Need a bike, Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2006, 11:30 AM
Edd_Z
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a bike, Advice Please!

Hi,

Decided i really need to work my knee more after ACL reconstruction.

I would like to buy a road bike to do a fair few miles a week.

Dont think the knee is up to off road biking yet.

Anyone got any reccomendations for discount Bicycle shops on the net, dont mind if they are ex demo, old stock etc but i would like a good bike for a good price, and advice would be great.

Cheers

Edd
Old 30 June 2006, 11:51 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Budget?
Old 30 June 2006, 11:57 AM
sienar33
Scooby Regular

FWEvans quite often have last seasons bikes, for a bit of a discount.
Cycling Weekly have some good adverts/deals, bought a road bike from there couple of years ago.

Have you thought about a mountain bike, you could fit skinnies for road work and use fats for when your knee is a bit stronger.
The triple chainset would give you a wider (lower) range of gears, enabling you to keep stress to your knee to a minimum.
Also much easier to ride a mountain bike with a nice big pair of flat pedals, I assume you have been advised against using clipped pedal/shoe combos.
As somebody that has experienced knee problems, I would certainly stay away from clips initially.

You don't say how much you have to spend, but I have always thought Specialized low to mid range bikes are reasonable value, I know other people on here say Halfords/Carrera is ok, but the few times I have had stuff from there has always been a pain (doesn't fit/breaks/wears too quickly)

Hope that helps some way, good luck with the knee.
Rob
Old 30 June 2006, 12:02 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Road biking can be tougher on your knees as you usually push bigger gears for more sustained periods.

As above evans has some good deals ususally

and also http://activesportskit.co.uk/

Last edited by anc-sti; 30 June 2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 30 June 2006, 12:27 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

How tall are you?
Where do you live?
What's your budget?

I've got my Cannondale r400 road bike gathering dust in my garage, for sale to a good home. Fits me, and I'm 6'2" (it's a bit small for me actually ) and I live near stockport.

chris.
Old 30 June 2006, 12:33 PM
Edd_Z
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Havent really thought about budget yet, i am a bit out of touch with the bike scene to be honest.

Did a few Mountainbike competions when i was younger but havent ridden in ages.

Would like to have something nice and solid which will be up to 2 or 3 long rides a week.

How much would you be after for the cannondale?

Anyone with any bikes they would like to sell, my work email is ethompson@tcpc.co.uk

Thanks everyone.

Edd
Old 30 June 2006, 12:36 PM
Edd_Z
Scooby Newbie

Oh yeah i forgot.

I am about 6ft 2ish and a few pound over my fighting weight!!!
Old 30 June 2006, 01:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

You MUST go to a decent bike shop and get properly fitted to a bike that suits you - they vary hugely; particularly important if you have a rebuilt knee.

Also, ignore the guff about not using clips (i.e. Shimano SPD type, not toe clips) - they are the most efficient way to cycle, and I wouldn't pedal any other way - both our road and mountain bikes. With your knee it will lock the foot into a stable position and prevent foot thus knee twisting which can only benefit. Set the pedals loose so they clipout easily.

Normal Scoobynet bar room experts my wife is a serious roadie (E2E, C2C etc) just back in the saddle - and using SPD pedals - after trashing her MCL/ACL back in January.

Seek advice on this also from a decent bike shop.

Have fun
Old 30 June 2006, 02:02 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

edd, you have mail.
Old 30 June 2006, 02:06 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

How long ago did you have your ACL reconstructed mate, and what else are you doing for it exercise/gym wise?

If you dont mind me asking of course!
Old 30 June 2006, 02:12 PM
Edd_Z
Scooby Newbie

I had the operation on Jan 12th and have been going to physio once a week.

Actually my physio has given me a bollocking as i havent been doing as much excercise as i shoul be, stretching etc etc.

So i have decided to get a bike and am going to join the gym(should of done it months ago!!!) as my weight is getting out of control as i dont get to play rugby any more and probebley never will as they took away quite a lot of cartlige which was damaged!

Wish i had broken my leg to be honest but you play the game, you take the risk!
Old 30 June 2006, 02:26 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Don't want to sound like I'm preeching to you or anything mate, but I've had both ACL's done, and my brother had one.

He still hasn't got his leg back up to pre op standards as he slacked on his physio, and then stopped after about 6 -7 months. I did mine 3 times a week and got it back to a good level after a year. I stopped then however, as I thought it was back to normal, but I then went and tore my meniscus cartilidge about 2 years later.

After getting that fixed, I ended up at a physio whos company looked after Northampton Saints, The Lions team and were on the Olympic team too - so knew their stuff. He basically told me the most important part is building the muscle strength back up (doing weights in the gym mainly) and to continue doing two heavy sessions a week in the gym for as long as I wanted to play contact sports. He said I've obviously got a weakness in my knees as I've torn things in there 7 or 8 times now, but with regular gym work I should be okay.

Basically, he couldn't stress enough how important the gym/ muscle building side of things were after an ACL, and the continuation of the gym work in the long term.

If you'd like to know what program he set out for me, I'd be happy to PM it to you mate.
Old 30 June 2006, 02:30 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Clipless pedals would be fine, but they must have float as fixed foot position will cause you more problems.

Some riders get knee cap pain after switching to clipless pedals systems from old fashioned clips and pedals, which allowed a little play between the shoe and pedal. This is why the floating clipless systems were introduced later on, allowing some slight movement of the foot.
With your knee it will lock the foot into a stable position and prevent foot thus knee twisting which can only benefit.
If you have knee problems the chances are your knee will need to twist a little.

I dunno Scoobynet bar room experts at it again.

Some good advice here.
http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/pain/knee-pain.shtml

Last edited by anc-sti; 30 June 2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01 July 2006, 07:07 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I obviouly didn't mean SPD pedals lock your foot in with no movement at all, and nor do they, as anyone that uses them knows

Also, note my very last comment
Seek advice on this also
and that obviously from those that really know, not any of us on here

That's an interesting article, and note it says check your position on the bike - which goes back to my comment of get yourself fitted to the correct bike at a decent bike shop, and not just the first apparent bargain Fred down the pub offers you. You won't do yourself any favours riding the wrong size/shape/setup bike with your knee. You only get one chance to fix it properly!

Last edited by Dave T-S; 01 July 2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01 July 2006, 10:01 AM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular