Top of the Pops is finally axed

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2006, 07:18 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top of the Pops is finally axed

RIP

Who said todays pop music isn't rubbish..?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5099894.stm
Old 20 June 2006, 07:23 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Haven't watched for years.

I remember they used to broadcast the audio on radio 1 too. Top of the pops in Stereo!....well it seemed novel before Nicam came along
Old 20 June 2006, 07:30 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Bring back pans people
Old 20 June 2006, 07:32 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby
Bring back pans people
saw them at the old ATV studios on Broad Street in Brum years ago.. a lads dream...
Old 20 June 2006, 09:00 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Never been the same since Noel Edmonds and Mike Read gave up
Old 20 June 2006, 11:12 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Thank God. It's been a twitching corpse for years, I'm pleased someone had the kindness to smash a rock over its head.
Old 20 June 2006, 11:46 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I remember it in the 80s. Bit of something for everyone then. Bit of cure for me, madonna for me bro, cheesy girly crap for sis, some old crooner for mum and tracy ulman for me dad (don't ask ). Anyway, the point is, it tried to a bit of everything. Now it's all R&B mundane crap followed by some girl/boy band mundane crap followed by R&B mundane crap followed by some girl/boy band mundane crap followed by R&B mundane crap followed by some girl/boy band mundane crap followed by R&B mundane crap and so on, maybe a token 'guitar' band from time to time. Singles sales have fallen for many years.

Congrats Pete Waterman, Simon Cowell types, you've killed the pop charts with your repetitive and unimaginative musical efforts.
Old 20 June 2006, 11:58 PM
Sexy Scots Lass
Scooby Regular

I can remember back to the mid seventies when I first starting watching it as a young girl and the great excitement it brought once a week (sad I know). I only got to watch it however if my dad was out, he hated it That excitement lasted until the mid to late eighties when either my interest in it waned as I got older or the music just got worse ? Who knows, but one thing for certain I won't miss it now. TOTP2 however is worth watching when it's on
Old 21 June 2006, 12:22 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Congrats Pete Waterman, Simon Cowell types, you've killed the pop charts with your repetitive and unimaginative musical efforts.
Amusing - first thing that sprang to mind just reading the thread title before opening. Sad really.
Old 21 June 2006, 12:39 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

That crap should have been axed 20 yrs ago
Old 21 June 2006, 12:57 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It started in the 60's with what's-his-face, the very talented producer with the child fetish, can't remember his name and don't care. He made a bet about getting so many bands in the top 40 at once or something along those lines, I'm sure someone will correct my vaguely recollected info.
Old 21 June 2006, 01:04 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevencotton
It started in the 60's with what's-his-face, the very talented producer with the child fetish, can't remember his name and don't care. He made a bet about getting so many bands in the top 40 at once or something along those lines, I'm sure someone will correct my vaguely recollected info.
You mean Jonothan King?......."Everyones gone to the moon", personally I wish he had ...
Old 21 June 2006, 09:41 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
I remember it in the 80s. Bit of something for everyone then. Bit of cure for me, madonna for me bro, cheesy girly crap for sis, some old crooner for mum and tracy ulman for me dad (don't ask ). Anyway, the point is, it tried to a bit of everything. Now it's all R&B mundane crap followed by some girl/boy band mundane crap followed by R&B mundane crap followed by some girl/boy band mundane crap followed by R&B mundane crap followed by some girl/boy band mundane crap followed by R&B mundane crap and so on, maybe a token 'guitar' band from time to time. Singles sales have fallen for many years.

My thoughts exactly drac, at the end of the day it mirrors the charts which is full of vastly over-rated black r&b acts and dodgy pop acts and hey yes Im getting old so perhaps dont appreciate it but it has been lame for years.

Gary
Old 21 June 2006, 09:59 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

It will now be replaced by even more mindless reality drivel
Old 21 June 2006, 11:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Modern pop music is not in the same league as it used to be, not surprising it has gone. I quite enjoy sounds of the sixties and seventies now wjhen they show it on BBC4.

Les
Old 21 June 2006, 11:04 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Modern pop music is not in the same league as it used to be, not surprising it has gone. I quite enjoy sounds of the sixties and seventies now wjhen they show it on BBC4.

Les
Your starting to sound like your parents
Old 21 June 2006, 01:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Thank God. It's been a twitching corpse for years, I'm pleased someone had the kindness to smash a rock over its head.
LOL Sensitively put!

I bet your application to work for the Samaritans never got a reply!!!

Ns04

PS You're right though!
Old 21 June 2006, 01:49 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Thursday nights during the late 70's/ early 80's IIRC. Ahhh - the good old days - the top 40 was announced on Gary Davies Radio 1 lunctime show - he'd count down the top 5 from 12:45pm (after Newsbeat) through to 1pm and then spend the rest of the show doing the rest of the chart.

Friday mornings we were all talking about Duran Duran/ Bananarama/ Madonna/ Wham's performance - and <about to confess something really embarrasing> on occasion trying to recreate the dance routines!

It all started to go down hill when Pans People left! Although the rot really set in after Legs & Co bit the dust!

And Christmas just wasn't Christmas without the Chrissy TOTP! I've still got an old one from circa 1983 on video!
Old 21 June 2006, 02:20 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Sign of the times, for sure. But it's got nothing to do with the music - it's the vast choice of new media these days. Hundreds of radio stations, TV channels, internet etc etc. Same thing that killed Smash Hits magazine just a few weeks ago, and that used to sell over a million copies an issue.

Richard.
Old 21 June 2006, 06:09 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
LOL Sensitively put!

I bet your application to work for the Samaritans never got a reply!!!

Ns04

PS You're right though!
Apparently "Get over it" isn't the cure for depression
Old 22 June 2006, 02:08 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Even when I was a teenager, TOTP was crap, apart from the occasionally good song (I remember when The Prodigy's Charley turned up on there)

It seems 49% of the music is aimed at 12-15yr old girls, 49% is aimed at 15-18yr old lads and the other 1% is worth listening too.

(Yes I know that there is 1% missing, that's the effects of rounding for you)
Old 22 June 2006, 09:58 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Apparently "Get over it" isn't the cure for depression
Yep 'Fraid so! Teling em, "Well, now may not be the best time to tell you this, but I just run over your dog. Sorry!"

Also does them no favours!!

Ns04
Old 22 June 2006, 11:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You may well be right Granby, but what I said was right too.

Les
Old 22 June 2006, 05:09 PM
N1gel 1970
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by stevencotton
It started in the 60's with what's-his-face, the very talented producer with the child fetish, can't remember his name and don't care.
Jimmy Saville*??????

* Disclaimer: Just kidding, he's never been arrested or convicted of any offence
Old 22 June 2006, 06:54 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

It was great when bands took the **** out of it. Found a list of them on the net. Seen a couple my self, the Nirvana one was great

* While performing their 1982 hit "Jackie Wilson Said" the band Dexys Midnight Runners were seen performing in front of a projection of the darts player Jocky Wilson. This was a deliberate joke by the band and the production staff, but many people (including, apparently, host David Jensen) didn't realise this and thought it was a genuine mistake. Despite this, to this day, many TV nostalgia shows and other sources still claim this was an error. [citation needed]

* When Oasis performed "Whatever" for Top of the Pops in 1994 they mimed and one of the cello players from the symphony was replaced by rhythm guitarist Bonehead, who clearly had no idea how the instrument is supposed to be played. Towards the end of the song, he gave up the pretense and started using the bow to conduct. A woman plays his rhythm guitar.[1]

* In 1995 Oasis played their single "Roll With It" featuring singer Liam Gallagher pretending to play guitar, while guitarist Noel Gallagher pretended to sing, just to show how fake the 'live' performance was. It also mocked the habit people had in Oasis' early years of confusing the brothers, not being able to tell them apart.

* For the 1984 Christmas Day edition all of the performers from Band Aid had been booked to appear apart from Bono. The performance of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" witnessed the unlikely scene of Paul Weller lip-syncing to Bono's vocals.

* In a 2005 performance of "Lyla", Liam Gallagher made no secret of the fact that he was miming his lyrics by walking away from the microphone and chewing gum when he was supposed to be singing.

* Faith No More lead singer Mike Patton also showed he was obviously miming a performance by sticking his tongue out of the side of his mouth during closeup shots.

* In Nirvana's only performance on Top of the Pops, frontman Kurt Cobain "played" his guitar with his fingers inches away from the frets, drummer Dave Grohl danced around in his seat for most of the performance, and bassist Krist Novoselic waved his instrument around his head. For this performance Cobain was trusted to sing live vocals to a pre-recorded backing track: instead, he sang in a low, mournful wail; he was later to claim this was his attempt to sound like Morrissey.

* Singer Les Gray of Mud went on stage to perform with a ventriloquist dummy during the performance of Lonely this Christmas and had the dummy lip-synch to the voice-over in the middle of the song.

* Fish, the face painted lead singer of 1980s prog rockers Marillion, made sure that the cameras caught a close up of his firmly closed mouth during a particular section of their single "Garden Party". The lyric he did not mime to was "I'm miming", not least because the original lyric was "I'm ****ing", toned down at record company insistence for the single release.

* The Wonder Stuff appeared on the show with one of the guitarists strumming along while wearing boxing gloves.
Old 22 June 2006, 06:58 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm Pans people. Those were the days
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/...ns_people3.jpg