Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Business in Bangalore - transport?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2006, 09:32 AM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Business in Bangalore - transport?

Anyone been on business to Bangalore?

I've got a nice hotel booked but I'm worried about transport to/from place of work. Are public taxis available, reliable and safe?

I've been to many places in the world and I'm not overly worried - there's always a way - but I'd rather not get rickshaws (not safe enough), and car hire is not an option - I'm not going to drive in India, that would be madness!
Old 22 June 2006, 09:43 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have worked in Bangalore on and off for the past three years.

The motorised rickshaws are safe and very cheap. You need to make sure they use the meter - it is illegal for them not too. If they are on the meter it is very cheap. Even if they are not they will haggle with you as a non-resident and it will still be cheap.

There are not public taxis however all hotels will make a car available for you and it comes with a driver. It is between £10-15 per day.

The driver will be available to you from whatever time you specify in the morning until you send him home. He only gets paid if you use him. If he drives you to work he will wait there until you come home.

Having a mobile is useful to call up your driver when you see him.

Slightly cheaper is to call Avis locally and they will supply the same car and driver but it will be a little cheaper as it is not through the hotel.

Bangalore is a great city - although recently there has been a backlash against westernisation and the local governer has banned dancing!! There were some great clubs like Spin and 1912.

A great bar is the 13th Floor - good atmosphere, open balconies overlooking the city. It is off MG Road.

Depending on which hotel you are staying at you get to see exciting people. The Dalai Lama is a regular guest at the Windsor Sheraton and the Leela Palace.

Best South Indian restaurant in town is Dakshin which is in the Windsor Sheraton. Also there is a great outdoor restaurant at the Taj Residency in Residency Road. There is a decent Thai/Indian next door to the 13th Floor, eat on the balcony for great views of the city.

Have a great time - it is an excellent and exciting place. Oh, and if you play golf get out to Eagleton it is fabulous.

Rannoch
Old 22 June 2006, 09:51 AM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Rannoch
The driver will be available to you from whatever time you specify in the morning until you send him home. He only gets paid if you use him. If he drives you to work he will wait there until you come home.
Completely threw me the first time that happened to me, walking around outside the office in Chennai at lunch time to find me driver. I assumed he worked like a normal Taxi.

I've used the motorised rickshaws in Delhi and although cheap they don't always feel that safe. Personally I'd try to get the company your visiting to sort it out or go for the car and driver route.

Don't under any circumstance (assuming Bangalore is similar to Chennai) attempt to drive yourself.

Have a good one, it's an interesting place.

Alec
Old 22 June 2006, 10:18 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Bangalore has more traffic than Chennai although the roads are (very slightly) better!!

The rickshaws in central Bangalore are pretty safe and once you have used them a few times you get to enjoy the ride. At least with the rickshaw you can never go that fast unlike some of the lunacy you will experience in the car!!

Going to work though it will be expected that you will use a car. We only used Rickshaws for time out in the evening.

Crime is VERY low in India and Bangalore although packed is a safe place to be. Although many people are poor it is not like other places where they will do anything to try and get your money - it is mostly live and let live.

The biggest scam you are likely to encounter are teenage girls at major intersections with little babies. Thet get impregnated by 'pimps' who then send them out to beg. If you want to give them something then take food - don't give them money.

Also be aware that in Bangalore there is a huge charitable foundation that makes sure that ANYONE who wants or needs food will be fed. If you want a meal you can collect yellow meal tickets that can be exchanched for food - so begging is not the same as it is here.

It is interesting and an assault on the senses. Enjoy!!

Rannoch
Old 22 June 2006, 10:52 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you happen to be visiting Accenture there, please ask them not to call me at 5am!
Old 22 June 2006, 10:55 AM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for your replies! I have asked my contact in India to book me a car and driver. I was given this option but I thought that would be expensive. But then I should have realised that most things in India are cheap.

I'm staying in the Park Hotel which looks by far the most luxurious hotel I have stayed in on business. I intend to make full use of the facilites. I shall certainly be heading out in Bangalore in the evening - I might even catch World Cup games in bars - something to talk about at least!

I travelled to Sri lanka last year and encountered the most friendly people I have ever met. Then I travelled to Saudi and met the most unfriendly people I have ever met. Anywhere in between would be just fine!

Last edited by Ravster; 22 June 2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 22 June 2006, 11:53 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

From what I remember I don't think I have seen TVs in bars. And if there are in the hotel they will be tuned to cricket
Old 22 June 2006, 12:33 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

If you are tempted to go sightseeing outside of the main city, good luck to you. Traveling by road is like a scene out of Mad Max. They seem to make vehicles out of abandoned junk they find at the side of the road. The most amazing was a lorry chassis without a cab. Just a big engine on wheels. The driver was sitting on what appeared to be a bar stool. Hanging off the front bumper was teenage lad catching water that was leaking from the radiator. He was then passing the water (captured in a can) up to another lad who was sitting on top of the engine, who in turn was pouring the water back into the engine. I kid you not !!! Saw some horrific RTAs too. Not nice - quite disturbing in fact.
Old 22 June 2006, 03:03 PM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
From what I remember I don't think I have seen TVs in bars. And if there are in the hotel they will be tuned to cricket
No! I will be there for the semi-finals! Must watch Football ...
Old 22 June 2006, 08:16 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Went there and hated it. Used to be a lovely place 15 years ago, but it's gone very expensive and too busy thanks to foreign companies going there for business.

We stayed at the Oberoi hotel and it is lovely, but it is very very expensive £225 a night!!

Good luck
Old 22 June 2006, 10:33 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

H Guys - being of Indian origin myself and having travelled recently couldn't recommend highly enough the roadside cafe's - I know they may not look like much but in my experience that is a more true taste of India than you'll ever get in those fancy restaurants. It's a whole new experience, just drink mineral water tho else you'll be on the sh*tter for days
Old 22 June 2006, 11:20 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by RAJ27
Used to be a lovely place 15 years ago

...he wants a car, not time machine
Old 22 June 2006, 11:24 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Completely off-topic (about transport) but you can go and see some amazing animals (Tigers etc..) if you take a trip outside of Bangalore.

Steve
Old 23 June 2006, 07:58 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There are game reserves - and there is one with tigers south of Bangalore.

It is very unlikely you will see one - although we arranged a client trip and he saw a tiger on the first morning. This was a first for these trips.

When I went up country to go mahseer fishing on the River Kauvery we saw fresh droppings from wild elephants every morning but never saw the elephants.

If you stay at the Oberoi and you leave the door open on the balcony you will get to see monkeys as they tear apart your room

If you want to see them really quickly just put some bananas out on the balcony too
Old 23 June 2006, 09:07 AM
Ravster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Seen much wildlife on my travels but NEVER seen a wild big cat.
One day, maybe. *sigh*

Seen wild elephants very close up in South Africa - scary big buggers they are!