Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is this a scam???

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2006, 10:11 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a scam???

Has anybody seen this before? I reckon its a scam. The link doesn't work for me anyway.
I'm also suspicious that no name was left at the end of the email. Any ideas??

Military Grade Encryption is Only the Start

At PayPal, we want to increase your security and comfort level with every transaction. From our Buyer and Seller Protection Policies to our Verification and Reputation systems, we'll help to keep you safe.

We have recently noticed one or more attempts to log into your PayPal account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account may have been hijacked by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login in attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you are the rightful holder of the account, click on the link below to log into your account within the above-mentioned period.

LINK REMOVED

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporaly suspend your account.

We ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated and we strongly recommend to verify your account in that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as another PayPal user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Cheers,

Craig.

Last edited by CRAIGFIN; 11 July 2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11 July 2006, 10:14 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Yes, of course it is. It will take you to a paypal lookalike site, you'll log in, then they'll have your details to access your account at will. Paypal and most other financial institutes would never give you a direct link in an email to a log in page.
Avoid.
Old 11 July 2006, 10:22 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes

If you can be bothered send it to scam or spoof at Paypal. I'd just delete. You shouldn't have tried link btw.
Old 11 July 2006, 10:35 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i signed in and gave all my security details to an email like this, wonder if they saved the info, bet they thought bob the builder wasn't a real person lol

i get several emails a day like this in spam folder from banks asking to confirm security details, shame i don't use natwest, halifax tc, tis a bit of a give away lol
Old 11 July 2006, 10:50 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Simple rule is NEVER follow a link from an email - no matter how genuine it looks.

Close the email - go to your browser and you yourself type in the correct URL to your own Bank website\Paypal account whatever and take it from there.

URLS are *so* easy to spoof
Old 11 July 2006, 11:24 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Another useful rule - if the email has spelling errors in it, it's probably a spoof
"temporaly"
Old 11 July 2006, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Check directly with PayPal!

Les
Old 11 July 2006, 11:42 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Scam definately.

Safest things is to go directly to Paypal website by typing it directly into your web browser, then login to your account. If there's anything that needs authenticating it will obvious. Just don't follow a link from an email as it will almost certainly go to a lookalike site designed to capture your details.

I actually got a genuine email from Skype the other day offering me some free calls if I signed up to a new trial they were running. 100% sure it was genuine, and I have an account with them, but I never follow links from emails. I will go to their website and look there later if I remember.
Old 11 July 2006, 01:01 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the confirmation, strange as it may seem this is the first type of scam email I've ever received so I needed to be sure.
I've never even received an email from Nigeria offering me a cut of millions of pounds.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 11 July 2006, 03:25 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

I had one on the 8th July saying there was some unusual spending activitey with my account on the 11th July. I`ve also got a Nigerian government member trying to offload $41.5 million into my account he got ripped off the last time he tried to swindle his country off.