ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Long weekend in devon - places to go? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/525252-long-weekend-in-devon-places-to-go.html)

jamin 24 June 2006 08:31 PM

Long weekend in devon - places to go?

The misses and I are hoping to go to Devon for a long weekend next week, can anyone recommend anywhere to head for?

Ideally we're looking for somewehe thats not too touristy and obviously nice to go! And we will be camping ;)

Any recommendations for places to go/stay appreciated.

Ben

corradoboy 24 June 2006 10:50 PM

Just come back from a fortnight down there. We camped for 3 nights but were in a hotel the week before and after. If you can head a little further south into North Cornwall then I recommend Dennis Cove on the edge of Padstow. Less than 5 minutes walk into Padstow and on the edge of the Camel Trail overlooking the estuary. Hire bikes and do the trail (34 (easy) miles to the end and back) stopping off for beer and cream teas en-route. A few miles north is Port Isaac (Port Wyn in Doc Martin) where The Slipway serve the best fish'n'chips in the world IMHO. Walk the Coast Path from PI to Port Quinn for the most arduous 3 miles of your life, returning by the easier 2 mile land route. Nearby Boscastle is beautiful, with a superb 4 miler to Tintagel (mythical home of Merlin and birthplace of King Arthur). Summerleaze Beach at Bude is lovely in the evening as the sun is setting, with a good walk to Widemouth bay. Clovelly on the north Devon coast is a step back in time and well worth a visit, but wear comfortable shoes. Again, there is a good walk going west from above the village. Hire some bikes in Barnstaple and follow the Tarka Trail along the estuary to Bideford, and then inland to Torrington. Not as scenic as the Camel, but still good.

Finally, enjoy the roads :notworthy but be ever wary of the (s)camera vans. There's lots and they're very strict. I thought I'd been done but seem to have got away with it, so keep religiously to any limits in camera signed villages, and on the desolate A30 over Bodmin Moor :rolleyes:

HTH, and have a good 'un :thumb:

shaunywrx 24 June 2006 10:58 PM

Have a look on here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/re...county=N+Devon If you don't want all the bright lights and touristy stuff, stick to North Devon, and ideally not to close to the sea, as Corradoboy said, Clovelly is very nice and the Tarka trail is always nice to cycle along. Or try somewhere nearer the moors based around the Okehampton area, the best advice i can give you though, is stay away from the A30 at whiddon down, there was 10 mile tailbacks today because of ongoing roadworks.

JTaylor 24 June 2006 10:59 PM

Plymouth's quite nice this time of year. :thumb:

shaunywrx 24 June 2006 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Plymouth's quite nice this time of year. :thumb:

Don't tell lie's Plymouths a ****hole at any time of year.:D

Leslie 25 June 2006 12:19 PM

There are so many good places to see and outstanding scenery that it is difficult to direct you to any specific place. Dartmoor is great as a wild area with sheep and ponies to see, and places like Widdecombe and the river Dart etc. Pick a day with good visibilty. A sight of the exterior of Dartmoor Prison is enough to convince you not to try the inside! The restaurant at Badger's Holt is pleasant for a snack while sitting by the River Dart at Dartsmeet where the east and west Dart join.

Yoiu have to remember I am biased because I fish the Dart :)

Enjoy the weekend.

Les

jamin 25 June 2006 01:21 PM

Cheers chaps

shaunywrx 25 June 2006 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
There are so many good places to see and outstanding scenery that it is difficult to direct you to any specific place. Dartmoor is great as a wild area with sheep and ponies to see, and places like Widdecombe and the river Dart etc. Pick a day with good visibilty. A sight of the exterior of Dartmoor Prison is enough to convince you not to try the inside! The restaurant at Badger's Holt is pleasant for a snack while sitting by the River Dart at Dartsmeet where the east and west Dart join.

Yoiu have to remember I am biased because I fish the Dart :)

Enjoy the weekend.

Les

I used to fish the Dart, do you live on or around Dartmoor? perhaps you can offer me some tips, i have been fishing the Taw and Torridge, plus the Tiegn occasionaly.:)

Miss Kinky 25 June 2006 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
Don't tell lie's Plymouths a ****hole at any time of year.:D

too right :D

jonc 25 June 2006 07:15 PM

have a look around Dartmouth, also for great beaches Slapton Sands and Blackpool sands.

corradoboy 25 June 2006 07:27 PM

^^ Blackpool Sands is like being in the Med on a good day :cool:

Miss Kinky 25 June 2006 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jonc
have a look around Dartmouth, also for great beaches Slapton Sands and Blackpool sands.

Slapton Sands has a tank on it - in memorial of D Day IIRC

Leslie 26 June 2006 12:50 PM

Shaunywrx,

I live fairly near the Dart and usually fish Totnes weir pool and other places up to Buckfastleigh and also just past Ashburton.

It has been very difficult for Sea Trout this year due to the cold snap and then the heavy rain. The early run has finished now so we are now waiting for the Peal.

This season a Gold bodied Alexandra and the Teal Blue and Silver has worked as well as anything. The Silver Stoat's Tail and the Bloody Butcher are also excellent flies for the Dart at least. Small flies seem to do best.

I haven't fished the rivers you have though.

Les :)

Drunken Bungle Whore 26 June 2006 01:39 PM

Personally I adore Lynmouth and the walks up to Waters Meet - though I have to say I prefer the place in the winter. You've probably already booked somewhere to stay, but if not and you fancy a romantic treat I can definitely recommend The Rising Sun hotel in Lynmouth:

http://www.specialplace.co.uk/

Even if you're just visiting you could at least have a meal there - even their lunchtime bar meals are fabulous! (Not the cheapest place in the world - but you gets what you pays for!)

Enjoy!

:D

RichWalk 26 June 2006 02:04 PM

if the weathers good, The Cary Arms (Beach Road) in Babbacombe is a wonderful place to have some food and drink.

Abdabz 26 June 2006 03:15 PM

I stay at Oakdown Caravan park near Sidmouth not far from the Devon Dorset border.
Lime Regis and Sidmouth (both stunning) are within easy reach as is a place called "Beer" which is no bad thing :)
The Donkey Sanctuary is also only a walk away from the site.
Branscombe is nice too and the kids like Exmouth although its a tad tacky :D
Dartmouth and Dartmoor are only an hour away with a nice walk from Dartmouth to Sugary Cove etc...
Thats my usual ports of call when I go down that way (a few times a year) although having seen everywhere there is now, we tend to just get drunk at the Mariners pub on the front at Sidmouth :thumb:

andyfish 27 June 2006 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle Whore
Personally I adore Lynmouth and the walks up to Waters Meet - though I have to say I prefer the place in the winter. You've probably already booked somewhere to stay, but if not and you fancy a romantic treat I can definitely recommend The Rising Sun hotel in Lynmouth:

http://www.specialplace.co.uk/

Even if you're just visiting you could at least have a meal there - even their lunchtime bar meals are fabulous! (Not the cheapest place in the world - but you gets what you pays for!)

Enjoy!

:D

Went on honeymoon there and had a great time- very special place. been back many times since. however, when the owners changed the standards dropped and we ended up having a huge argument with the head waiter guy who was a tosser, and i phoned the new owner at his home who admitted to 'teething problems'. anyway, we packed our bags and left. had an offer of returning for a complimentary stay but didn't accept.

shaunywrx 27 June 2006 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Shaunywrx,

I live fairly near the Dart and usually fish Totnes weir pool and other places up to Buckfastleigh and also just past Ashburton.

It has been very difficult for Sea Trout this year due to the cold snap and then the heavy rain. The early run has finished now so we are now waiting for the Peal.

This season a Gold bodied Alexandra and the Teal Blue and Silver has worked as well as anything. The Silver Stoat's Tail and the Bloody Butcher are also excellent flies for the Dart at least. Small flies seem to do best.

I haven't fished the rivers you have though.

Les :)

Thank you Les, i must admit i have'nt fished much this year compared to most years, just waiting for some rain really, back on topic, another vote for Lynmouth.:)