Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why is everyone is such a hurry?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2006, 08:07 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is everyone is such a hurry?

Well? Why is everyone in such a hurry all the time? On my drive in this morning I saw 4 cases of silly/ dangerous driving - just to get one car ahead.

In one case I was on the M3 south bound approaching J6, left hand lane, doing 70mph and just approaching the three line warning board for the junction (what's the technical name for those? No idea!) with a steady stream of cars in front of me. Next moment a BMW races up to the back of my car, pauses for a second or so, and then sharply pulls around and wedges itself into the gap in front - causing me & a Peugeot to brake quite sharply. I'm not angry about it (if I got angry at every bit of daft driving I'd have permanently sky high blood pressure!) - but I'm just curious. Why do people do it? Do they really love their jobs that much that they can't wait to get there? Methinks not.....

Why are people always impatient in shops? Why do they barge you off pavements? Why do you get trampled on the tube and shoved out of the way on busses?

I think the world needs a chill pill.....

Old 20 July 2006, 08:25 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i think its called the rat-race...

i never joined in...

That and hes a fat w**ker in a 'posh' ( ) motor
Old 20 July 2006, 08:44 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

I hate being in a rush, you should only be in a rush if you haven't planned properly or its an emergency.

Maybe none of these people can plan their lives (thats why he drives a BMW )

Dan
Old 20 July 2006, 08:45 AM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

i think the term you're looking for is.. countdown markers to the junction?

and he was driving a BMW.... aww come on... that says it all !!!!!!!!!
Old 20 July 2006, 08:56 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

quite agree dbw!

I always think hey chill out, what annoys me the most is people who dart out in front of you at roundabouts and junctions. I think why not just wait till I have passed a few additional seconds and then go, quite ridiculous!

And of course driving a scoob everyone expects you to be going flat out in it, I sometimes potter along because Im not in a hurry and I just like to chill but other drivers dont want to pass they want to push you, very childish!

Gary
Old 20 July 2006, 09:12 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I drove a Mondeo as a company car for a while and although I did still see plenty of silly driving, it's always much worse when I'm out in the WRX.

Had my blood pressure checked the other day and it was 104/66 - nice and healthy - can't imagine what some people's blood pressure is like..... Life is waaaaaay too short - chill out, relax, enjoy it.

Old 20 July 2006, 10:01 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Like the big white van ?! which pulled out in front of me yesterday and tootled along for 100yards then pulled off again......Why couldn't he wait ? I wasn't rushing BTW , he just seemed to be bloody minded.
That's one reason we moved up here to the country. Life is slower.... you have to be when you get caught behind a tractor vitually every day. But there are still headcases who blind along at alarming speeds..... penalty they pay around here is to end upside down in a deep dyke. One bloke wasn't found for 6YEARS !!!! ( Oh , his foot was found a couple of months earlier !)
Yve
Old 20 July 2006, 10:45 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

put your foot down whorewoman...70mph?

as one bloke told me:

if your not doing over 95mph in the fast lane (overtaking 3rd lane to all the pc lot) then stay the fek out

if ppl stuck to the right speeds in each lane you wouldnt get rabid loons performing such manoevres

Lord Shrek....battling the 'Tony Martin used excessive force' brigade.
Old 20 July 2006, 11:51 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat.

A lot of the stress this stuff causes is because people take things personally, which is a expression of selfishness. The guy that carves you up or whatever is a git but what he does is because of him and not you so why be selfish and let it be personal.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:17 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I didn't take it personally at all - why on earth would I? I'm just curious about why the whole world seems to be in such a rush, that's all.

Technically I'm in the rat race because I work full time in an office - but I've always only taken jobs that look fun and interesting and am not particularly interested in moving up the ladder. Does that make me a different breed of rat?

"Be not so busy making a living that you forget to make a life"
Old 20 July 2006, 01:52 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

People dont wanna be stuck behind slow-*** drivers, those that potter in the middle and fast lanes while the inside is empty and wonder why some of us slip past

If you want to mosey about and take ur time dont drag the rest of us into it I dont wanna spend longer than neccessary driving when i could be somewhere better, like bed/pub/etc...
Old 20 July 2006, 04:42 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I think people leave too little time for the drive - thinking that it will only take 5 minutes, when in reality it takes 5 minutes to get started and off the drive.

Have you noticed how polite people are when on foot? Opening doors for strangers, moving out of people’s way. If you walk into someone, then it’s normally them who apologise. Put these people behind the wheel and it’s all different.
Old 20 July 2006, 05:40 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

^^^ this is a good point. very true !
Old 20 July 2006, 06:41 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

get out my way you silly slow driving woman

(just thought i would add my input )
Old 20 July 2006, 07:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

afaik its the people who live/work with in say 10 miles who are the worst offenders
Old 20 July 2006, 07:50 PM
tony95
Scooby Regular

most recent trend oop north seems to be the careful single speed driver
national speed limit=39mph
50 zone = 39 mph
40 zone =39 mph
30 zone = worryingly still 39 mph
try and over take one in a national speed limit youll get a nice flash to let you know its clear to pull back in front
Old 20 July 2006, 09:05 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I dont get why people flash, i mean what do they expect to happen - you to think oh gosh i should of done that id better slow down and apologise...I mean ffs eat exhaust fumes
Old 21 July 2006, 12:10 AM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
I dont get why people flash, i mean what do they expect to happen - you to think oh gosh i should of done that id better slow down and apologise...I mean ffs eat exhaust fumes
haha.. it's like you overtake in the scoob ( or as i do on my bike)... the oncoming car is nowhere near the car you're overtaking... you know you have the power to get past quick enough... but the oncoming car is still 200 yards off you but it's flashing like mad!!!!! why??????
don't you understand... I have the power to overtake a full line of cars before you even get 20 yards off me !!!!
Old 21 July 2006, 08:04 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
People dont wanna be stuck behind slow-*** drivers, those that potter in the middle and fast lanes while the inside is empty and wonder why some of us slip past

If you want to mosey about and take ur time dont drag the rest of us into it I dont wanna spend longer than neccessary driving when i could be somewhere better, like bed/pub/etc...
I agree - so when I'm being a 'slow-***' driver and only driving at 70mph on the motorway ( ) - I keep out of the way in the left hand lane and leave the rest of the road free for lunatics with a death wish.

Have to say though, I got my wish last night, everyone slowed right down - the M25 was completely stuffed and it took me over 2 hours to get home from work!
Old 21 July 2006, 02:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I support everything you say DBW. I have exactly the same problem getting barged out of the way even though I have to use an arm crutch to walk. I was taught as a child to give disabled people a bit of room since they are not agile and can easily fall, possibly with a nasty injury too. The best you'll get these days is a hurried sorry after they have bumped into you-"sorry" is not good enough in this respect. The worse thing is when they try to beat you to a gap and bang into you as they do it.

Les
Old 21 July 2006, 02:21 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I have exactly the same problem getting barged out of the way even though I have to use an arm crutch to walk. I was taught as a child to give disabled people a bit of room since they are not agile and can easily fall, possibly with a nasty injury too.
I've not seen many wild animals walking around with an arm crutch Les.

Maybe unnatural practises bring their own punishments?
Old 21 July 2006, 03:45 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I remember years ago there was an incident at Mr Kipling where someone put hash into the cake mix. I think that may be the solution - keep everyone well chilled.

(The best part was the press release which said that "People shouldn't worry if they eat one of the contaminated cakes - they'd just feel a little more relaxed than usual".)

Would be worth buying shares in a sausage roll factory too.....
Old 22 July 2006, 01:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Pity the poor troll!

Les