Notices

1st gear ratio..and BMWs with fog lights on

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2000, 07:46 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a 328i as a company car. I don't want to start a 328i vs Scoob debate - they're both fine cars in their own right, especially with the M-Tech suspension on the Beemer. Shame one costs half as much again as the other.

But getting to the point, I've noticed that 1st gear in the Scoob (MY00 - first one - cool so far) feels really short compared with the 328.

I can pull circa 35mph in 1st in the Beemer, which means that if I'm lazy, I can pootle through town heavy stop/start traffic in first only - or if I'm in a 0-60 type hurry the gear change occurs about half way through the exercise - or if I'm being (very) enthusiastic on country lanes with (really) sharp bends then changing down to first is an entirely practical way of helping braking and then being in the right gear/rev range to maximise acceleration away (don't know what you're meant to do, but its what I do!)

I can't pootle in the Scoob in first - its too short. And if I'm in a 0-60 hurry, then it seems time to change out of first as soon as I've let the clutch up - and the 0-60 times aren't that different (about 5.5 vs 6.5). Also the 1st-2nd gear change isn't very smooth (clunky and seem to lose a lot of rpm - does it get better after mileage? - currently only 1200 or so on the clock), so it's a bit traumatic getting the Scoob off the line quick compared with the 328. And I don't think I could ever consider changing down to first in the Scoob whilst moving.

Any thoughts? Does revving the Sccob to the max help? - I haven't done that yet as its too new at the moment. Is changing down to first when pressing on practical in a Scoob? Is there any difference in the ratios between UK and import models?

Martin

PS I did see a thread that talked about Beemer drivers that have their fog lights on 'cos it was foggy a week ago - as far as I'm concerned, give them all the Cibies/PIAAs in their rear view mirror/face they deserve. There's enough well placed bright lights in the instrument binnacle to tell them that they're on, so they deserve everything they get!
Old 22 February 2000, 09:54 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ratios on UK cars are longer than imports.
No WRX on the 0-60 sprint at Trax99 could manage 60 in less than 6 seconds, as they all had to go into third gear.
All UK cars could surpass 60 in second gear, hence the quicker times.
I think the gear ratio on my UK98 is nigh on perfect.
I think you'll also find that the car will loosen up tremendously as time goes on. It takes about 10,000 miles before everythings fully sorted apparently. I didn't mind, as this only took me 2 months!!!!
The gear change from 1st to 2nd is renowned for being notchy anyway.
Still enjoy the Scoob.
Not as refined as the Beemer, but when she's loose, she's awesome.

Stef.
PS I think you'll be lucky to get the 328 to 60 in 6.5 secs too.
No M3 at Trax could manage it in less than 6 either!!!