slimming pill's 'do they work'

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2006, 10:23 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question slimming pill's 'do they work'

Does anyone have any experience of using this type of weight loss programme

if yes - which would you recommend......

if no - which to steer clear of....
Old 06 August 2006, 10:31 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i would be carefull of such a thing as it sounds like it will be on the lines of salt tablets which make you loose water therefore weight but give you a risk of high blood pressure
Old 06 August 2006, 10:33 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i had some killer "cut and burn" tablets for body building which allegedly raise your metabolism, they made me very edgy and a little bit crazy so i stopped them

could never sleep at night either, they mess with your nervous system or something
Old 06 August 2006, 10:34 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

I never understand these 'miracle' tablets that make you lose weight.. Do they really work !!!!

What ever happened to good old exercise and just eating sensible foods
Old 06 August 2006, 10:37 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

In short no, they don't work. If you are morbidly obese there are some drugs that the doc can give you to assist by suppressing appetite and such.
Old 06 August 2006, 10:38 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I have to say, I agree with you Mogsi.....

The question is for the wife, I lost a considerable amount of weight by just eating different stuff. I was gob samacked at what you can eat & still loose weight quite quickly....

I don't mean by eating rabbit food either...
Old 06 August 2006, 10:46 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i read somewhere (maybe on this board?) that there is a drug that doctors can prescribe now, which makes you "shat the fat" from the food you eat

tales of massive sessions on the toilet were a pleasant side effect
Old 06 August 2006, 10:53 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

i've been told that green tea is a good diet aid along with grapefruit pills...

as these are both natural products i wouldn't think the side effects are too bad...
Old 06 August 2006, 12:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Miss Kinky
i've been told that green tea is a good diet aid along with grapefruit pills...

as these are both natural products i wouldn't think the side effects are too bad...
I wonder who told you that?

I've started on Green Tea extract tablets (Holland & Barrett) as GTea is supposed to be a really good antioxident, help with free radicals etc. I can't stand the taste of liquid green tea, so this is the ideal way for me to get this.

I have heard about Grapefruit tablets, purchased some, then lost them Went to buy some more and they are out of stock - apparently very, very popular so must do something right

They are supposed to be very good at cleaning the system and helping to supress your appetite..

Also psyllium husk tablets ( recommended by Gillian Mckeith). Look like horse tablets, and sounds bladdy scary when you read the packet (if you don't swallow them with enough water they can become lodged in your throat, and swell causing you to choke

'Adequate fibre in the diet is considered vital for digestive regularity and good health. A well balanced diet with the correct levels of fibre will stimulate proper elimination. This is necessary for the digestive system to work effectively and ensure that the body can absorb all the nutrients it needs from foods. A ‘clogged’ system can accumulate toxins, which can prevent the digestive system from functioning properly. Fibre helps to improve the transit time of waste products through the system, which in turn can help overall digestive health. '
Old 06 August 2006, 12:54 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Why take pills? Eat decent food! It tastes nice, too.
Old 06 August 2006, 12:57 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Why take pills? Eat decent food! It tastes nice, too.
I'm a picky eater, and crap at dieting. I admit I don't get the vitamins, fibre and minerals I should be getting. Thought I'd give these a whirl.... I might just be chucking my money down t'drain - or should i say toilet? but we'll see
Old 06 August 2006, 03:39 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cut down/out carbs, simple as that. When you eat the two main energy sources (carbs and fat/protein) together in an ordinary diet, your body will always process the carbs first using insulin to transport it around the body for use as energy. When the carbs have diminished, the body will then begin processing the fats and proteins utilising keitones to the same effect as insulin. Here starts the problem, as your brain will misinterpret the reduction in insulin as starvation and release hunger hormones, making you want to eat again. If you do, and everybody does, then the processing of fats/protein will be suspended as soon as more carbs arrive and will ultimately be stored as bodyfat.

By reducing carb input to a minimal level you will flatten out the peaks and troughs in the bodies insulin production to a level where the brain doesn't see the slight drop in insulin as starvation and thus allows the continued processing of the fats and proteins. The big bonus comes when the fats from the last meal are used, the body will then continue processing whatever it can until another meal ups the carb level, and so your stored bodyfat will begin being used.

Cut out potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, sugar, wheat and root veg, in favour of broccolli, cauliflour, asparagus, peppers, tomatos, mushrooms etc. Avoid anything with "reduced fat" as it will be full of starch and carb. Enjoy meat and fish along with your veg, and make sauces from tomato or full cream bases. Switch to decaf tea and coffee and try to get used to soya milk to reduce lactose. Drink lots of water.

If in doubt, buy and read the Atkins book. Apply the diet when you understand the principles and be amazed at how much and how quickly the weight comes of, and if you stick to it for the rest of your life you will be in control of your weight for good. I lost 5 stone in 5 months and have been in full control of my weight ever since, and for the first time in my life.

There will be many who come along and dismiss it, usually spouting about how it's unhealthy to eat so much meat. I don't eat any more meat than I ever did (except maybe the cooked breakfasts) even whilst on the previous failed low-fat diets, but I do eat significantly more veg (around 80% of my weekly shop). During my main weight-loss phase I did no exercise whatsoever, but since I have embraced walking, mountain-biking and many other sports that would have been difficult when I was 21st.
Old 06 August 2006, 04:19 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep there are no tablets that are effective, well apart from ephedrine which isnt strictly legal and funnily enough most tablets claim to be 'ephedrine free' I guess because of the side effects but its the most effective substance at raising your metabolism.

I would agree with CB about the atkins its the only thing I have found effective at shedding weight, I like my meat but I get bored of atkins after a couple of weeks because I *love* bread, pasta and crisps!

Gary
Old 06 August 2006, 04:27 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Once you've shed the bulk of the excess weight there's nothing stopping you reintroducing some carbs, just don't go back to how you were as it will defeat the whole point. Don't think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change. Keep it up and you won't find yourself in the same situation in another years time.
Old 06 August 2006, 06:40 PM
clare792000
Scooby Regular

Have never tried any pills, but last year lost 2 1/2 stone on Slimming World. It was good as you could eat as much of things as you liked, so never went hungry, and theres none/ very very little weighing or measuring. I lived on pasta, potataoes, fruit, quorn foods (as im veggie anyway) and was still alowed a treat each day! It worked really well, so mybe worth a look?
Old 06 August 2006, 08:03 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

dodo chesteze pro plus and aspirin springs to mind

eca stack (Epedrine, Caffeine, Aspirin)

do some reasarch but i by no way am advising the use of this or premoting it if you know what i mean

but ive done it myself was wired for a couple weeks tho lol almost like speed, soon got used to it

Last edited by stringvest; 06 August 2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06 August 2006, 08:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pnbond007
Does anyone have any experience of using this type of weight loss programme

if yes - which would you recommend......

if no - which to steer clear of....
Amphetemine tablets work; youre better off cutting down on the pies though!
Old 06 August 2006, 09:07 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

i tried some of this stuff. Didn't stick to it religiously so it didn't work for me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/2947810.stm
Old 06 August 2006, 09:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I usually drink a pint of water before meals. It fills you up so you don't eat as much. Better than any pills methinks
Oh and what corradoboy said is sound advice
Old 06 August 2006, 09:30 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Go get some Xenical off ya doc and some stack 2's from your local "health" shop..
5 tabs a day... sorted!!
Old 07 August 2006, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Only person I ever knew who used those died at a young age of a heart attack!

Best to just stop eating so much, it works very well.

Les
Old 07 August 2006, 12:04 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

best way to lose weight is to cardio training for 30-60 mins 4 times a week and adjust the level at which you train at every time to stop your body from getting use to the levels and a good diet which you take in around 2000 calories aday for males and 1500 for a females.diet pill only work if you are looking to lose 2-4 percentage of body fat.
Old 07 August 2006, 12:27 PM
MPC-GTR
Scooby Regular

There are 3 medications now available for weight loss assistance on the NHS.

1) Orlistat (xenical) - this is a pancreatic lipase inhibitor and will reduced the maount of fat absorbed from a meal, however unabsorbed fat manifests itself as greasy stools and diarrhoea, so you need to be on a low fat diet anyway. Can be prescribed for up to 2 years. Must have BMI over 30 or BMI over 27.5 and concurrent medical problem e.g. diabetes, Ischaemic heart disease etc

2) Sibutramine (reductil) - centrally acting on serotonin neurotransmitter pathway. Originally developed as an antidepressant, appears to supress the appetite in some. Side effects of raised blood pressure, rapid resting pulse, and nightmares limit use. Weight loss over one year of use only likely to be in range of 8kg!!

3) Rimonabant (acomplia) - this has just recently come onto the market in the UK in the past month. This works as an antagonist on cannabinoid receptors in the brain and this is said to also suppress the appetite. This probably has the most modest effect of all on weight loss and is also the most expensive (over £600 for a year). Only really recommended if other measures have failed in a patient with significant comorbidity. Can only be prescibed for a period of up to 12 months.

So do they work? possibly, but effects are far more modest than patients would hope and generally I would encourage lifestyle change rather than think these 3 medications are every likely to change your life.
Old 07 August 2006, 12:44 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Don't go down the pills route - stick to a healthy eating plan and up the exrecise. It doesn't have to be hours in the gym - just try and build 30 mins walking each day into your schedule.

Eating healthily really isn't that tough and it's a helluva lot better for you than diet pills and potions.

The only thing I've ever taken is Sea Kelp as it does seem to raise the metabolism a little - but tbh - it didn't really make that much difference.

Personally I find the low GI diet works fine. It may just be healthy eating repackaged, but what's so bad about that?
Old 07 August 2006, 03:25 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

eat less cake and walk more.
easy
Old 07 August 2006, 06:30 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I Had Xenical for 9 months and used it in conjuction with Stax..Also ate 2 toast in the morning,2 salad sandwiches at lunch and a baked spud with tuna,every day for 9 months..

Results....Went from 21st ish to 14 ish in 9 months...The amount of weight that fell off was astounding..And the amount of sex i got was too!!!

Dropping that amount in such a short time did have its side effects..Mostly to do with the Xenical..Ie...plenty of jaffa coloured lumps in ya pan,and when ya gotta go,ya gotta go..But at the time it was worth it.

Hard thing is keeping it off..Stella and Hollands pies often give me the curly finger,how can i not succumb to there charms!!
Old 07 August 2006, 09:45 PM
IWANASCOOBY1
Scooby Regular

A low carb or no carb and high protein diet is the way to go mate. A nutritionally balanced diet, light cardio vascular workout and plenty of water everyday and you should see your wieght come off! Relying on amazing fat burning tablets isn;t the way to go, however they will certainly help if you have your diet in control.

It's about hardwork and dedication, resisting eating crap when other people around you are. That's not to say that every now and again you cannot have a cheat meal but I would say make sure it's a meal only and not a cheat day. Eat a clean diet monday to Sunday but if you want to have a full sunday dinner do but make sure your diet begins again on the Monday.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's alot to do with a persons metabolism to. I'm unlucky. I need to lose 2 stone, I bought myself a decent treadmill, which I've been doing 4.5k's on every night for 2 weeks so far. Ok not long but I would expect to lose more then 1 sodding pound to date And my diet is spot on, I don't drink, snack or eat crap either.
Old 08 August 2006, 02:20 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Jasper Carrot is a comedian not a dietition and looks as though he never had a weight problem in his life. If you believe the statistics obesity is becoming a real problem so it obviously isn`t that simple to lose weight. The attraction of a quick fix is a powerful one and in my personal experience slimming pills only work while you take them. I lapsed back into old habits once my appetite returned and regained the weight plus some more. So i`m back on the bike and salads again

Quick Reply: slimming pill's 'do they work'