Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO Road bike riders, clipless pedal setup

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2006, 12:12 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Road bike riders, clipless pedal setup

A long shot maybe, but I am struggling to get the cleats set-up specifically for climbing out of the saddle (using Look style pedals). On the flat I am fine but on a steep hill, my feet are sliding inwards twds the crank and its sending pain through my knees.

I have read several articals about pronation etc and wonder if anyone on here has had the same problem/ had a Cyclefit session??

I set the cleats up over the ball of my foot, slightly back from the second met'- head position, in-line with the vertical shoe marker.
Old 01 August 2006, 12:25 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

I had the exact same problem about 5 years ago and I eventually cracked it. I basically set the bike up on the turbo trainer and adjusted the cleats till they were on the ball of my foot and pointed out slightly, I also bought Look pedals with the Arc movement on the back, which seemed to relieve extra pressure. I also realised that I had to point my knees inwards to avoid the pain. I would say have a go at doing it yourself, I think I have a book somewhere that says which way your shoes should point according to the knee pain somewhere, I will try and find it.
Old 01 August 2006, 12:39 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
I had the exact same problem about 5 years ago and I eventually cracked it. I basically set the bike up on the turbo trainer and adjusted the cleats till they were on the ball of my foot and pointed out slightly, I also bought Look pedals with the Arc movement on the back, which seemed to relieve extra pressure. I also realised that I had to point my knees inwards to avoid the pain. I would say have a go at doing it yourself, I think I have a book somewhere that says which way your shoes should point according to the knee pain somewhere, I will try and find it.
Cheers, from the look of my normal foot wear and doing a simple jump test, my feet appear to splay out slightly, so i will have a go at toe-ing the cleats out a couple of degree's and seeing if that helps.
Old 01 August 2006, 01:57 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Get some new feet, HtH
Old 01 August 2006, 01:59 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your using Red cleats might be worth switching over to Grey/Black and getting rid ofthe bit of movement your talking about.