Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holidaying in Dubai..

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2006, 10:55 AM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holidaying in Dubai..

Thinking of going to Dubai, many people have said to me its not somewhere you would go for two weeks, thats to long apparently!? Anyone suggest how to break up a trip to Dubai, any places around Dubai worth seeing? Would be looking to go for two weeks.

Thanks,

Carla..
Old 21 June 2006, 11:36 AM
dubnut71
Scooby Regular

I have been there earlier this year with my g/f for a week but don't think 2 weeks is too long at all!!!

There is as much to do there as in the carribean or anywhere, you can go diving, sailing, shopping, snowboarding (yes really), dune bashing, pretty much anything really.

Beaches are clean and sea is clear, restraunts are fantastic and you can go around the principality of Dubai and even hop over to abhu dhabi if you fancy.

Would strongly recommend it!!!

GC
Old 21 June 2006, 12:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dubnut71
I have been there earlier this year with my g/f for a week but don't think 2 weeks is too long at all!!!

There is as much to do there as in the carribean or anywhere, you can go diving, sailing, shopping, snowboarding (yes really), dune bashing, pretty much anything really.

Beaches are clean and sea is clear, restraunts are fantastic and you can go around the principality of Dubai and even hop over to abhu dhabi if you fancy.

Would strongly recommend it!!!

GC
Not sure what you want to get out of your holiday but if you like sun sea and sand then Dubai is great,if it is shopping and exploring then it is also pretty good. Dubai has a lot of other things to offer as well, brilliant shopping in some of the biggest and best malls along with smaller gold souks and markets.
It has the usual dune bashing and water parks althought they are bigger and beter than most. there is quad biking and bike hire althought i would not venrure out on the roads.
It has great watersports, diving waterskiing jet skiing, kitesailing etc.

Golf clubs, riding etc.

Has the horse and camel racing tracks which are superb

Indoor snow location called ski dubai - http://www.skidxb.com/facts_eng.htm?mid=1&sid=2

It has some history - museums and great parks but not that many really.

Great restraunts and eating out is cheaper than the UK and usually better.

I recon it has a lot more than many other locations. On top of that there is little begging or crime or people pestering you. It is child friendly a has lots for kids to do
It is quite liberal in its aproach to westeners and their quirks.

Suggest you do not come in July/Aug as it is fecking hot - 55+ degrees hot!

i
Old 21 June 2006, 12:34 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Sounds like there's loads to do!! What time of year would you say is the best to go out there and can anyone suggest anywhere to stay?

Carla..
Old 21 June 2006, 12:54 PM
petey
Scooby Regular

reckon you should stay in that pimp sail hotel thingy with the fleet of white rolls royce'slol
Old 21 June 2006, 01:10 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petey
reckon you should stay in that pimp sail hotel thingy with the fleet of white rolls royce'slol
Wishful thinking!!

looked at prices for that place and its so expensive!!

Carla..
Old 21 June 2006, 01:15 PM
Rice Rocket..
Scooby Regular

going back in sept for my 10th time and I still havent done everything!

So much to do and so much has changed since the last time i was there.
You have the Wild Wadis water park, wadi bashing, sking, quad biking etc you have it all to do!
Eating out, what ever you want you can get pizza hut KFC aswel!

Go for ot and enjoy!

Rice Rocket

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2006, 01:18 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

Suggest you do not come in July/Aug as it is fecking hot - 55+ degrees hot!

Have you turned the traditional British lobster colour yet?
Old 21 June 2006, 02:25 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

You probably don't want to go at this time of the year, baking hot now. Probably 45+ and very humid.
Old 21 June 2006, 02:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss*scoobygav555*
Wishful thinking!!

looked at prices for that place and its so expensive!!

Carla..
Do a search for accoms, The Burj (looks like a sail) is expensive., also along Jumeirah beach are the Madiant and the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, all very good.

I would not worry to much about staying right on the beach. Taxis are cheap.

I cannot recommend a hotel as i have not stayed in that many here.

If you do come in July/Aug then the deals are to be had as long as you can stand the heat!

Freak, i do not really go red, just brown
Old 21 June 2006, 02:46 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Do a search for accoms, The Burj (looks like a sail) is expensive., also along Jumeirah beach are the Madiant and the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, all very good.

I would not worry to much about staying right on the beach. Taxis are cheap.

I cannot recommend a hotel as i have not stayed in that many here.

If you do come in July/Aug then the deals are to be had as long as you can stand the heat!

Freak, i do not really go red, just brown
Thats really helpful thanks..

I've always said if I'm going to go I'm going to do it properly and not skimp out on accommodation but £7000 for 5 nights at that one that looks like a sail, not sure what its called but the 7* one!? I'd be broke staying there for 2 weeks!!

Carla..
Old 21 June 2006, 02:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by miss*scoobygav555*
Thats really helpful thanks..

I've always said if I'm going to go I'm going to do it properly and not skimp out on accommodation but £7000 for 5 nights at that one that looks like a sail, not sure what its called but the 7* one!? I'd be broke staying there for 2 weeks!!

Carla..
Yep, the Burj Al Arab is the really expensive 7* one!
I have been in it but never stayed there. Rumour has it it was bult as a casio as it is classed as ofshore but there where worries about naught chaps loosing their shirts and the families oil wells

Try kelkoo for some deals on accomms. All hotels i have seen are of a good standard. needless to say the further out you are the cheaper they are.

http://www.madinatjumeirah.com/
is very nice!
Old 21 June 2006, 03:03 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Ref where to stay, just do a little research as so much buidling work is going on you could end up on or close to a vuilding site. I like the Royal Meridian but it is now surrounded by tower blocks being bult. Jumeirah Beach Hotel is still ok and has private access to the wild wadi water park, if that appeals.

Most hotels are very good though - and not that expensive (except Burj of course).

I would go Oct-Apr - otherwise can be too hot - May can be 40 deg c !!

Also dont rule out Oman - there is a great new resort run by Shangri-La group (AL Jissah) that is worth considering.
Old 21 June 2006, 03:04 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

'Sail' hotel is the Burj Al Arab.

I stayed in Le Royal Meridien on Jumeirah Beach, highly recommend it but again not cheap ... if you're staying at any (Jumeirah) Beachfront hotel make sure you get a sea view room!!

Bradders

PS. Would've loved to have stayed for 2 weeks!!
Old 21 June 2006, 03:18 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, been very useful, just need to decide when now, the b/f doesn't like it too hot!?

Carla..
Old 21 June 2006, 03:36 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Just returned from Dubai in May.
Don't worry about the weather being too hot unless you're just planning on walking around outside all day.
Taxis, shopping malls, restaurants, hotels and everything inside all have air conditioning. Obviously the beaches and water parks aren't but then you've got the water to keep you cool.
You need to look in here for hotels from bloody cheap to bloody expensive.
http://www.octopustravel.com/Home.js...ofnD:10b4srkej
Look through the excursions available and pick whichever take your fancy to break up your stay. We picked an excursion for every other day and went to beaches, the Wild Wadi waterpark (next to the Burj al Arab hotel), malls, skiing, quad biking, creek park on the days we didn't have anything booked.
Try Dune bashing in 4wds (though not if you're likely to be travel sick), the catamaran cruise (ditto but sea sick), and the trip to the Dreamland aquapark (middle of the desert) for starters.
Dubai's an amazing place and you'll want to go back again and again. We did.
Everything is cheap to buy. 3 course Indian meal for two in a restaurant with 3 drinks each and our own Waiter standing by all for £11.00. Gold and silver etc in the Gold Souk (market) dirt cheap if you really bargain hard. Girly sparkly sandals £3.00.Make sure you take a trip on an Abra water taxi across the creek that costs the equivalent of 10 pence.
You'll find yourself haggling over Dirhams and then realise you're only talking pennies. Even if you pay their starting prices you'll be getting a bargain.
You'll have no trouble in any way whatsoever but if you go out at night specifically on a Friday (immigrant labour's day off) be prepared to find hundreds of gawping men looking at your lovely lady lumps like they've never ever seen a pair before. One of my daughter's quite well developed for a 15 year old and i reckon she should change her passport photo to be recognised if you see what i mean. Probably best to dress more conservatively on that one night out, unless you like the intimidating attention.
That's all it is though. No suggestion of anything untoward happening.
Don't stay at the Seashell Hotel or The Eureka Hotel. I have before and won't again. Billed as "Luxury" but nowhere near.
You'll enjoy yourself whatever.
Have fun and be prepared to want to go again.
Old 21 June 2006, 04:36 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Yep, the Burj Al Arab is the really expensive 7* one!
I have been in it but never stayed there. Rumour has it it was bult as a casio as it is classed as ofshore but there where worries about naught chaps loosing their shirts and the families oil wells

Try kelkoo for some deals on accomms. All hotels i have seen are of a good standard. needless to say the further out you are the cheaper they are.

http://www.madinatjumeirah.com/
is very nice!
Just had a look at the Jumeirah hotel, it looks absolutely fab!!.. Prices aren't too bad either, not gonna say its cheap but its not as expensive as it looks, if that makes sense!?..

Carla..
Old 21 June 2006, 04:41 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

When the burj al arab was being built, we were the main manufacturers of their leather goods - menu covers, room folders etc. And to say that they went all out would be an understatement. My sister managed to go out there to meet with them and she was suitably impressed at the extravagance of it all.

From what she tells me it is a fantastic place, with their underwater restaurant and the gold leaf up most of the pillars and walls - basically if you see a gold colour anywhere its gold
Old 21 June 2006, 04:52 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I would love to stay there it looks amazing, i just couldn't part with £7000 for 5 nights accommodation though!!.. Unless I was mega rich and money wasn't a problem!!..

Carla..
Old 21 June 2006, 05:11 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It's totally over-rated and kitsch. There is no such thing as a 7* hotel, it is just marketing fluff and it seems to have fooled a lot of people. The official ratings only go up to 5 stars.

It certainly doesn't feature anywhere near the top of any travellers favourites (and we are talking Conde Naste, Travel & Leisure magazine etc) who are very discerning. And on Tripadvisor it comes in at 17th in Dubai.

Throwing money and being ostentatious has never bought class or good service.
Old 21 June 2006, 09:17 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

got a flat tyre or any other car problem call the police they are only to happy to help and yes they will change tyre for you for nothing there bored see no crime mmmmmmmmm
Old 21 June 2006, 09:49 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I'll bare that in mind thanks shooter007!..

Carla..
Old 22 June 2006, 12:40 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

When choosing a hotel you really have to decide what aspect of your holiday you want to major out on.

Most of the city hotels have an arrangement with a beach club ooperator where you can go to the beach, and often run a shuttle bus of some sort.

We stayed in the Shangri La on Sheil Zayed Road year before last, fantastic hotel and central. It has an arrangement with Jebel Ali beach club, but thats a long way and a fair old taxi ride away.

Lat year we cheated and stayed with my brother, but my parents stayed in a hotel on Sheik Zayed road which had arangements with a different beach club.

In fact on reflection the beach club my brother belongs to is central, has lovely looking chalets to stay in and is called the Jumeirah Beach Club. Never stayed there though!

I suggest looking for a few deals then coming back to ask for opinions on hotles, what building work is going on round them etc.
Old 22 June 2006, 04:52 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I had a look at the Jumeirah beach hotel as said above and it looks fab, I love being near a beach too so I think I'm already sold on this hotel!! Gonna go to the travel agents as soon as the b/f comes home on saturday..

Thanks for everyones help, its been really useful!!..

Carla..
Old 22 June 2006, 05:22 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Carla, we are booked into the Jumeriah Beach in late August.
We were warned about impending refurbishment work at the time and have since had conformation from the agent. It looks like a couple of the restaurants are undergoing some work, were not too bothered as there are plenty of others to choose from.

We had friends stay there a few weeks back, they confirmed it’s a stunning hotel you won’t be disappointed.

Just thought I would warn you

Allan
Old 22 June 2006, 08:11 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but Dubai is boring. Its for people who just want sun and shopping malls. Its like a a Benidorm for the more affluent(or wannabes). There is no real culture, history, flora or fauna. I was there for about 4 days this year as a stop over. Clean, safe, good food etc but never felt I was experiencing much. I stayed at Le Royal Meridian which was a great hotel but so what?

I could never see myself going back again, unless desperate for sunshine in winter at a good price.

As for all the things to do, if themed water parks and inside artificial ski slopes are your idea of discovering the world then maybe its fine. Imho there are real ski slopes and coral reefs and jungles out there to see, why waste your time on plastic versions?
Old 22 June 2006, 10:42 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
I'm sorry but Dubai is boring. Its for people who just want sun and shopping malls. Its like a a Benidorm for the more affluent(or wannabes). There is no real culture, history, flora or fauna. I was there for about 4 days this year as a stop over. Clean, safe, good food etc but never felt I was experiencing much. I stayed at Le Royal Meridian which was a great hotel but so what?

I could never see myself going back again, unless desperate for sunshine in winter at a good price.

As for all the things to do, if themed water parks and inside artificial ski slopes are your idea of discovering the world then maybe its fine. Imho there are real ski slopes and coral reefs and jungles out there to see, why waste your time on plastic versions?
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it there but i've heard nothing but good things about the place. Don't think we would be doing any skiing over there but will be doing some excursions, think I'd spend most of my time on the beach and the b/f on the golf course!!.. Will definately be going just wanted to hear what other people had to say about the place and was two weeks there too long..

Sounds like there's plenty to do to keep us busy though!

Carla..
Old 22 June 2006, 11:06 PM
micky boy
Scooby Regular

Default dubai

was just reading some of the things said about dubai and is all good as far as i can see i have only been once and my girlfriend has been twice, we are going back in october as it is a bit cooler then and i do mean only a bit. i was there this time last year and was excellent but due to a baby coming along we have to go a bit later in the year now. CANT WAIT and the service you get over there is outstanding, definetley worth a visit and two weeks is not long enough if you ask me,,,,,,