Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

which mobile. genuine request for help...

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2006, 11:50 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which mobile. genuine request for help...

The reviews on the net are next to useless and don't really address my requirements in a cell phone which are actually pretty basic.

at least 2 days of battery
super clear hi res screen (like the sharp gx30/nokia 6230i)
fits in a jeans pocket (so no nokia communicators!)
is there the concept of a macro mode camera? It's a pretty cool option to take a pic of a magazine ad without having the need to buy the mag
calendar with reminders
alarm clock when the phone is off.
fast responding menus
robust easy to use joystick unlike the sony ericsson V600/K700 sh!te

i bet every phone out there is owned by at least one of you all, so, for making a call and sending a text, which phone impresses you on a day to day basis.

yes, i'm due an upgrade
Old 07 August 2006, 11:53 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

and i'm not a clutz. i don't drop phones, so it doesn't have to survive a drop kick from johnny wilkinson.

would be nice if it was trouser fluff resistant. my 6230i always has loads of dust inside the screen!!
Old 07 August 2006, 12:10 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

have just moved from my 6230 to the N80...

Pretty impressive- once you ignore the factory settings, and configure it to how you want it.

The only issue I have noticed (and ive only had it since friday) is the battery doesnt last as long as the 6230, but then it is a smaller capacity, and all the rest of the features eat up the power i suppose.

It WILL last at least 2 days though, so fulfills your requirement. Perhaps I am only noticing it because the 6230 would last for ages, and had a very good battery life in comparison to others I have been messing about with the wi fi and net access tho, which eats the power. If you turned off the 3g mode, and didnt use the net much it would last a lot longer i suspect.

Covers every other one of your criteria- including the macro camera (3megapixel with macro focus mode).
The wi-fi on board works well too- pages were loading on it faster than my desktop pc when i ran a test last night at home!

in depth review of it here if you fancy a read!
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n80-review-84.php

ignore the comment about dimensions- it weighs a lot less than a 6230, and is very slightly wider and actually shorter when the slider is closed.

Last edited by Freak; 07 August 2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07 August 2006, 01:43 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

what about a nokia N73?

anyone got one of these?
Old 07 August 2006, 01:48 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I have an SE W800 and love it, so easy to use, robust and does all the things you want.

I don't have a problem with the joystick, so its all down to whether you do or not, I don't have the smallest fingers either.
Old 07 August 2006, 02:04 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

K800i

Best phone about at the mo.

The new Sony Ericsson K800i mobile phone is a fantastic Cyber-shot™ digital camera and feature-packed 3G handset all rolled into one.
Wherever you go with your K800i, you’ll have an amazing 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus, built-in xenon flash and image and video stabilizer function ready for any moment.

With the K800i, it’s almost impossible to take a bad picture. The built-in xenon flash unit gives you real photographic light where lighting conditions are not optimal. It also eliminates red eye and the stabilizer function compensates for any small movement of your hand when you’re taking a picture and shooting video.

The camera includes BestPic, a unique feature that lets you capture several images in quick succession with one press of the camera key. Simply pick out the best and delete the rest.

Share your pictures with friends and family straight away using Bluetooth, or multimedia messaging, or you can blog it - take a photo add text and send it to your blog site. The site is created the first time you blog a photo and in return get a text message with the web address and log in data.

Printing directly from your K800i couldn't be easier. There’s no need for a computer or photo-editing software. Just connect the phone to a PictBridge compatible printer, choose a picture and then print.

The K800i has a fully fledged digital music player, so you can hear your favourite music tracks wherever you go; and even features built in 3G technology which takes mobile web browsing, photo blogging, multimedia downloading and video calling to new levels.

* A front-facing camera means that you can conduct video calls

* Fantastic photos can be taken with a 3.2 megapixel camera with auto focus and built-in Xenon flash

* Get the picture you want. BestPic™ takes 4; you pick the best!

* Get real photographic light whatever the conditions with xenon flash

* Eliminate blurry images thanks to the camera stabiliser function

* Share your photos instantly using Bluetooth™

* Or blog it! Take a photo, add text and send it to your blog site.

* Connect to a Pictbridge-compliant printer for easy print of your photos

* Multi-tasking is easy – Be on a call and search the web simultaneously

Old 07 August 2006, 02:06 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I think the SE K800i is the phone to beat these days.

Trending Topics

Old 07 August 2006, 03:05 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Sony P990 is due out on 14 August. has the 3MP camera as well as a better OS (Symbian IIRC). i have pre ordered as a replacement to my P910
Old 07 August 2006, 03:10 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Sony P990 is due out on 14 August. has the 3MP camera as well as a better OS (Symbian IIRC). i have pre ordered as a replacement to my P910
2Mp camera and it's far in excess of what the poster wants or needs based on their list of requirements. it would be too big for most average users.
Old 07 August 2006, 03:48 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the K800i Superb phone, get a 1GB Card and your all set for MP3's and as many high res pictures you'll ever need to store
Old 07 August 2006, 03:51 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Who are you with to pre-order it? I keep getting ................ not out yet.