No reminder for SORN

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2006, 06:25 PM
Paul .G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No reminder for SORN

Hey up,

Got an old Nova in the garage its been there for 5 years off the road.
This year the reminder must have got lost in the post so forgot to renew the SORN. So they are trying to fine me!
Posted them some photos to prove that the car is and has been off the road but they are not bothered and still say I need to pay up before August or the fine goes up.
Not chuffed

Any one been in the same position? any advice to make them see sense?

PG
Old 21 July 2006, 07:15 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Exacty the same with a Caterham which was a race car and not road registered. Got a reminder the tax was due every year since it was new. The first year there was a fine for declaring SORN late guess what, the reminder "got lost".

Wrote them about 10 letters. Couple of highlights:

They said all forms for SORN say it only lasts 12 months, I sent them a copy of the on line form I'd used 14 months before with NO reminder about 12 months. The reply was to thank me for pointing out that the on line form was out of date..... but I still owed them.

I asked for a copy of the reminder which they swore they sent but I hadn't received. They said "records show it was posted". So I still owed them.

I pointed out that SORN was introduced to reduce the number of untaxed vehicles on the road but like the CSA the government agency were targetting legit people who make genuine mistakes as it was easier than pursuing the intended targets. No comment.

I paid the low fine "under protest" to avoid the higher fine kicking in but asked for a refund when they accepted they had made a mistake. I genuinely expected I could convince them of this. Asked for an ombudsman or whatever to appeal to but was told there wasn't one. Got completely p****d off with it in the end and gave up.

Now I make sure I send in the SORN renewal forms in plenty of time. They don't half get annoyed with the fifth or sixth SORN renewal form they get in a month.
Old 21 July 2006, 08:36 PM
Paul .G
Scooby Regular

Right thanks for that, will also have to come up with some "over" efficient method of ensuring the SORN is regestered

Thanks
Paul