Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Having the urge to buy things?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2006, 10:25 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having the urge to buy things?

I'm not much of a materialist, although I have bought expensive stuff I cant afford in the past, but it's not to be better than next door, I just want to experience different things in life.
I do find however, in general the UK population seems to buy bigger, better, more and more stuff for no real reason?
Why do we need so much clutter, trinkets and mementoes just taking up space time and effort to keep the dust off?
Obviously we need not live in a mud hut and sit on a stool carved from a nearby tree, harping on about global warming and stuff.
I just dont get why in the main that people need quite so much "stuff" to just live.
Cupboards full of china when only 2 people live in the house, a wardrobe of shoes and only two feet to put them on.
You know the stuff, women collecting small teddies or china teaspoons and **** like that.

What's inherently wrong with just living the simple life?

Andy
Old 10 August 2006, 10:31 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with a simple life if that's what you want, just that's not everybody's cup of tea.
Old 10 August 2006, 10:45 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
I'm not much of a materialist, although I have bought expensive stuff I cant afford in the past, but it's not to be better than next door, I just want to experience different things in life.
I do find however, in general the UK population seems to buy bigger, better, more and more stuff for no real reason?
Why do we need so much clutter, trinkets and mementoes just taking up space time and effort to keep the dust off?
Obviously we need not live in a mud hut and sit on a stool carved from a nearby tree, harping on about global warming and stuff.
I just dont get why in the main that people need quite so much "stuff" to just live.
Cupboards full of china when only 2 people live in the house, a wardrobe of shoes and only two feet to put them on.
You know the stuff, women collecting small teddies or china teaspoons and **** like that.

What's inherently wrong with just living the simple life?

Andy
i know exactly what you mean i was thinking this the other day myself...

i realised i couldnt do without 'stuff'...!!!

edited to add...i dont like tatt though
Old 11 August 2006, 08:04 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

mmm, expensive stereos? stripping your car for the "full on race effect"? That sort of thing fuzz?
Know what you mean though mate, don't actually need all the crap I've got, but it's fun having it, and you only live once
Old 11 August 2006, 08:39 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At my age you start to realise what it's all about ..........................

The important things are Family, Friends, Health and Time - take either one of those building blocks of a happy life away and no amount of money can compensate.

Time, in particular puts its price up as you get older ..... when I was young and struggling to keep the familys head above the rocketing mortgage payments, then I would sell a day of my life to my employer for a few £££££'s

Now, I would not sell a day of my life to anyone for anything - which makes me stand agast at those who work overtime (when financially they do not have to) ............... to gain a few more £££££s they sell days of their lives!

Ask yourselves what you will think about on your death bed ............... will you think about that job at work where you wished you had worked more weekends on?? Will you wish you had a bigger tele?? Will you wish that you had the fastest Impreza this side of dreamland?

NO! .............. what you WILL think of are those times you laid on the jetty, crab fishing with your child as the sun sparkled on the water - watching their eyes as they catch yet another crab!!

You will think about the kids burrying Dad up to his neck in sand on the beach, you will think about the quiet walks through the fields with your dog, you will think about your first love, you will think about that camping trip on the riverbank where you had to walk a mile to wash in a cold converted stable.

You will think about the free things in life .................................... money has no value in your last moments.

Remember that a shroud has no pockets!! Do not value money above all things - earn it, use it wisely, but it means very little ..............
And don't waste it on CockLinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete
Old 11 August 2006, 09:04 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

pslewis - that has to be one of the best posts I've ever read on Scoobynet
Old 11 August 2006, 09:20 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
Random chance says that it in 18,000 posts, at least one of them won't be complete drivel but yup - best post from PSL I've ever seen!
Old 11 August 2006, 09:31 AM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
what you WILL think of are those times you laid on the jetty, crab fishing with your child as the sun sparkled on the water - watching their eyes as they catch yet another crab!!

You will think about the kids burrying Dad up to his neck in sand on the beach, you will think about the quiet walks through the fields with your dog, you will think about your first love, you will think about that camping trip on the riverbank where you had to walk a mile to wash in a cold converted stable.
Pete my man, you take some rubbish holidays

But have to agree that your sentiment was spot on, and was a joy to read.
Old 11 August 2006, 09:48 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

What a load of bollocks! To quote mr. lewis
NO! .............. what you WILL think of are those times you laid on the jetty, crab fishing with your child as the sun sparkled on the water - watching their eyes as they catch yet another crab!!

You will think about the kids burrying Dad up to his neck in sand on the beach, you will think about the quiet walks through the fields with your dog, you will think about your first love, you will think about that camping trip on the riverbank where you had to walk a mile to wash in a cold converted stable
Unless you live by a river or the sea, how did you get to this jetty or beach in the first place? I'd be in my "the fastest Impreza this side of dreamland" and have fun getting there in the first place
Next you go onto camping on some farmers land, illegally, while using a "cold converted stable"! wtf! That cold converted stable was converted into a mews house years ago, with some yuppie couple and a BMW X5 camped outside. Try washing yourselves there matey and you'll have the police round stamping on your tent in no time

Dreamland indeed Mr. Lewis, and the rest of you, stop encouraging him
Old 11 August 2006, 10:51 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Less is more, as they say.

I buy expensive stuff, but only stuff I need, Hi-Fi, Xbox 360, big TV, etc, etc, but I really can't stand clutter. How people let there house resemble a tip is beyond me. Everything should have a place, and go out and buy tat just for the sake of it, or it looks nice it stupid.
Old 11 August 2006, 11:02 AM
Ipkis' Wifey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
one of the best things i've read on a forum anywhere... have even posted it onto another forum
Old 11 August 2006, 11:06 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Less is more, as they say.

I buy expensive stuff, but only stuff I need, Hi-Fi, Xbox 360, big TV, etc, etc,
Oh the irony!!!

Pissy, Indeed a very true post.
Old 11 August 2006, 11:36 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

Theres nothing in life that says you have to 'buy' your own home etc..
Keep buying home cinema / hifi and live at home and spend loads on the car

Sounds like a plan...
Old 11 August 2006, 11:43 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
Theres nothing in life that says you have to 'buy' your own home etc..
There isn't, except it doesn't do a great deal for your emotional and social development.
Old 11 August 2006, 12:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

PSL, as I get older my mind wanders back to the days when I used to catch crabs.......
Old 11 August 2006, 12:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

And anyway PSL, I am all for the sage, wise, Yoda speech it was very prophetic but this did not ring true,

'Remember that a shroud has no pockets!! Do not value money above all things - earn it, use it wisely, but it means very little ..............'

Thats is in direct contradiction of 99 % of every other post you have made !
Old 11 August 2006, 01:14 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Live and let live. I'm not a materialistic person, but if you've got plenty of money and want to spend it on stuff then that's your money and your choice. If you want to work long hours then it's your life and your choice.

We all make our own choices in life and shouldn't feel that we're better than people who make different lifestyle choices. There's enough things to make us feel guilty in this world, without feeling the pressure to conform to someone else's ideals.

"Be most excellent unto each other and party on!"

Old 11 August 2006, 01:17 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

shall i'll cancel the order for the indoor pool extension then
Old 11 August 2006, 01:23 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
shall i'll cancel the order for the indoor pool extension then
I thought you were just buying me a shovel?
Old 11 August 2006, 03:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Outstanding post PSL, I agree with all of that and with Andy too. Saved me having to say it.

Les