Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

new Job/ notice dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2006, 08:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Job/ notice dilemma

As you all know, ive was out of work, and i recently did some contract work for a local company.

some time ago they indicated a perminent offer would be made to me...

however a few weeks passed, and no offer, so i went for an interview at another firm... and again heard nothing...

surprise surprise the next day the original firm where i am working produced the contract and asked me for a start date... i stalled for a bit, and finally signed. much to the relief of the team i,m working with...

Then lo and behold the second firm who interviewed me came back and made me an offer

now i have a dilemma, both offer the same sallary, firm (A) where i am now offer overtime firm (B) new co. dont.

Firm (A) about 3/4 hrs drive away firm (B) 10mins

holiday is the same, and working hours are almost the same (A) 4-1/2 day week as opposed to (B) 80 hr fortnight, with every second friday off

now i,m seriously considering firm B, but obviously only just starting at firm a, realise its not going to go down to well. My notice perios is one week, but i intend to give them 2 out of courtesy.

what do you lot reckon? stay at A? go for B? and if i go is my notice period reasonable

mart
Old 06 July 2006, 08:55 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If youre happy in your current job, and theres no major benefits (ie much bigger salary) with the new job, then I'd stay with the current.

If you change and dont like the new one, you cant go back to the old..
Old 06 July 2006, 11:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

current job is ok, but cant see any long term future, (fledgling market, and limited work)

the new job has a current product running for next 5 yrs, and a new product being introduced nest year

Mart
Old 06 July 2006, 11:52 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

How about....

be honest with company B (after all its their fault for taking so long) and say that if they have another job in the future you'd like to hear from them.

Depends what you look for in an employer really. If it was me I'd be looking for one that appreciated my honesty - even if they weren't too thrilled, realised they'd missed the boat this time but would be interested in talking to me again in the future....

Admittedly I do have high expectations
Old 07 July 2006, 01:10 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

If your notice period is one week, then just work out the week, why drag it out any longer? You owe them nothing, as it was them dragging their heels that made you look for the another job anyway!

Do you think if they were making you redundant, they'd say we only have to pay him 2 weeks money, but he's a good guy, give him 4 weeks money?
Old 07 July 2006, 10:03 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Why don't you start to play them off against each other.
"I've been offered another job 10mins from where I live, pay me an extra 2k to cover my extra time/travel and I will stay" ..............etc.

99% of companies will pay more if they think they have the right person, you owe it to yourself, your family and your scooby to get the maxim worth from your career.

You have nothing to lose, if company A tell you to run and jump you still have B to fall backon or vice versa.

Old 08 July 2006, 11:20 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Interesting answers, just got the contract through from company B, not to bad, just a very high level of commitment required!!!

lots of paper work to look through!!

Mart
Old 08 July 2006, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a choice that only you can really make Mart. You know more about your personal circumstances than we do. Delighted to hear you have got a good job anyway. I knew it would eventually come good for you.

Les
Old 08 July 2006, 01:21 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

TA,

lets just say the choice is even more difficult, as its a stones throw from where your going to be this week end!!!

where i am now throws money at people when they threaten to leave, rusulting in some very poor managers/ supervisors

the other has a reputation built on quality, says it all really

Mart