Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got a Recaro child seat?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 11:50 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got a Recaro child seat?

My daughter is due to graduate into a forward facing child seat soon and the wife of all people, wants this seat

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=564&region=1&L=2

Obviously Recaro are up there with the dogs danglies when it comes to big people sized seats, but anyone got any thoughts or reviews on the kiddie variants?

Ta

Last edited by talizman; 21 September 2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 21 September 2006, 11:58 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Looked at one today and in the end decided not to go for it.

We ended up with one of these. It only does up to 4 years old (the Recaro 12) but is the highest scoring non-isofix baby seat with NCAP and the NCAP rules limit the scores of non-isofix seats to a maximum of 4 stars. Regarded by some testers as the safest seat: -

Maxi Cosi

Excellent, solid fit in the car.

If it had been solely my decision I would have gone for the Recaro which is also very well put together and very safe. Most of the cheaper seats actually had very poor quality padding. Not these two.

Rannoch
Old 22 September 2006, 12:58 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I had a Recaro in my Porsche; it was excellent. I didnt have much choice though as no other manufacturer made a seat thatd fit into the formed rear 'seats'.

Simon
Old 22 September 2006, 07:05 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

I have the recaro start (Uses car seatbelt not three point harness) and I think its a fantastic seat. Only downside is the routing of the belt across the childs neck but a small child pack can be bought for it which boosts them up so the belt goes across properly. Its a lot easier than the other seat we have in the other car which I can't stand.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:56 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I've got the Recaro Young Expert Plus for my 15mth daughter and it's great. Very solid fit with the 3point harness, excellent support for her and will go until she's 4 years old.

No problems with the harness of the seat proper - the seat belt fits between the back & front of the car seat on red placement markers so it's really easy to fit and take out again. The harness is fully adjustable with pads and we're very happy with it overall.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:59 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

We've got this one, but in silver/black.

Young Expert Plus
Old 07 March 2008, 11:51 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

resurrected, thanks to the good old search option!

does anyone have a recaro young expert in a bugeye?

we tried a couple of seats today and bought a maxi cosi one for mrs g's meriva, but the same seat suffers from "buckle crunch" in mine....so looks like the recaro young expert will be a good option for my car

Last edited by richardg; 07 March 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07 March 2008, 01:03 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I looked at these, stupidly expensive for what they are. Ended up with a mamas and papas protec for £50.
Old 07 March 2008, 08:58 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

I wanted a Recaro but she insisted on this Brittax which looks rank!
Old 07 March 2008, 09:05 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

ive noticed all of us blokes want a recaro but our lasses say no and get something else
i wanted recaro's for my 2 daughters but ended up with brittax
Old 07 March 2008, 09:06 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richardg
resurrected, thanks to the good old search option!

does anyone have a recaro young expert in a bugeye?

we tried a couple of seats today and bought a maxi cosi one for mrs g's meriva, but the same seat suffers from "buckle crunch" in mine....so looks like the recaro young expert will be a good option for my car
i have this seat in my bugeye and it fits perfect,i can also say its a quality seat too

Bebe Confort Iseos TT In BB Rouge In Stock Now on eBay, also, Forward Facing 9-18kg, Car Seats, Baby (end time 24-Mar-08 19:57:42 GMT)
Old 07 March 2008, 09:14 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maxi cosi tobi for me in the harry colour way, very good match for my sti seats, and more important a good fit and good seat
Old 07 March 2008, 09:30 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Got a Young Sport and a Brittex for my niece and have to say the Brittex is more secure IMHO.
Old 07 March 2008, 09:37 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Brittax / Roemer win all the safety awards here . However if looks are more important, then by all means go for something else!
Old 07 March 2008, 09:41 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

My faith in Recaro was lost after having to endure the "Recaro" branded aircraft seats on a number of long haul flights. Nothing like the seats in a RS Turbo (in terms of comfort)
Old 07 March 2008, 09:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by zs_phil
ive noticed all of us blokes want a recaro but our lasses say no and get something else
i wanted recaro's for my 2 daughters but ended up with brittax
Read my post then! I loved the Recaros on my FRST, but there's no way I'm paying silly money for baby bling.
Old 07 March 2008, 11:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I wanted one too of course, but the reviews were bad at the time and the Maxi Cosy was safer and much cheaper & more practical.

Maybe Recaro moved on by now? Does it have a 5 point with wings for when the kids go 'whee daddy you're fast' (mine do )

D
Old 08 March 2008, 08:49 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

we tried the maxi cosy mrs g has in her meriva, but it suffers from "buckle crunch" - if it fitted ok i'd go with that

might look at brittax now then...
Old 08 March 2008, 10:06 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Have to agrea that back when me and the wife were in in the market for a child seat for the car as usual it was me that wanted the usual mans choice ie. the " Recaro " despite there price !! was advised to have a read off there reviews first and was somewhat surprised to find out that the recaro childs seat was not considered to be the best in terms off safety / comfort , it was obviously decided that the kids safety was off more importance than looks and a fancy name.

having said all that this was some 10 years ago and no doubt the things have moved on but would personally do a bit more homework on the very subject first before splashing the cash.

would have a look at some off there other makes off child seat available today as there really is some very sporty looking versions available most at what would probably only be a fraction off the cost off the " Recaro " !!
Old 08 March 2008, 01:43 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I know they are expensive but go for Maxi Cosi. The Tobi/Priorifix (ISOFIX one) consistently come top in the Which safety reports, and they aregreat sears. Have a look at Glasgow Pram Centre - The Online Discount Superstore for Baby Goods for the best prices. I have used them for both the above seats.

One thing, if you are going for a garish colour make sure you have seen it in the flesh before ordering it. We ordered one and when it turned up it was brown, didnt look like that in the picture....so we paid to send it back and get a black one !!

Dave
Old 08 March 2008, 06:58 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Got two matching colour Recaro's, a 'young expert plus' for my son, and a baby carrier + ISOFIX base. Can't fault them for build quality, and fit nice in both my VW Bora and the company Mundane. We are looking for an 'upgrade' now for the daughters baby carrier, as shes now 8 1/2 months.

Proby