Vulcan XH558 not going to fly :(

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2006, 09:10 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vulcan XH558 not going to fly :(

well not yet at least

It is with great regret that the Trustees of Vulcan to the Sky have been obliged to issue letters of termination of contract to the workforce at Bruntingthorpe and Wimborne.

Despite unremitting and continuing efforts to find a major benefactor or sponsor for the project, none has yet been identified. Escalating costs mean that a million pounds are still needed before the end of August if the aircraft is to be returned to flight next year.
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/index2.php

What a great oppertunity for someone like Richard Branson to sink a measly 1 million into this project to finish it, perhaps painting the tail in Virgin colours for fantastic advertising at every air show.

Hope they find the money soon, in th mean time I'm going to watch Iron Maidens Bruce Dickinson taxi a Vulcan up and down Southend airport this saturday. http://www.avrovulcan.com/nexttaxy.htm
Old 10 August 2006, 10:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now the temptation must be akin to the rythym method !
Old 10 August 2006, 10:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

thats a major blow.... branson where are you!!

mart
Old 11 August 2006, 12:35 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

and Im sure if some fringe theatre group needed a million quid for their latest folly they'd get it in an instant!
Old 11 August 2006, 12:37 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Southend's Vulcan, one of the only three "live" ones, is doing a fast runway run this weekend in case anyone's interested, Sunday about 2pm i think, all entrance fees to its continued restoration. Not a patch on seeing it roar vertically up into the sky at deafening sound levels, but the best we've got for now.

Jaybird sorry i didn't read your last paragraph.
Old 11 August 2006, 12:39 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Southend's Vulcan, one of the only three "live" ones, is doing a fast runway run this weekend in case anyone's interested, Sunday about 2pm i think, all entrance fees to its continued restoration. Not a patch on seeing it roar vertically up into the sky at deafening sound levels, but the best we've got for now.
Read my first post :P
Old 11 August 2006, 12:40 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Read my edit
Old 11 August 2006, 12:41 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Think Branson might just have his hands full at the moment?

Hope you get someone who has a spare £1m burning a hole in their pocket !
Old 11 August 2006, 01:28 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Read my edit
lol

As Jacko said, the temptation to pull back on the stick must be incredible!

I can only think Bruce is the pilot for a new series of his heavy metal aircraft. The last series was commercial, Im hoping the next one is military aircraft.
Old 11 August 2006, 01:32 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Can't believe there isn't the cash to get a Vulcan airborne again.
Old 11 August 2006, 01:36 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Did you know the Vulcan was originally designed without the need for a rear tail..... but the designers had to add one after complaints from pilots.....
Old 11 August 2006, 01:38 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I didn't, no. It would look funny without a rear tail
Old 11 August 2006, 01:39 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Why?

Why should people contribute to something that only a minority of people (those involved) will get any benefit from.
If I was a pilot and would get to fly it, then yes I'd probably contribiute.

STilover

PS. I'm currently looking for people to donate £15,000 cash, as I want to update my Kitchen & Bathroom. Only I will get benefit from it, but all contributions welcome.

PPS. Sorry, in a p1ssy mood.
Old 11 August 2006, 01:43 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No i think you're wrong, i think a LOT of people would love to see a Vulcan flying again - i know i for one would make a lot of effort to get to an airshow if i knew it was flying. One of the most distinctive and evocative British aircraft of the past fifty years. Although the Vulcan Trust have done a good job, i reckon with better marketing, advertising and so on, they'd get the funds they need.
Old 11 August 2006, 01:50 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

No i think you're wrong, i think a LOT of people would love to see a Vulcan flying again - i know i for one would make a lot of effort to get to an airshow if i knew it was flying. One of the most distinctive and evocative British aircraft of the past fifty years. Although the Vulcan Trust have done a good job, i reckon with better marketing, advertising and so on, they'd get the funds they need.
Here here - have to agree
Old 11 August 2006, 01:52 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

A true delta wing...........
Old 11 August 2006, 01:57 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

In that case, why wasn't it preserved in the first place? Would have cost a lot less, no? And why should the likes of Richard Branson cough up £1m?

Why don't all those who want to watch it fly, give up there time and help restore it? or even help pay for it?

Because it would be easier to cry for handouts off Richard Branson, then probably call him a tight fisted B@stard when he refused.

Get off your @rse and go and help them.
Old 11 August 2006, 02:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Don't be a dick, very few people have the time or knowhow to spend their weekends travelling to Bruntingthorpe to restore a plane for free. Like to see it fly yes, give up my life for the cause, no. Branson could get his money back from this investment i'm sure of it, airshows i'm certain would pay good money for an appearance. But i'm not going to "blame" him if he doesn't cough up. And yes, with hindsight the VRT should have campaigned for funds a lot earlier when it was easier to restore, but they didn't. British mismanagement at its finest.

Last edited by TelBoy; 11 August 2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11 August 2006, 02:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The Vulcan would be very expensive to maintain if they did get it to fly again as well as the £1 million that they need to even get it into flying condition. It would cost about £5K at least to hire it for a display.

I knew about this problem some time ago and regret it very much since I was hoping to get my hands on it as an experienced Vulcan display pilot.

They have done a great deal of work to it and have decreased its weight by 9tons! by removing the operational radar equipment and wiring etc. Would go like a rocket now

I heard however that the CAA would only allow it to do a straight and level flypast at displays which really takes the shine off it. Not even a gentle wing over which is a shame since we used to get it upside down at the top of a wingover and other manoevres.

DCI, what do you mean by a "tail" on a Vulcan, It does not have a tailplane, the elevons on the trailing edge of the wing does all that business, and very effectively too. It does have a vertical fin of course, it would be unflyable without it! The rear fairing at the rear of the fuselage housed the radar equipment and other operational equipment as well as the tail brake chute. So where did the tail that you mentioned come from then?

I sincerely hope that someone comes up with the cash required. It was an outstanding aircraft to fly both in its operational role as well as displays. I loved it for the 11 years I flew it. Such a shame the Trust has had to give up at the moment and that it's future looks pretty grim. So many people have put a great deal into the hope to get it flying again.

Les
Old 11 August 2006, 05:01 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Sad story. I think it is imposible to find the money in time.

I might attend the roll out later this month (shame it is a week day though) anyone else going?

Last edited by Nicci; 11 August 2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11 August 2006, 06:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
DCI, what do you mean by a "tail" on a Vulcan, It does not have a tailplane, the elevons on the trailing edge of the wing does all that business, and very effectively too. It does have a vertical fin of course, it would be unflyable without it! The rear fairing at the rear of the fuselage housed the radar equipment and other operational equipment as well as the tail brake chute. So where did the tail that you mentioned come from then?
OK The 'vertical fin' then and with respect I would suggest you look into the original designs for the vulcan...... no vertical fin!! delta wing.... D E L T A - W I N G...................

Before you lot got your mits on them.......
Old 11 August 2006, 07:18 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I loved it for the 11 years I flew it. Les
You lucky lucky man
Old 11 August 2006, 09:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

anyone got bill gates email addy???

who cares if they put microsoft on its ars* as long as the old bird flys!!

Mart
Old 12 August 2006, 09:28 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
anyone got bill gates email addy???

who cares if they put microsoft on its ars* as long as the old bird flys!!

Mart
No not him - it would probably crash !!
Old 12 August 2006, 10:02 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

so its nothing to do with mr spock then??

never heard of the vulcan plane at all TBH
Old 12 August 2006, 10:20 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

The 2 big ones

Old 12 August 2006, 10:23 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Looking forward to this weekends run at Southend it always makes the house shake
Old 12 August 2006, 10:28 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Can be seen at the end of my garden

Old 12 August 2006, 01:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

DCI. well the Vertical fin is a great deal different to a tail plane which includes elevators. The elevator bit was taken care of by the Elevons which were designed to operate in a combination as both elevator and ailerons. The tail fin was essential to flying the aircraft since without directional stability it would very soon crash! The adverse aileron effect from all those elevons along the trailing edge made it essential to have a vertical fin and rudder since it was always necessary to use the rudder as well as the alieron sense for a turn to keep the aircraft in balanced flying during the entry to the turn. This was more marked at lower speeds because of the greater aileron deflection, in fact at pattern speeds you could turn very well using the rudder alone. Without the rudder and fin if you entered say a right hand turn the aircraft would yaw to the left and without a fin you would lose control. A good example of this was the Jumbo which crashed over Japan when it lost its tail fin.

I cannot believe that Roy Chadwick would design it without a vertical fin. If you have proof I would be very interested. The small test versions which used to be displayed at Farnborough before the Vulcan was built all had vertical fins by the way.

As a qualified flying instructor I used to lecture students on aerodynamics, if you would like to know more please ask me.

Les

Quick Reply: Vulcan XH558 not going to fly :(