Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Keeping a suit smart while travelling?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2006, 12:48 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Keeping a suit smart while travelling?

How do you do it? I've had a garment bag up to now, not bad but a few weeks ago a woman at Air France check-in said it was too big for the cabin - pointed to one of those frames that measures the size of the cabin bag - and insisted I put it in the hold. I was spitting mad but couldn't argue, the frames don't seem to accomodate/ accept garment bags. TBH I also find them a bit bulky and unpleasant as unchecked baggage.

Having looked for a year or more at these new fancy cabin bags that have a foldaway section, I finally bought one - the top of the range Samsonite, as advertised by R Branson (is he Sir?), and costing about £170.

Used it last week. On both occasions the suit came out looking like it had been taken out of the bag, had a baggage label stuck on it and was thrown in with the rest of the suitcases Utterly, utterly useless product.

So aside from me trying to get my money back (should be a laugh, I bought it in Vienna airport and I'm not going back there soon ), do you lot have any tried/tested methods? Apart from the garment bag, I usually just re-iron it at the hotel, using their iron - but this can cause problems when I arrive late and a meeting starts early. I've heard of stories like hanging shirts in the bathroom and running a steamy shower, but can't honestly believe it works. Or do you take a travel iron?

Suggestions - non-Samsonite - gratefully received...
Old 23 June 2006, 01:31 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't comment on the bag situation. have a cardin (?) suit carried that seems to do the trick.

i always look for suits that list 'traveller freindly' on the label. m&s do a range like this. ok, still looks a bit of a mess after 10 hours in the hold but the fabric returns to shape after a night in the wardrobe.

hope this helps
Old 23 June 2006, 01:58 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Antler do a roll one for cabins called a 'wardrobe pack'. Has space for 8 hangers in it IIRC.
its part of their 'bond street' range- i have one piece of that range and its pretty nice. 7 year warranty too
www.antler.co.uk

no idea how to keep a suit wrinkle free- i dont wear one.
have enough problems with creased shirts my in luggage TBH so i sympathise.