Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bilbao recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 10:07 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilbao recommendations?

Myself and 12 others are off to Bilbao at the weekend for a mate's 40th birthday (making me feel old!) and just wondering if anybody has any recommendations?

We are staying at the Sheraton which looks pretty central, and hoping to catch Athletic Bilbao v Real Sociedad on Sunday night (Basque derby so should be lively!)

By the looks of things, Guggenheim looks interesting, but anybody else been recently or have any inside knowledge on the place?

Thanks
Old 22 August 2006, 11:19 AM
Kuohu
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in this too as I may be going in November. So far I have looked at ferries (very expensive), and trains (very long journey). I can't seem to find any budget air travel to a nearby airport (flying from either Brum or Coventry). Also when I'm there I will want cheap accomodation, but not grotty if you know what I mean. Cheap but respectable!
Old 22 August 2006, 11:50 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

The Guggenheim is an obvious one, try to get there round 17.00 to avoid the queues which can be huge. There are heaps of churches to look at around the river area but I'd recommend eating out at every opportunity as the Basques are serious foodies and unlike the rest of Spain where cooking is considered to be women's work, the blokes get very heated about food with rows frequently breaking out. Consequently, this is one of the best areas of Spain for food so try and find somewhere that doesn't look too pretentious, with plenty of locals and don't forget to eat later than your'e used to - 23.00 onwards.