Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Environmental Audit Commission

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2006, 11:23 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Environmental Audit Commission

The Environmental Audit commission, an all party commission, have reported on the road tax they wish to impose to "reduce carbon emissions." As I'm sure you can imagine it doesn't get any less expensive for the motorist with their proposed levels putting a family car in the £1200 - £1500 bracket and a Range Rover and similar vehicles will cost £1800 per year to tax.

As I have been pointing out for some years now the government have a committment to remove socially divisive private transport from the roads and this pricing the people who need it the most off the roads is, as some are aware, one of the key tactics in use.

The other tactic is to make motoring an unpleasant experience so that the citizens no longer derive any pleasure from it. The Environmental Audit Commission also took a step in this direction by calling for a reduction in speed limits. The green nutters have asked for a 40mph blanket speed limit and while you sit back on your hands muttering about it never happening they look like they are going to get it.
Old 07 August 2006, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As ever the proposed plan is a way to really make money out of the motorist, who is seemingly doing so much aready to financially support the Government to **** our taxes against the wall and not improve the road system which is what the road fund tax was intended for in the first place.

I don't mind seeing the people with enormous 4x4's being charged more for the amount of road that they take up. I think that is an extremely selfish way of motoring and taking up space in the towns and villages. I certainly don't agree with that sort of charge for a normal family car however. Way out of sight in my opinion.

Les
Old 07 August 2006, 02:02 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

"Roads minister Dr Stephen Layman has ruled out the draconian suggestions of a committee of MPs"

not wanting to get in the way of mulder and scully esque levels of paranoia