Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

advice on going to Rome

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 09:20 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on going to Rome

I'm looking to take the missus to Rome for her birthday in July. ANyone got any recommendation with Hotels, things to do/see, eating places etc.

Oh and is Ciampino airport anywhere near Rome, or is it a long taxi/train. is there a closer airport ?

Cheers
Old 19 June 2006, 09:48 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
advice on going to Rome
Do as the Romans do.....

Old 19 June 2006, 10:32 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If you do a search you may find something as this topic has been covered 2 or 3 times in the past
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/search.php?searchid=938461
Old 19 June 2006, 10:33 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

When in Rome....
Old 19 June 2006, 11:21 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
I'm looking to take the missus to Rome for her birthday in July. ANyone got any recommendation with Hotels, things to do/see, eating places etc.

Oh and is Ciampino airport anywhere near Rome, or is it a long taxi/train. is there a closer airport ?

Cheers
Hi Molko

we stayed in the Luxor a couple of years ago http://www.luxorhotelrome.com/en/index.htm

Cheap rates, very clean, and central location. Good breakfast and we eat out every night. Great city!

andy
Old 20 June 2006, 09:00 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

There a lot of tourist spots that are all worth seeing but plan your way round them carefully otherwise you could spend the entire weekend in taxis (which are expensive) or walking miles. Either way you will need to walk a long way to see everything in 3/4 days.

The spanish steps is a great area to aim for in the evenings for nice restaurants and bars. Also try the old town there are some nice Piattza's (sp?) with tradition eateries & bars.

The must do's in my opinion are the colloseum, vatican & sistine chapel (cues can be long but well worth the wait) there is so much else too but you must not miss these.

I stayed a bit outside of the main city and it wasn't a great hotel so can't help you on that front.

hth's

chop
Old 20 June 2006, 09:08 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Me and my wife went this year, we stayed in a hotal called the solis I think, only a 5 min walf from the collisieum and walking distance to most other places. We saw 10 sights in 3 days and the only place we had to get a metro to was the sistine chapel.
Old 20 June 2006, 09:25 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I was in Rome in March this year, we stayed at the Franklin Hotel which is about 10mins walk from Vatican and 5mins from Metro. Its a very modern hotel with a muscial theme. We had flat screen TV and B&O stereo in room which was very nice.

We got train from Airport direct to Termini station (takes 40mins non stop) and then metro. Very easy to find your way round - metro has two lines A and B and is 1 Euro per 75mins of travel.

We had 4 days in total and got to see most of the attractions and sample most of the ice cream!!
Old 20 June 2006, 01:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ciampino airport doesn't have a direct link, rail, or otherwise.

What we did was followed the guide book: Bus from just outside the airport to Anagnina metro station, costs €1 per passenger, plus MAYBE €1 extra for large luggage.

Then metro line A, in to the city centre, a further €1 each, easy once you've worked out the auto ticket machines.

We stayed near to the Trevi fountain, (if you want pics, try early morning, later, it's too crowded to get one. Ditto Spanish steps.

If you have a day spare, or like Roman ruins, a good outing is to Ostia Antica, the old Roman port at the mouth of the Tiber. Absolutley stunning.
Cost €1 each on the train from Piramide metro station, takes about 30 minutes to Ostia, free entry on sundays, otherwise about €8 each. Nice cafe for drinks and meals there too.

To get into the Basilica san Pietro, go around lunch time, or be prepared to queue for ages. Getting there early is even worse
Alternativley, find a guide, (worth it anyway for the extra info), and take a guided tour. They'll do the Sistine chapel, vatican museum, and you end up INSIDE the entry to the Basilica. Cost us €25 each for a FOUR HOUR tour, incredible, the guy was SO knowledgeable. If you stand around in St Peter's Square, a tout will find you for a guide. Ours was called mark, an American born in Germany, tall guy with glasses, around 30. If you're lucky, you'll get him for a guide. He even showed us where to eat well, cheaply, afterwards!

Alcazar
Old 20 June 2006, 01:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh, and I can recommend the AA/Citypack: Rome, available from Smiths at £6.99, good maps, good info, tube map etc etc Easily carried as it's pocket sized.

Alcazar
Old 20 June 2006, 02:22 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

stay at the Rapheal, expensive but great position just off Piazza Navona. Roof top bar & resteraunt.........can see Vatican one way Colissuem the other.

http://www.raphaelhotel.com/eng.html

Don't bother with public transport to/from airport get a limo, I used these guys http://www.romelimousines.com/. When I went in 2003 it was about €100 return.

lots to see, just take your walking shoes, very hot this time of year.

would go again.

Last edited by 3times; 20 June 2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 20 June 2006, 03:17 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Dont wanna put a downer on things, but be careful in Rome - It's prone to muggings

Mark
Old 20 June 2006, 04:18 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I was planning to myself.

If you have an Ottakas (sp) bookshop near you there's a Rome guide book on special price at the moment that has a four day guide set out in the first few pages that seemed to give a good coverage of the city for a short break.
I'm not sure of the title but it was selling for about a tenner.

You may find these websites useful
http://flightchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=165723

The Hotels comparison website is very good.

Regards
Old 22 June 2006, 07:18 AM
dogboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMA26
Dont wanna put a downer on things, but be careful in Rome - It's prone to muggings

Mark

Is there a city that doesnt have this problem??

As for Rome , its beutifull, and you will have a great time where ever you go...definately the most romatic place i have ever seen. My sister has lived there for 15 years and is getting married there this year.

DOg.
Old 22 June 2006, 11:50 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Rome is fantastic

We stayed at the Claridge Hotel and it was spot on, very modern and clean.
Old 23 June 2006, 10:28 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dogboy1
Is there a city that doesnt have this problem??

As for Rome , its beutifull, and you will have a great time where ever you go...definately the most romatic place i have ever seen. My sister has lived there for 15 years and is getting married there this year.

DOg.
Well no, however I encountered a few problems there (Nothing i couldn't handle, being of a certain build does have its advantages!)