Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Golfing tips for a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2006, 10:59 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Golfing tips for a newbie!

Time for a new hobby Now I've got a car with a half decent boot (Scoob went a while ago! ), I feel the need to put some golfclubs in the back

I haven't played before, and will be popping down to the local driving range before I even set foot onto a golf course!

I'm realistic enough to know that the first port of call will be some lessons from a Pro.

However, I'm looking at clubs. Nothing expensive (yet ) What do people recommend?

I was looking at a half set to start off with, but graphite, steel, etc? It's a total minefield. I'm presuming that the Pro well be able to assist with that......

Any other tips/advice from all you seasoned golfers out there?

Dan
Old 02 August 2006, 11:47 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Hippo .... cant mind the full name but you can get a full set plus bag on ebay for £150
Old 02 August 2006, 11:54 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

sports world near me doing a full dunlop graphite and titanium set for £72
and there pretty dam good well i think so
Old 03 August 2006, 07:10 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Get down the pro shop for advice.
I hacked around for 10 years using clubs "off the shelf", but went for a couple of lessons and the bloke mentioned the clubs were not right for me so got some custom ones made up and they were only a few quid more than a mid range standard set. Immediate transformation, my mates couldn't believe it. The lessons helped but even there when the new clubs arrived, what a difference.

You'll get all sort of tips from everybody once you start but I really wish I'd started with lessons as my enjoyment of the game went up by a huge amount with a couple of pointers from the pro. And he spotted the problems with the clubs within a couple of shots.
(I got clubs that were longer, more upright, stiffer shafts and with thicker grips)
Old 03 August 2006, 07:27 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

To start out, you wont need a full set. You could in theory just take some lessons owning just a 8 & 5 irons and a putter.

Good to hear that you are starting with lessons, believe me there is nothing more frustrating than thinking you know what you are doing - have a lesson 3 years down the line when you see no improvement - to find that you have been swinging like a monkey on ecstacy.

Get a few clubs together, either ebay or off a friend that plays, take some lessons - see how much you enjoy it before you go off spending £££ on a decent set.

One thing to remember, golf is the most frustrating game in the world...

Enjoy !
Old 03 August 2006, 07:29 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

pro used to tell me off all the time for dropping my shoulder lol
Old 03 August 2006, 09:17 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Keep your head still, eye on tha ball, slow back swing and follow through. That's basically it.

As for clubs, the type you use doesn't really matter, the recommendations above are fine, just make sure sure that they are the correct length, i.e. get measured for a set. It makes a huge difference.