Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Orange data roaming charges!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 12:03 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Orange data roaming charges!!!

Just got my bill covering my most recent trip to NY a week or so ago.
Not talking about calls here- I have the frequent traveller call pack which reduces the calls nicely, so no problems with the call charges at all.

No net access in apartment at the moment- so connected laptop via phone and used it as a modem (n80).
Bill says:

Cingular USA ------------------ Data-- 16.5730 Megabytes - £132.584

That is INSANE
Old 21 September 2006, 01:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

It's madness the fees that are charged for roaming, both data and phone. I'd imagine that the extra cost to the home based service provider is not much more than their standard UK tariffs, it's just taking people for a ride.

I use the wireless facility abroad and sniff out local connections for free and NEVER use the roaming facility on a datacard.
Old 21 September 2006, 04:41 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Until they sort out the data charging tariff's it will never be ubiquitous as they would like.

It's a total rip off.......they are trying to get back the 34 gazillion squid old Tony made them pay for the licenses.....

(the above figures may be factually incorrect)
Old 21 September 2006, 05:11 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Oh i agree I usually try and hop onto a wireless network, but in this apartment building there are three- and all are password protected.
So no option really- knew it would be a lot. Was expecting something like £2/3 a mb though- £8 is taking the **** a little!
Old 21 September 2006, 10:00 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Not just Orange - Vodafone are as bad.

We've been trialling 3G cards and even within europe the costs are a killer - even when using Vodafone in Germany, France or Spain with a Vodafone UK card !

Assuming you travel reasonably regularly, it's way cheaper to buy domestic cards in each country and disable the roaming.
Old 21 September 2006, 10:10 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
Not just Orange - Vodafone are as bad.

We've been trialling 3G cards and even within europe the costs are a killer - even when using Vodafone in Germany, France or Spain with a Vodafone UK card !

Assuming you travel reasonably regularly, it's way cheaper to buy domestic cards in each country and disable the roaming.
The eye opener is exactly how much data you download just doing a little web browsing. Conversely I had the F1 live timing on throughout the Hungarian Grand Prix and it cost me very little, fortunate as the TV pictures we had were from RTL (German).

I've worked out what I'm going to do next time I'm abroad, use the Passport service whereby a pay 75p per call and then use my UK calls allowance to connect to a PC at home, remotely control it and browse the web from there.