Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cornwall Holiday

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2006, 09:50 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cornwall Holiday

After a bit of help from you all with regard to my trip to Cornwall next week for a week's holiday. Taking my missus and my six year old son.

I am renting a cottage in Mevagissey, and just need a bit of help on good destinations and things to do.

Have already decided to visit the Eden Project, Tintagel, Padstow, but would appreciate any comments on :-

1) Newquay - Is it worth a visit or is it now a chav hell hole?
2) Padstow - What is the best Rick Stein destination for lunch? Is Rick Stein's Bistro any good? Do you need to book?
3) Any other places that are well worth a visit?

Cheers
Old 20 July 2006, 09:55 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

From memory there's also Goonhilly Earth Station, the seal sanctuary (think it's at Gweek), St Michael's Mount, St Ives.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:55 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

1. Avoid Newquay in the summer. It's heaving.

2. Padstein is probably not the place to go to eat. It will be overbooked, over priced and over rated.

3. Plenty of other places to go:
Seal Sanctuary at Gweek
Several National Trust properties/gardens in the area
Old 20 July 2006, 09:57 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robert Rosario
After a bit of help from you all with regard to my trip to Cornwall next week for a week's holiday. Taking my missus and my six year old son.

I am renting a cottage in Mevagissey, and just need a bit of help on good destinations and things to do.

Have already decided to visit the Eden Project, Tintagel, Padstow, but would appreciate any comments on :-

1) Newquay - Is it worth a visit or is it now a chav hell hole?
2) Padstow - What is the best Rick Stein destination for lunch? Is Rick Stein's Bistro any good? Do you need to book?
3) Any other places that are well worth a visit?

Cheers
I might be going myself next week!!!!

1. IMO Newquay has changed - it used to be full of surfers and hot chicks - now its full of p***ed up d**kheads spoiling foir a fight - i hated it.

2. Sister has just come back from Padstow - Rick Stein's is fantastic but was booked up two months solid, although he has a cheaper fish and chip restaurant as well - try the Estuary restaurant.

Get yourself to ST Ives - beautiful quaint place - every other shop is an 'Award winning pasty shop' ha ha - whilst your there maybe do a spot of deep sea fishing (about 15 quid) having said that the only thing i caught was a cold. - try try the Sloop Inn for lunch dates back to teh 17th century

Eden project is ok (Nice coffe shop) but certainly not a full day for me only half a day - depends if you are into gardening (and i'm not)

If you are intto high tech stuff go to Goonhilly Earth Station - although your missus and kiddy might not be interested.

I'll think of some more
Old 20 July 2006, 09:58 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

http://www.theestuaryrestaurant.com/
Old 20 July 2006, 10:00 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Instead of Newquay try Watergate Bay. Jamie Oliver has just opened a Fifteen Restaurant there. Lovely little area with a great big beach and you can watch the Extreme Academy teaching surfing / kite boarding and all other things surfer-dude.
Old 20 July 2006, 10:11 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres the eden project (about 7 miles from mevagissey), the lost gardens of heligan(1 mile) st mawes (17 miles) st ives (40 miles). Padstow is nice ,you can hire a couple of bikes and ride down the camel trail,although I would stay clear of rick steins restaurant its a fecking rip off!
For your son I would recommend pentewan beach (just down the road from meva) flambards and holleywell bay.

http://www.flambards.co.uk/html/location.html

http://www.holywellbay.co.uk/
Old 20 July 2006, 10:16 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Also beware of polkirt hill, half the holidaymakers cant reverse for **** and it can get jammed right up in the summer.
Old 20 July 2006, 11:06 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Falmouth and St Ives are nice for a walk and a bit of shopping and beaches - Big Wednesday in Falmouth are good for T Shirts, shorts etc.. http://bigwednesdaysurf.com/index.php
If you fancy a good meal try the Smoke House in Porthleven, excellent food and nice surroundings they also have a childrens menu. http://www.eatoutcornwall.com/cornwa...nt.php?pv=5898

Simon
Old 20 July 2006, 11:48 AM
97Catalunya
Scooby Regular

Hi m8 just had a week in Newquay for the second year, during the night over the weekend newquay is heaving with hen and stag partys but didn't see any trouble. A lot quieter during the day and weekday evenings, lots of good clothes shopping. Their are some nice restraunts their too, I recomend the restraunt in newquay harbour, www.fistral-blu.co.uk is also nice with stunning panaramic views over fistral beach.Rick Stiens restraunt will be booked weeks in advance and cost about £100-£150 for with wine for 2, but he does have a bakers their also and man you have to try one of his pasties yum. Or you have Jamie Olivers restraunt in Watergate Bay www.fifteencornwall.co.uk SIX course meal is £50 per head but I think their are other options.

Eaden project is amazing but be warned regarless of the weather outside wear shorts and t-shirts as man is it hot in their!

I also visited www.thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk if you pay for the tour you will get the cyder tasting at the end so get the Mrs to drive lol

StMicheals Mount is also worth a visit.

But most of all have a good time

Chris, Essex Scooby Crew

Last edited by 97Catalunya; 20 July 2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:25 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the weather is this good, just head down to the beach, kids tend to love the sand. There are plenty to choose from.

If you don't mind the drive I'd go to Land's End (park about a mile away and walk in - it's free rather than pa silly prices to park your car), or better still park in Sennen Cove and walk along the coastal path into Land's End.

There are a few castles - try going to Falmouth and see Pendennis castle.

Drive along the A30 and visit Jamacia Inn, (bit commercial now though)

Maybe one of the country houses - there are a few.

Most of Cornwall's attractions are outside rather than in, so enjoy the weather and have fun.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:50 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Robert, The Chief,

Best make it three of us going then..lol
I'm staying near St Austell for seven or so days next week myself..!!

I'll be in the Scoob with my CARAVAN...lol!!!!

Give us a wave if you see me...!!

My mission is to prove that not all caravans hold up motorists, it only weighs 500kgs and handles very well behind the car. I've had a few try to overtake me up hill who've had 2nd prize when they run out of steam..lol!! Just because it's a caravan people automatically think it's slow and in the way

It goes even better behind my 450 bhp/500+ lbs/ft torque MY59 Chevy pick up..!!

Hope the weather's good for us..!

Nige.

Last edited by v8voodoo; 20 July 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:56 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Padstow harbour is lovely, go on a speedboat trip, think it was about £15 for 15 minutes, good fun.

St Ives is lovely by the sea, you HAVE to buy a pasty there, even if you don't like them.

Eden Project... I went, but expected more, it's a glorified garden centre, nothing more, I don't mind garden centres, but this place bored the sh1te out of me.

If you have young kids, I thoroughly recommend Crealy Adventure Park, think it is near Wadebridge, great fun!

Enjoy, hope the weather is good to you.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:56 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

St austell you staying at trewiddle?
Old 20 July 2006, 12:59 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Robert, The Chief,

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...SC00030shr.jpg

My mission is to prove that not all caravans hold up motorists, it only weighs 500kgs and handles very well behind the car. I've had a few try to overtake me up hill who've had 2nd prize when they run out of steam..lol!! Just because it's a caravan people automatically think it's slow and in the way

Nige.
What the fookin hell is that caravan ha ha - seriosuly what make is it??? thats a little belter

Yep down there me-self. Look out for a silver classic with 'The Chief' on the back windows and 500bhp under the bonnet (Yeah right)
Old 20 July 2006, 01:01 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Robert, The Chief,

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...SC00030shr.jpg

Nige.

So your into Hot Rodding?

You dont know Derek Gibson do you????
Old 20 July 2006, 01:16 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Chief,

It's an MY93 Eriba Puck...! A lot, lot bigger inside than it appears on the outside..!! amazing storage and the pop top brings its height down nicely for great stability at speed. Steel framed as opposed to the crappy Brit wallowy damp wood specials..lol!!

Yep, been into rodding since I were a lad..!! Derek Gibson.... The name certainly rings a bell (don't do names so well!). What does he drive/race..?

KoT,

Nope, not at trewiddle, don't wanna say too much on here as I think someone is following a lot of my posts...
Old 20 July 2006, 01:38 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

[quote=v8voodoo]Chief,

Yep, been into rodding since I were a lad..!! Derek Gibson.... The name certainly rings a bell (don't do names so well!). What does he drive/race..?

quote]

Dereks my stepmums brother - about 45 now - been doing this stuff since he were a kid, he is from Oldham area - does not race but has had some monsters. gives all his hot rods names that go with amazing paintjobs ones i can remember 'Bad To The Bone' 'Saddam Hussain' 'Orange Squash' very well known in Rodding circles - so i thought you might know him. his buddy used to drive a milk float that had a Rover V8 in it and was in Auto Express once
Old 20 July 2006, 02:53 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Chief,

Sounds about right..!! Lots of rods were named, I know of a "lemon squash", but cant place orange..! Saying that when I'm at the rod runs, I am mainly very, very drunk.....! lol!

Anyway, lets stop drifitng off topic here..!!

ANY MORE CORNWALL TOP TIPS ANYONE....?
Old 20 July 2006, 02:56 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your replies guys, sounds like might need to stay for an extra week!!

My son LOVES animals, so the seal sanctuary and monkey sanctuary sounds well worth a spin.

Oliver's Fifteen restaurant is a new one for me too, and may be a better shout than a Rick Stein establishment.

Chief, V8 Voodoo, will keep a look out for you both down there. Hope weather stays good. Have a good time, all of the time!
Old 20 July 2006, 02:59 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Gardens at Helligan
Old 20 July 2006, 03:01 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by CharlesW

2. Padstein is probably not the place to go to eat. It will be overbooked, over priced and over rated.
That made my day

" The people's republic of Padstein "

PMSL

It is everything Charles said but as a quick visit it's worth eating some of Chairman Stein's take away fish and chips while overlooking the quays.
Old 21 July 2006, 03:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Copied from another post of mine a few weeks ago....
Originally Posted by ME
Just come back from a fortnight down there. We camped for 3 nights but were in a hotel the week before and after. If you can head a little further south into North Cornwall then I recommend Dennis Cove on the edge of Padstow. Less than 5 minutes walk into Padstow and on the edge of the Camel Trail overlooking the estuary. Hire bikes and do the trail (34 (easy) miles to the end and back) stopping off for beer and cream teas en-route. A few miles north is Port Isaac (Port Wyn in Doc Martin) where The Slipway serve the best fish'n'chips in the world IMHO. Walk the Coast Path from PI to Port Quinn for the most arduous 3 miles of your life, returning by the easier 2 mile land route. Nearby Boscastle is beautiful, with a superb 4 miler to Tintagel (mythical home of Merlin and birthplace of King Arthur). Summerleaze Beach at Bude is lovely in the evening as the sun is setting, with a good walk to Widemouth bay. Clovelly on the north Devon coast is a step back in time and well worth a visit, but wear comfortable shoes. Again, there is a good walk going west from above the village. Hire some bikes in Barnstaple and follow the Tarka Trail along the estuary to Bideford, and then inland to Torrington. Not as scenic as the Camel, but still good.

Finally, enjoy the roads but be ever wary of the (s)camera vans. There's lots and they're very strict. I thought I'd been done but seem to have got away with it, so keep religiously to any limits in camera signed villages, and on the desolate A30 over Bodmin Moor

HTH, and have a good 'un