Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

British Software Alliance...

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 12:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Last year, after bombardment, we sent back an audit of our premises - we got a certificate ( )

This year, we didn't either receive a request or chose to ignore it as have been busy. If they did send us something, then they weren't as persistant as last year.

We've just received a letter from solicitors acting on their behalf asking that we do an audit, because they have reason to believe that we are using unlicenced s'ware namely Microsoft stuff - unspecified

As far as I am aware we are fully legit, I have enough MS licences to sink a small boat, but this begs a question or two...

1) Has anyone had a simillar letter from a solicitor on behalf the BSA? Solictor letters cost money.

2) Does this sound like a malicious action by an (ex)employee?

3) Anybody offer any knowledge or simillar?

I currently work for a small business and if it is going to be an annual event that we have to audit ourselves to the satisfaction of the BSA then I'm going to be mighty agrieved. Don't even have enough staff to do some of the more essential things, let alone filling in forms for quasi-legal organisations at their behest.

However, if it is a vindictive attack on us, then I want to know as well. There is a saying of no smoke without fire, but I'm pretty sure we're fully licenced, so it might appear to be malicious.
Old 14 August 2002, 01:04 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would imagine the BSA would go for a bigger fish, unless someone is pointing the fishy smell to your company?
Old 14 August 2002, 01:11 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BSA come over as if they have some form of statutory powers regarding software and make like they are the Customs & Excise or another Goverment department. They're not......they are a commercial organisation and have no more rights than any other company. I had a long spell as a Technical Services Manager and the BSA acted like they where the KGB .....

I would suggest you send a letter back to them saying that all your software is licensed (assuming it is) and that they can whistle for they're audit.......

They need a court order to enter or search your offices.....

Jeff
Old 14 August 2002, 01:29 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I realise whom they are but I'm just wondering why they are getting heavy handed all of a sudden...
Old 14 August 2002, 01:30 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell them to go away.

But make sure you do have enough licenses to cover your company anyway. You know it makes sense.

Cheers

Ian