Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Long weekend in devon - places to go?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2006, 08:31 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long weekend in devon - places to go?

The misses and I are hoping to go to Devon for a long weekend next week, can anyone recommend anywhere to head for?

Ideally we're looking for somewehe thats not too touristy and obviously nice to go! And we will be camping

Any recommendations for places to go/stay appreciated.

Ben
Old 24 June 2006, 10:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just come back from a fortnight down there. We camped for 3 nights but were in a hotel the week before and after. If you can head a little further south into North Cornwall then I recommend Dennis Cove on the edge of Padstow. Less than 5 minutes walk into Padstow and on the edge of the Camel Trail overlooking the estuary. Hire bikes and do the trail (34 (easy) miles to the end and back) stopping off for beer and cream teas en-route. A few miles north is Port Isaac (Port Wyn in Doc Martin) where The Slipway serve the best fish'n'chips in the world IMHO. Walk the Coast Path from PI to Port Quinn for the most arduous 3 miles of your life, returning by the easier 2 mile land route. Nearby Boscastle is beautiful, with a superb 4 miler to Tintagel (mythical home of Merlin and birthplace of King Arthur). Summerleaze Beach at Bude is lovely in the evening as the sun is setting, with a good walk to Widemouth bay. Clovelly on the north Devon coast is a step back in time and well worth a visit, but wear comfortable shoes. Again, there is a good walk going west from above the village. Hire some bikes in Barnstaple and follow the Tarka Trail along the estuary to Bideford, and then inland to Torrington. Not as scenic as the Camel, but still good.

Finally, enjoy the roads but be ever wary of the (s)camera vans. There's lots and they're very strict. I thought I'd been done but seem to have got away with it, so keep religiously to any limits in camera signed villages, and on the desolate A30 over Bodmin Moor

HTH, and have a good 'un
Old 24 June 2006, 10:58 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Have a look on here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/re...county=N+Devon If you don't want all the bright lights and touristy stuff, stick to North Devon, and ideally not to close to the sea, as Corradoboy said, Clovelly is very nice and the Tarka trail is always nice to cycle along. Or try somewhere nearer the moors based around the Okehampton area, the best advice i can give you though, is stay away from the A30 at whiddon down, there was 10 mile tailbacks today because of ongoing roadworks.
Old 24 June 2006, 10:59 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Plymouth's quite nice this time of year.
Old 24 June 2006, 11:01 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Plymouth's quite nice this time of year.
Don't tell lie's Plymouths a ****hole at any time of year.
Old 25 June 2006, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There are so many good places to see and outstanding scenery that it is difficult to direct you to any specific place. Dartmoor is great as a wild area with sheep and ponies to see, and places like Widdecombe and the river Dart etc. Pick a day with good visibilty. A sight of the exterior of Dartmoor Prison is enough to convince you not to try the inside! The restaurant at Badger's Holt is pleasant for a snack while sitting by the River Dart at Dartsmeet where the east and west Dart join.

Yoiu have to remember I am biased because I fish the Dart

Enjoy the weekend.

Les
Old 25 June 2006, 01:21 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers chaps
Old 25 June 2006, 05:24 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
There are so many good places to see and outstanding scenery that it is difficult to direct you to any specific place. Dartmoor is great as a wild area with sheep and ponies to see, and places like Widdecombe and the river Dart etc. Pick a day with good visibilty. A sight of the exterior of Dartmoor Prison is enough to convince you not to try the inside! The restaurant at Badger's Holt is pleasant for a snack while sitting by the River Dart at Dartsmeet where the east and west Dart join.

Yoiu have to remember I am biased because I fish the Dart

Enjoy the weekend.

Les
I used to fish the Dart, do you live on or around Dartmoor? perhaps you can offer me some tips, i have been fishing the Taw and Torridge, plus the Tiegn occasionaly.
Old 25 June 2006, 06:33 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
Don't tell lie's Plymouths a ****hole at any time of year.
too right
Old 25 June 2006, 07:15 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

have a look around Dartmouth, also for great beaches Slapton Sands and Blackpool sands.
Old 25 June 2006, 07:27 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^ Blackpool Sands is like being in the Med on a good day
Old 25 June 2006, 07:34 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Originally Posted by jonc
have a look around Dartmouth, also for great beaches Slapton Sands and Blackpool sands.
Slapton Sands has a tank on it - in memorial of D Day IIRC
Old 26 June 2006, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Shaunywrx,

I live fairly near the Dart and usually fish Totnes weir pool and other places up to Buckfastleigh and also just past Ashburton.

It has been very difficult for Sea Trout this year due to the cold snap and then the heavy rain. The early run has finished now so we are now waiting for the Peal.

This season a Gold bodied Alexandra and the Teal Blue and Silver has worked as well as anything. The Silver Stoat's Tail and the Bloody Butcher are also excellent flies for the Dart at least. Small flies seem to do best.

I haven't fished the rivers you have though.

Les
Old 26 June 2006, 01:39 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Personally I adore Lynmouth and the walks up to Waters Meet - though I have to say I prefer the place in the winter. You've probably already booked somewhere to stay, but if not and you fancy a romantic treat I can definitely recommend The Rising Sun hotel in Lynmouth:

http://www.specialplace.co.uk/

Even if you're just visiting you could at least have a meal there - even their lunchtime bar meals are fabulous! (Not the cheapest place in the world - but you gets what you pays for!)

Enjoy!

Old 26 June 2006, 02:04 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

if the weathers good, The Cary Arms (Beach Road) in Babbacombe is a wonderful place to have some food and drink.
Old 26 June 2006, 03:15 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I stay at Oakdown Caravan park near Sidmouth not far from the Devon Dorset border.
Lime Regis and Sidmouth (both stunning) are within easy reach as is a place called "Beer" which is no bad thing
The Donkey Sanctuary is also only a walk away from the site.
Branscombe is nice too and the kids like Exmouth although its a tad tacky
Dartmouth and Dartmoor are only an hour away with a nice walk from Dartmouth to Sugary Cove etc...
Thats my usual ports of call when I go down that way (a few times a year) although having seen everywhere there is now, we tend to just get drunk at the Mariners pub on the front at Sidmouth
Old 27 June 2006, 10:12 AM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Personally I adore Lynmouth and the walks up to Waters Meet - though I have to say I prefer the place in the winter. You've probably already booked somewhere to stay, but if not and you fancy a romantic treat I can definitely recommend The Rising Sun hotel in Lynmouth:

http://www.specialplace.co.uk/

Even if you're just visiting you could at least have a meal there - even their lunchtime bar meals are fabulous! (Not the cheapest place in the world - but you gets what you pays for!)

Enjoy!

Went on honeymoon there and had a great time- very special place. been back many times since. however, when the owners changed the standards dropped and we ended up having a huge argument with the head waiter guy who was a tosser, and i phoned the new owner at his home who admitted to 'teething problems'. anyway, we packed our bags and left. had an offer of returning for a complimentary stay but didn't accept.
Old 27 June 2006, 03:09 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Shaunywrx,

I live fairly near the Dart and usually fish Totnes weir pool and other places up to Buckfastleigh and also just past Ashburton.

It has been very difficult for Sea Trout this year due to the cold snap and then the heavy rain. The early run has finished now so we are now waiting for the Peal.

This season a Gold bodied Alexandra and the Teal Blue and Silver has worked as well as anything. The Silver Stoat's Tail and the Bloody Butcher are also excellent flies for the Dart at least. Small flies seem to do best.

I haven't fished the rivers you have though.

Les

Thank you Les, i must admit i have'nt fished much this year compared to most years, just waiting for some rain really, back on topic, another vote for Lynmouth.