Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motorway Gantry Signs -v- Highway Code

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2006, 01:57 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorway Gantry Signs -v- Highway Code

Just curious - I drive a stretch of the M25 every day (M40 - M3 - lucky me!) and most days the gantry signs read "Congestion, Stay in Lane". Very often the lane to my left becomes clear enough for me to pull into. So - should I obey the gantry and stay in my lane, or should I pull into the lane to my left?

(Note - has anyone else noticed that when the "Stay in Lane" signs appear, it has rather the same effect on the traffic as hearing Mike Reid bellow "Runnarrraaannnddd Naaaaahhhhh!")

Last edited by Drunken Bungle Whore; 22 June 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 22 June 2006, 02:02 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

when i get into situations like that (specially a 4 lane stretch like that one) i go in to chill out mode and just sit where I am knowing I'll get to where I'm going eventually

It always seems that the people who duck and dive and jump lanes never really get any further forward
Old 22 June 2006, 02:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

As soon as I am in a position where I'm not overtaking I head for the left most lane. If traffic is getting very busy I tend to head in that direction too, I usually find I make better progress in that lane as nobody else seems to want to be in it.
Old 22 June 2006, 02:35 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I agree - and that's usually the approach I take as well - but I'm just curious as to what is technically 'correct'.
Old 22 June 2006, 04:15 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

The signs are advisory only unless they've got a red circle around them
Old 22 June 2006, 05:55 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Ta everso!

Old 23 June 2006, 10:21 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
As soon as I am in a position where I'm not overtaking I head for the left most lane. If traffic is getting very busy I tend to head in that direction too, I usually find I make better progress in that lane as nobody else seems to want to be in it.
especially if you are coming up to a junction because alot of the cars in front of you will leave the motorway
Old 23 June 2006, 11:14 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

OK - now I have a supplementary question. Why do all speed limit signs have red borders - apart from the national speed limit sign? (The white one with the diagonal black line).
Old 23 June 2006, 11:15 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK

That's what I do, I find mainly beacuse the trucks stick at a more constant and slower speed and thus no start/stop.

Whilst everyone in lane 2 and 3 (mainly cars) Puts their foot down as soon as they see some space, they then have to slam their brakes on because they are bunched up 200yards further on Dangerous, waste of fuel, waste of brake pads. Whilst in Lane 1 you just potter past everyone
Old 23 June 2006, 12:43 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
OK - now I have a supplementary question. Why do all speed limit signs have red borders - apart from the national speed limit sign? (The white one with the diagonal black line).
The "national speed limit applies" sign cancells the previous restriction (30, 40, 50) etc. Many years ago before Barbarra Castle, there wasn't an "Open road speed limit". Until people started testing supercars on the "new" M1 at the time.

BTW: I head for the nearside lane in two situations...
1) The average speed is less than or close to 55mph which is what the lorries can do.
2) Traffic on the motorway slows and stops.

Frequently, the nearside lane continues to potter along with the stress of zero braking distance and mass panic braking that goes with the "fast" lane.

If I can't blast along, then I'll potter along, depending on which car I'm driving.

J.
Old 23 June 2006, 01:19 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by scarey
especially if you are coming up to a junction because alot of the cars in front of you will leave the motorway
But after you've gone past the off slip an equal number of cars join lane 1 from the on slip, so you are no better off
Old 23 June 2006, 01:55 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
But after you've gone past the off slip an equal number of cars join lane 1 from the on slip, so you are no better off
Yes.... but a lot of people move to the middle lane to "prepare" for junctions and the on-slip. At very busy times, this means the outside two lanes clog up, whilst it's possible to move to the inside and potter along at 40 and then merge into the middle lane at or just before the on-slip.

J.
Old 23 June 2006, 01:56 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
The "national speed limit applies" sign cancells the previous restriction (30, 40, 50) etc. Many years ago before Barbarra Castle, there wasn't an "Open road speed limit". Until people started testing supercars on the "new" M1 at the time.

BTW: I head for the nearside lane in two situations...
1) The average speed is less than or close to 55mph which is what the lorries can do.
2) Traffic on the motorway slows and stops.

Frequently, the nearside lane continues to potter along with the stress of zero braking distance and mass panic braking that goes with the "fast" lane.

If I can't blast along, then I'll potter along, depending on which car I'm driving.

J.
Thanks for that - just having an inquisitive afternoon!