Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Delinquent

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2006, 07:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delinquent

Continuing on from some of the employment threads that have been on here last couple of days, I thought I'd share this.

My wife works part time term time for a large IT Services company. This is the first year which she has done so (term time), and due to the summer break has been off for 6 weeks or so.

Before she went on leave she completed her latest time sheet which can only be completed up to four weeks in advance. Obviously as she has been on leave she has not completed her August timesheet, and would have done so on her return to work tomorrow.

She has connected up her laptop today to download her emails which is not something she would normally do as she is in a junior role and is not expected or indeed able to work from home, one of the emails was from her manager stating that she was "delinquent", for not completing her timesheet. The inference was that this would count against her in terms of reviews for bonus and such like.

The irony is her people manager has met her once, works part time due to RSI and expects my wife to travel 150 mile round trip to meet her at a time that suits her because she is not prepared to travel anywhere. This is a stupid setup where your task manager is not your people manager and visa versa.

Naturally she is livid. What do you all think she should do?
Old 05 September 2006, 07:11 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I would check out what delinquent really means in this case.

I have worked in many organisations that required timesheets and the stock phrase for being behind with your timesheets is that you are 'delinquent'.

As a manager I would be required to forward on the appropriate email to remind those who were 'delinquent' to get sorted.

In all situations that is pretty much as much as it meant.

I would check that delinquent in this case really means a review impact, or whether they are just using a phrase that is on common use in time recording systems.

Rannoch
Old 05 September 2006, 07:14 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Remain calm..............

Simply contact the manager and explain why, just a jobsworth by the sound of things..... but all the same don't 'stoke the fire'....... as she may of just wrongly worded her email....

A quick cheery call is all that's needed...........

And if that doesn't work tell the old slag to stick her ****ing job where the sun doesn't shine... ****ing RSI old cripple......
Old 05 September 2006, 07:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Apart from her telling them to stuff their job and find something else I'd be inclined to use video conferencing, for example Skype, to communicate with the lazy bugger that won't travel anywhere. If a conference call is needed, fine, there's videoconferencing software.

We use iChat internally (the version in 10.5 looks to be even better as well) and it serves us very well. It's not that the boss is too lazy to meet up with us, it's just that flying out to Canada from the UK for a simple meeting isn't really worth it
Old 05 September 2006, 07:22 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Delinquent just means 'late' in this case.

Unless she assisted Charles I or II by arms, money or personal service in levying war 1642 - 1660, that would have her titled 'delinquent' as well
Old 05 September 2006, 07:29 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I reckon its that time of the month for both women involved. these things happen
Old 05 September 2006, 07:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I concur with the use of the word, what gets my goat is that her manager knows she is on leave and has just issued the email without even thinking.
Old 05 September 2006, 08:10 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

If my timesheet is delinquent it generally means nothing except some manager somewhere is getting upset that his metrics are out. I get an email warning me it's delinquent, which gets immediately deleted - at least it would if I didn't already have an Outlook filter set up to do that for me automatically.

Could be worth a follow up call to see what the score is though....
Old 05 September 2006, 08:20 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

matt, your missus's manager sounds like a complete tit. I suggest you get the manager to read the new rules at work...actually get your wife to read this instead

https://www.scoobynet.com/new-rules-work-t541516.html
Old 05 September 2006, 08:48 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

lol at Swiss

I've advised her to raise it politely, pointing out that she is unable to complete time sheets that far in advance.