Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile Speed Gun Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2006, 12:10 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Speed Gun Calibration

Just been caught by the boys in Blue on the good old A65 again. I should know by now this road is always patrolled on a Sunday.
Anyway, the camera I was "caught" by was calibrated in May of this year, I thought that they had to calibrated everyday before they where used?
Just a long shot but worth a try.
Old 20 August 2006, 12:56 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

they are officially calibrated every 3 or 6 months i think, but should be setup every time they are taken out, so the certificate or label wont show but it should be in the officers notebook i would think that he did the on site calibration !

Not necessarily the case, just how i understand it from reading loads about this !
Old 20 August 2006, 05:40 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Just found this, seems like the officer should have enter the fact of calibration in his note book. The one that got me certantly didn't, I asked him twice.

"11 May 1992. M27 junction 2. 98.96mph. Allegedly. I challenged it but I did not know before what I knew after my Ex-traffic cop expert had gone through the details. If ever stopped by police operating the Vascar or Police Pilot time/distance gizmos, the very first question to ask is "Please show me your notebook to confirm that you undertook the standard check and test of the equipment at the start of your shift". If he/she can produce it (it MUST be for evidence purposes if it goes to court) and it shows a test -time, distance, location - motorway marker idents and x-reffed vehicle speedo/vascar speed calc then you are likely to be stuffed. However if the notebook cannot or is refused to be shown, then this will form the basis of your defence - the doubt must be raised in the magistrates minds that the alleged speed was not what it could have been and conviction would be unsafe.uipment was calibrated/checked. So, the doubt goes in your favour and unless you've used a Norton defence (admitted excess speed but deny actual speed alleged) the case cannot be proved."

Last edited by compshack; 20 August 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 20 August 2006, 09:00 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Did you show them your license, or any other official form of identification. If not, then I believe you can get your brief to represent you in court in your absence, and as there is no true way to establish your identity it cannot be proven that you were the driver of the vehicle on that day. I read about this on here recently, refering to a case won by Nick Freeman.
Old 20 August 2006, 11:32 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

im not having it that as the alleged offender /speeder you can/would ask the dibble to produce to you, at the roadside his/her notebook in order that the alleged can inspect it. absolute pish, and, to use this as the basis of your defence is laughable.
im not suggesting for a minute that the cop shouldnt conduct the callibration test each time he/she uses it, but im quite sure he/she does not have to show it on request at the roadside. if it is produced in court then that would suffice. all imo of course.