Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Repayment advice.

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 01:54 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repayment advice.

My wife and I have an Egg card that we use for big purchases etc. Nearly all of the time we pay the full balance every month, only a couple of times have we paid less than 75% of the balance.

A few months ago I set up a direct debit to make a payment of the full balance on the 3rd of each month.

On August 3rd they tried to take a payment of £136 from our day-to-day current account but due to a ****-up on my part there wasnt enough money in there to pay it. They called me and said they'd take the payment on August 11th so I made sure there was enough money there to pay it.

They wrote to confirm the payment had been returned and state they would ask my bank again "within 7-10 days"

I told my wife not to use the account until the middle of last week, sure that the payment would have gone by then.

She spend £60 odd on the card on Thursday.

Today Egg have text'd me asking me to call them.

I had a look at online banking to see they have not taken their payment and there isnt quite enough in there for it.

So what I now have is a situation where they've tried to take a payment twice and its failed.

I will call them this evening to pay them with a debit card from a non-everyday account. However, they will change me £30 for being late - again

What I'm miffed about is that they said they'd take the payment on the 11th, wrote to say it would be taken before the 15th then decide to try and take it on the 21st.

Advice please.
Old 21 August 2006, 01:59 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Goochie
My wife and I have an Egg card that we use for big purchases etc. Nearly all of the time we pay the full balance every month, only a couple of times have we paid less than 75% of the balance.

A few months ago I set up a direct debit to make a payment of the full balance on the 3rd of each month.

On August 3rd they tried to take a payment of £136 from our day-to-day current account but due to a ****-up on my part there wasnt enough money in there to pay it. They called me and said they'd take the payment on August 11th so I made sure there was enough money there to pay it.

They wrote to confirm the payment had been returned and state they would ask my bank again "within 7-10 days"

I told my wife not to use the account until the middle of last week, sure that the payment would have gone by then.

I had a look at online banking to see they have not taken their payment and there isnt quite enough in there for it.

So what I now have is a situation where they've tried to take a payment twice and its failed.

I will call them this evening to pay them with a debit card from a non-everyday account. However, they will change me £30 for being late - again

What I'm miffed about is that they said they'd take the payment on the 11th, wrote to say it would be taken before the 15th then decide to try and take it on the 21st.

Advice please.
When you call to pay, argue the toss with them, then once it's resolved cut the card up and send it back.
Old 21 August 2006, 02:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Banks generally couldn't care less about your payment history when it comes to overdure payments or charges.

Pay it off, send the card back and get another banks card.
Old 21 August 2006, 02:25 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

I read somewhere (here, actually) about being able to claim back bank charges. I know its only a small ammount compared to what some people claim, but it this the kind of charge you can get back if you fight?
Old 21 August 2006, 02:28 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I read somewhere (here, actually) about being able to claim back bank charges. I know its only a small ammount compared to what some people claim, but it this the kind of charge you can get back if you fight?
IIRC that applied to banks and their charges for sending you letters telling you, you were overdrawn etc, i.e. charging you £30 for a letter is unreasonable. I'm not sure if late payment penalties on credit cards apply, but it may be worth a try.

On one occasion I got clobbered for late payment as I hadn't been sent a statement and so didn't pay the bill. I argued with them about it and got it credited back to my account.
Old 21 August 2006, 02:48 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Advice please.
Yeah, give the wife a black eye, and tell her to ******* listen next time !!
Old 21 August 2006, 03:28 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Set the DD to min payment and then manage it yourself.

Trending Topics

Old 21 August 2006, 03:33 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I had an Egg card once and ended up with similar problems when I switched bank accounts and the direct debit went a little awry. Within the space of 48 hours they wrote to me, emailed me twice and phoned me 4 times.

I cleared the account and wouldn't go back!
Old 21 August 2006, 03:54 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Due to being a hopelessly disorganised case I have been charged for late/completely missed payments on just about everything.

I politely point out all the mistakes they have made in the past and that I have never charged them so 'lets be fair about this'

and so far I have a 100% record of getting the money back
Old 21 August 2006, 04:03 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

If you explain the situation as ... you thought they had already taken the money out, firstly on the 11th when advised and then on the 15th when advised the second time. And that had they advised you a third time that they would in fact being taking it on the 21st, then you'd have been the first to advise them there'd be no money in the account on that date

Regardless as a consequence you made sure money was available on the 11th and the 15th and when those dates passed you thought everything was OK. However, not knowing the money would come out on the 21st - by this time there was not enough funds in the account - you were unable to advise Egg that they cocked up and for this you apologise.

Be civil, and talk about it as if it was there **** up. At the end of the call decide how much you'll charge them for having to explain their ****-up to them.

Seriously though, Egg are OK and they'll probably wave it.
Old 21 August 2006, 04:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'm so disorganised I feckin make payments even when I don't owe them anything?!?!?!? I'm in credit on several cards.............
Old 21 August 2006, 05:06 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I'm so disorganised I feckin make payments even when I don't owe them anything?!?!?!? I'm in credit on several cards.............
a woman would never make that mistake
Old 22 August 2006, 10:44 AM
shaun1967
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by OllyK
IIRC that applied to banks and their charges for sending you letters telling you, you were overdrawn etc, i.e. charging you £30 for a letter is unreasonable. I'm not sure if late payment penalties on credit cards apply, but it may be worth a try.

On one occasion I got clobbered for late payment as I hadn't been sent a statement and so didn't pay the bill. I argued with them about it and got it credited back to my account.

hiya, the same principle applies to credit cards, loans, mortgages, catalogues, etc. etc.
they have rules to abide by but they make up their own as they go along because they think they are untouchable, problem is so do most of their customers. have a pop over to consumer corner. its not just bank charges you can claim back.
Old 22 August 2006, 11:29 AM
Kuohu
Scooby Regular

I believe that the charge is now £16 per violation.
http://new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_1108...w_1068,00.html
This change followed the FSA's advice that charges like £30 are excessive.

In terms of claiming back any bank/credit card charges, yes you can attempt to do this by threatening to take legal action against your bank. To date, I understand that all claims have been settled out of court by the banks repaying the charges, going back 6 years worth. You can get lots of advice and information on this from:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
and
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

That said, if it's your first time then I would have expected them to refund at least half of the fee?

Nick