Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car seat on a plane

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2006, 04:49 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car seat on a plane

We'll be traveling to Aus at Xmas with a 9 month old and a 3 year old...... gluttons for punishment I know!!!!!
I've been looking for an appropriate car seat to take for the littl'un but am struggling. Most airlines say that any approved seat that will fit with a lap belt and is no more than 16" wide is ok. Trouble is that our Britax Rennaissance is 17" wide and weighs a ton. I don't fancy lugging it around the airports.
The Britax Freeway is lighter and more compact but is actually 18" wide. I've looked at the seating guides and most economy seats are only 17.5" wide.

We have booked four centre seats in a row and won't be intruding on anyone else's space.

Has anybody experienced this problem or have any advice? I don't mind buying another seat but don't want one of these huge things with a separate frame.

Last edited by SimonD; 11 August 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 14 August 2006, 09:01 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We have travelled to the USA with two kids and have used the Britax Eclipse seats which are good for kids aged 9 months to 4 years.

Never had a problem with getting them to fit. We have had the seats on the following aircraft, B777, B737, B757, B767, Various airbuses, MD80, Embraer 135. But not a 747 however I do not think it would be a problem.

Only had one problem when some arsy Air France pilot refused to allows to use the seats on an Embraer jet from Aberdeen to Paris however we did not have any problems with Air france on the transatlantic sector. Ithink Virgin may not allow you to use the car seats either so its worth checking with the airline.

I have lugged two seats around the airport and it is a bit tiring however it is work it because you can keep the kids in their seats on the aircraft.

Only problem is that they can kick the seats in front so if possible get the bulkhead seats.

Also a bit of a pain getting the seats onto the aircraft and getting them buckled in before all of the rest of the passengers get on !

Definately worth doing it as the advantage far outways the hassles especially on a long flight. Also you will need car seats at the other end anyway !

If you have any other questions send me a pm.

Kiwi
Old 14 August 2006, 09:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be stuffed with Semtex, if so then you have no chance.
Old 14 August 2006, 11:21 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Was on a flight recently and a couple in front had installed their kid and baby seat, all belted in with the standard seat strap.

Cabin crew made them remove their seat, even though they claimed they'd used it several times before no probs, and kid was re-seated in standard issue airline baby seat. It got a bit heated but cabin crew were adamant.

Can't remember what airline though so maybe best to check ahead.

Richard.
Old 15 August 2006, 09:43 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonD
We have booked four centre seats in a row and won't be intruding on anyone else's space.
Except perhaps their ear-space ??
Old 15 August 2006, 09:47 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ewwwww 9 hour flight with screaming kids
Old 15 August 2006, 10:02 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Does it fit in a small see through plastic bag?

Seriuosly though, another terrorist plot could seriously screw up any plans you make!
Old 15 August 2006, 04:58 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I've looked at this some more. We had booked with Thai Airlines and they recommend using a car seat. Unfortunately they limit it to 16" wide and the Eclipse is a little wider. The Freeway is wider still but is lighter. The Rennaisance weighs 25lbs and is out of the question!

I've only just noticed that BA and Virgin have their own kiddie seats - we may have to cancel and re-book to sort this out. I wouldn't like to turn up at Heathrow at the moment with a huge car seat as hand baggage!