Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Garmin satnav owners on here ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2006, 06:56 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Garmin satnav owners on here ?

Can you confirm which car satnav units offer POSTCODE search ?

eg. can I just type in a house number and postcode and it'll find my destination ?

I know some TomTom's do this, but I want a Garmin that I know does it.
Old 30 July 2006, 09:51 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

The i3 does and that's the cheapo base model so I'd guess they all do.
Old 30 July 2006, 09:53 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

my streetpilot c320 doesn't
Old 30 July 2006, 10:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C310 does.
Old 30 July 2006, 10:57 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
my streetpilot c320 doesn't

sorry i lie it does
Old 30 July 2006, 11:07 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

The boggo basic cheapo one that Halfords did a special offer on does.
Old 30 July 2006, 11:24 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

cheers lads

looks like after looking at TomToms and Mio's I'm going for a Garmin c510 for which I can obtain the maps I need. Its a later model to the c3xx series so I'm hoping it does postcode search.

any special offers on anywhere to buy one ?
Old 31 July 2006, 09:14 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The Garmin Quest doesn't. The Garmin Nuvi does. I would think the C5** series would because they're similar generation to the Nuvi.

Sadly the website isn't too helpful for this as it's Mercan and they only reluctantly admit Europe exists, let alone listing spec items which are useful (vital?) in UK.

I tried a Nuvi at a Garmin stand at the racing car show. Very impressive, I'll be upgrading from my Quest shortly. But the opportunity to stand and try one are few and far between. Loads of web based sellers but who has a decent range of Garmins in a shop to stand and hold and try out?
Old 31 July 2006, 10:09 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

If you are in London or able to get to London you can usually try them all at the shops in Tottenham Court Road and then buy online. (Although a number of these shops also masquerade online under different names)

I've spent hours trying them and still can't decide. Every brand has it's pros and cons.
Old 31 July 2006, 10:46 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

My Garmin i3 does. Its superb Best gadget I've bought in ages, even the other half can use it no problem. Easy to use just roll the scroll wheel and click, better than sticky fingers on touch-screens with over complicated menus.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:26 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

My Garmin Nuvi 350 has Postcode entry.

I tested a TomTom700 for a week whilst i travelled to and around Scotland and I was very impressed, took me from my door in Essex to the Hotel near Loch Lomond with no problems at all, also helped me find a Shell garage when i needed it.

The TomTom is louder due to its larger speaker (partly the reason for the size I think) and the visual maps are slightly clearer at first, but you soon get used to the Garmin and in fact I found it slightly more accurate in some places. Haven't used the Garmin on such a long journey yet but I am going to Germany next week so it will get a real test then. Haven't had any problems with local journies so far.

I think the Garmin is a superb unit. I almost bought a TomTom 910, which is also very good, but I found it just a bit too bulky for my needs. The Garmin Nuvi 350 is about the same size as a pack of cards and has so many more functions, especially handy if you are travelling abroad with it.

Click HERE for Garmin Nuvi 350 spec and pics.

Last edited by SirFozzalot; 31 July 2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:34 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
My Garmin i3 does. Its superb Best gadget I've bought in ages, even the other half can use it no problem. Easy to use just roll the scroll wheel and click, better than sticky fingers on touch-screens with over complicated menus.
I agree, the garmin i3 is the nuts and has postcode and house number search.

dipster
Old 31 July 2006, 01:49 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with Dunks and Dipster.

No problems with my i3. Its small enough to be lfeft in the car out of site but large and clever enought to read the screen and hear the commands. I use the postcode all the time and it got me to Silverstone through the backroads no problem (no queues).

I've updated mine with Speed camera sites and other point of interest and now I can even use it to find the nearest Shell or Tesco garage wherever I am.

I think they are only £99 in Comet now too. Im thinking of getting one for our other car.
Old 31 July 2006, 02:18 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
I agree, the garmin i3 is the nuts and has postcode and house number search.

dipster
Another vote for the Garmin i3

I paid £130.00 for mine at Comet several weeks ago; they're now doing it for £99.99
Old 31 July 2006, 05:36 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

So whats the main difference between the Garmin Nuvi (which is a more compact flatter screen) and the rest (which are bulkier) ?

Are you just paying for the convenience of putting it in your pocket ?

I don't need any mp3 or picture viewer bollox, just satnav

Streetpilot:

Nuvi:
Old 31 July 2006, 05:41 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

If you look at the Nuvi 360, the equivalent bulky one has identical features for a similar price but it also includes TMC, whereas on the Nuvi you need to spend £100+ to add it on after.

Also I can't confirm this but I think the 5xx series have automotive grade, sunlight readable screens.
Old 31 July 2006, 05:44 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Anyone have any tricks to keep their i3 (or anything) stuck to the windscreen? Mine falls off fairly regularly.
Old 31 July 2006, 05:46 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
If you look at the Nuvi 360, the equivalent bulky one has identical features for a similar price but it also includes TMC, whereas on the Nuvi you need to spend £100+ to add it on after.

Also I can't confirm this but I think the 5xx series have automotive grade, sunlight readable screens.
yes, I can confirm that last bit - the c5xx series uses their latest screen which is brighter and has an anti-glare filter.
Old 31 July 2006, 07:15 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

There was a thread about this on a GPS forum here.

Apparently early Nuvi's had screens which were **** hot, very bright, sunlight readable etc etc. Then when the next generation C5**'s came out they fitted the best screens to them and because the good screens were in limited supply they had to fit a lesser screen to the Nuvi's. Apparently the good screens are shiny and the lesser screens are matt.

The concerning thing is that the Nuvi's that were reviewed by all the magazines etc were fitted with the better screens but not the ones you can buy now so a bit misleading.

Not sure if this is a genuine story, if the matt screen is really that much worse, if this is a permanent thing or just a temporary glitch. No personal knowledge but a concerned customer because I'm planning to buy a Nuvi shortly.
Old 31 July 2006, 07:25 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Anyone have any tricks to keep their i3 (or anything) stuck to the windscreen? Mine falls off fairly regularly.
Make sure the glass and sucker are very clean.
And push the thing hard on the screen before lowering the lever.
Old 31 July 2006, 10:11 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Run a bit of moist water (spit) round it and ensure that you have an unbroken water line when you compress the sucker. Push with your thumb if not.

When the water evaporates it will create a strong seal.

But, it all depends on how often you remove it.
Old 01 August 2006, 10:05 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
There was a thread about this on a GPS forum here.

Apparently early Nuvi's had screens which were **** hot, very bright, sunlight readable etc etc. Then when the next generation C5**'s came out they fitted the best screens to them and because the good screens were in limited supply they had to fit a lesser screen to the Nuvi's. Apparently the good screens are shiny and the lesser screens are matt.

The concerning thing is that the Nuvi's that were reviewed by all the magazines etc were fitted with the better screens but not the ones you can buy now so a bit misleading.

Not sure if this is a genuine story, if the matt screen is really that much worse, if this is a permanent thing or just a temporary glitch. No personal knowledge but a concerned customer because I'm planning to buy a Nuvi shortly.
No problem viewing my Nuvi 350 screen in bright sunlight.

In fact that reminds me of another small niggle with the Garmin. The top of the unit is the silver colour and gives a lot of reflection on the windscreen of the top of the unit in bright sunlight compared to the top of the TomTom which is black. Something I have got used to though.
Old 01 August 2006, 10:32 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Stick some black tape to the top ....?
Yeah I thought of that, but I didn't want it looking nasty with black tape all over it, and the power button is on the top plus the antenna type thing rotates from the storage position.

I tried a piece of thin black card, cut to the exact shape held on with a bit of bluetac which worked well, might try it with a thin piece of plastic for a longer life. Shouldn't have to do it on a unit of this price though, bit of bad design by Garmin I think.

Like I said before though, I have got used to it and don't notice it as much anymore anyway.

Other than that it is a great little unit.
Old 01 August 2006, 10:44 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Another i3 vote.Easy postcode search.

Can't understand some of the more fancy ones.Especially ones offered with a remote control.What's the point of that?
Old 01 August 2006, 11:22 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Especially ones offered with a remote control.What's the point of that?

Sat low and far back with a raked screen perhaps, ferrari style? But then you wouldn't be able to read the screen. Long sighted person who needs it far away, but shouldn't be driving then I guess! You're right completely pointless.

> And hwo well does it lock onto the PS signal?

PS? Reception isn't generally a problem stuck to the windscreen of most cars. Allegedly cars with heated front screens struggle, most Fords included in that I believe, because the thin wires in the windscreen shield the signals. Also modern Renaults with the blue sheen to the screen struggle, the blue sheen is a metal coating that screens the signal, found that in a Clio hire car last summer. If you drive one of these then you may find you need a remote antenna on the parcel shelf looking thro the rear screen.
Old 01 August 2006, 01:00 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Stick some black tape to the top ....?

Just a thought ....

Interesting thread this - been meaning to get a satnav for a while - mainly for the wife who hasn't a clue about maps or spatial location .... But didn't want to spend a fortune. If an i3 is 100 squids or less then it would seem to be the one to go for ..

But how do you get new/updated maps? Is it a case of buying a new SD card with it on?

Dave
Hutton, maps are dead easy to come by on t'internet, which you download and copy to your SD Card. Garmin's use NAVTEQ maps which are more accurate than TomTom's allegedly.
Old 01 August 2006, 01:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Hutton, maps are dead easy to come by on t'internet, which you download and copy to your SD Card. Garmin's use NAVTEQ maps which are more accurate than TomTom's allegedly.
It's a mix for who is the best.

US=NAVTEQ by a long way.
UK=NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas - seems to be mixed reports.
Europe=Teleatlas by a long way.
Old 01 August 2006, 01:18 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Another i3 vote.Easy postcode search.

Can't understand some of the more fancy ones.Especially ones offered with a remote control.What's the point of that?
Got a garmin 2620 with remote and it's really useful. Has a little joystick so makes it really easy and a lot faster to use the unit. Plus if you put it in the centre of the dashboard it can be hard to reach.
Old 01 August 2006, 02:19 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Got a garmin 2620 with remote and it's really useful. Has a little joystick so makes it really easy and a lot faster to use the unit. Plus if you put it in the centre of the dashboard it can be hard to reach.
Not being funny but is it not fiddly/distract you from driving .

I know my Garmin is set so you can't interfere with it on the move (I know I can disable that if I want)

Quick Reply: Any Garmin satnav owners on here ?