Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Let my dog go tonight :(

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2006, 09:35 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Let my dog go tonight :(

Following on from my dog jealousy thread, ive had little choice but to take him to the dogs rehoming centre tonight (thanks for everyones advice & help )

As I just havent had any response from anyone wanting him

It was quite upsetting to do tonight, and im still feeling quite bad about it

here are a few pics of him

Just hope he goes to a good home

Steve
Old 29 June 2006, 09:56 PM
duSTI's PA
Scooby Regular

Location: i no longer use Scoobynet please do not PM this account
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve

I'm sure he will go to a good and loving home , the rehoming centres vet possible new owners really well these days, I saw your other thread , and it's always a difficult situation and you have to do what's best and you have.
well done on making a tough choice

Micah
Old 29 June 2006, 10:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Old 29 June 2006, 10:08 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

ah, so he wasn't put down?

doh!

He'll be fine
Old 29 June 2006, 10:11 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

No responses on the "doomed budgie" thread, I see.
Old 29 June 2006, 10:12 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
ah, so he wasn't put down?

doh!

He'll be fine
tut some people haven't a clue.

I am facing having to give my three cats to a cat charity and its breaking my heart. A good peice of advice a friend of mine gave to me is to ask yourself who you feel most sad for, you or the animal? The animals will be fine, its us who feel the guilt and the sadness oh god here I go again
Old 29 June 2006, 10:16 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Sonic, I'm so sorry for you Your dog will be fine, I'm sure. Be grateful that you had an option other than to battle it out at home
Old 29 June 2006, 10:28 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Had to go through a similar thing a while back......>see here<
Not a nice thing to have to do but all in the dog's best interest.

All the best

Paul
Old 29 June 2006, 10:38 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hope he finds a good home. Looking at the pics it shouldn't be too long before he's settled in somewhere nice.
Old 29 June 2006, 11:45 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

It's never good to loose a pet, but worse to give them away.
We had one of Ze German Shepards and at 2yrs old we had to give him up. We working alot and just couldn't give him the time and energy he needed, broke my heart to give the daft sod up.
Old 30 June 2006, 12:05 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

must've been a very difficult decision Steve, all the best mate
Old 30 June 2006, 12:24 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is just so awful, I can't even begin to imagine how that must feel. He looks like a lovely dog but we can't have pets (and I'm allergic to dogs) which is a complete pain
Old 30 June 2006, 12:34 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheers Phil, it was a difficult decision, by the time I started the original thread on dog jealousy I was already coming to the conclusion of having to rehome him

the last few days has been hard on him too, as he has been pining for his brother, but i deliberatly seperated them to try and have some time with him before he went

What made it harder was that he went to a new home (to friends, where he would have been seen at least several times a week, and still see his brother) and they didnt want him, and he came back to me a week later, with a muzzle on too, which I actually found quite upsetting

In the dog homing place whilst sorting out the paperwork, 2 great danes came in and my dog went a bit nuts, tail and body still wagging, and he caught the end of his tail, and I got covered in blood, along with the entire reception area, so much that the guy who came to take my dog from me, asked was 'he' in season

Until I explained the tail, then he took him outside away from the great danes, until I could go and say goodbye, and all this time he sat there looking at me wagging his whole body and wanting to come to me for some affection, and i had to walk away

Im not happy at all about having to do this, but felt I had little choice, and feel like ive let my dog down, and he is only 12 months old, and probably hasnt a clue what is going on,

but hopefully he will settle down wherever he goes to, but in the long run it is for the best, or so I have to keep telling myself

Steve
Old 30 June 2006, 12:46 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it is for the best, but I cant really appreciate how you must feel because its something I've never had to do. I resisted the urge to post on the origional thread because I felt that even though you needed to vent some frustration, you really didnt need the conflicting views of a forum.

he will eventually get a good home and I'm sure as a young dog that his personality and temprement will change over the next year. Sad for your loss mate, but I still think you did the right thing.

If it wasnt for my very busy work schedule ,I'd love to have a dog but unfortunately it aint gong to happen
Old 30 June 2006, 12:57 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

im realy sorry for you sonic
it would litrally kill me if i had to loose my 2 cats, i love them to bitsand have kept me going thru the hard times ive had in my life. Its amazing no matter how stupid dogs/cats are, they always help.
Old 30 June 2006, 01:26 AM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Am gutted, would have loved to have him back. I just hope to god, someone out there will give him a good home. You dont know how it pains me to hear this Am so very sorry Steve
Old 30 June 2006, 01:32 AM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Sonic, sad to read this tonight. Looks like a lovely lad as well

I dont know what I would do without my 7 month old dog now. The joy he has brought me since I got him has been incredible and hes now my right hand man

I feel your pain
Old 30 June 2006, 07:28 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

sorry to hear that, but i'm sure you've done what's best for you and the dog...
Old 30 June 2006, 08:02 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Really sorry to hear that Sonic. I think I'm gonna have to do the same with our dog too.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/mok79/DSC00951.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/mok79/DSC00956.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/mok79/DSC00919.jpg

He is such a brilliant dog. He is now 8 months but he is so obedient and very loving. The problem we have is he is so protective. When the kids have friends round he would occasionally end up nipping them but quite badly and all they've done is point a toy gun at my kids, and other things like that. We muzzle him now all the time when people are round but its breaking his heart and ours, he hates it. But people are starting to think he's aggressive but really he's just protecting. Its causing so many problems for my wife and kids. I couldn't give to F*cks what people think. But i'm at work all day and don't have to face it so, there you go.

Once again sorry to hear that Sonic
Old 30 June 2006, 12:18 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I really feel for you - I had to do that once with a lunatic dog I had called Poppy. She was bonkers - a really lovely, good natured staffy cross - not a nasty bone in her body. But as soon as you set foot outside the house (leaving her inside) she destroyed the place - walls, sofas, chairs, cupboards - nothing was safe!

I tried all the distractions I could think of - lots of long walks to wear her out, those chew toys you can hide food inside, stashing treats in safe areas around the house, fappin enormous chew sticks & hide chews - but nothing at all worked.

I had to take her for rehoming - at least I could confirm that she was fantastic with kids and other dogs. I really hope she went to a home full of energetic young kids as that's exactly what would have suited her. I took her to the Battersea Place in Old Windsor cos I know they never put healthy dogs down - I could never have taken her anywhere that had a less sympathetic policy!

Hope you're feeling cheerier soon!
Old 30 June 2006, 12:22 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

the rehoming centres are tip top at ensuring the dog goes to a good home, you did the right thing
Old 30 June 2006, 01:59 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

at least you didnt have to put the little fella down. I had to do that back in jan with my dads dog. Stayed with it as it was put to sleep. One of the worst experiences in my life as his eyes slowly closed for the final time. (dog was 14 and had a good life but still very upsetting nevertheless)
Old 30 June 2006, 04:08 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

I feel for you Sonic.......
But on a more positive note the Girlfriend and i took on a dog from a re-homing place about 3 months ago he had been in there for 3 months, and had been rehomed once before we got him (they took him back after two days as he was'nt like the dog they had just lost) Pathetic!!!

He is a very happy chappy gets loads of love and attention from the girlfriend and the kids and long walks from me. So don't worry about your dog he will find a loving home and get plenty of attention.
Old 30 June 2006, 08:31 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Others have said it already, but I feel your pain.

The rehoming centre near us (NCDL) are great, we applied to them for a dog and the questions/tests you have have to answer. There is no way he can go to a bad home

You made the right dec`ision.

Keep your chin up son.

Darren
Old 30 June 2006, 08:43 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

i just actually started crying at this i have a black lab but its female soft as anything, its such a shame that you couldnt sort the problem out i would of ended up going back and bringing it home i could cope with out it but im a big softie with animals, he looks so cute though too even i miss him and he aint my dog!
Old 01 July 2006, 08:35 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

We've got a similar problem. Took on a border collie from a friend who told us it would be fine with other animals. It looks like a beautiful loving dog but it doesn't play well with others. Our cats can never leave the house now as he waits by the cat flap to attack them as soon as they go out and he also attacks our other border collie that we've had since birth.

The final straw is that he keeps on running off to the farm down the road and chasing their sheep. I know its natural for him to want to do that (he's a sheep dog after all!) but the farmer is not amused and is threathening to shoot him if it continues. I've tried keeping him in a fenced compound or even putting him on a long chain but he looks so sad tied up and we think it would be better to let him go to a better home.

Not an easy decision.

Sid
Old 01 July 2006, 11:26 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

dont do it, it will miss you