on your a*se in the street. i learnt a lot but too much time was wasted doing patterns and the syllabus imo. rather than doing self defence

Quick Reply: Kick Boxing