Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Carrera mountain bikes

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2006, 10:32 AM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera mountain bikes

Anyone got any opinions on the Carrera range of mountain bikes that Halfords sell? I'm looking to return to mountain biking after a few years away, and quite fancy a bike they do called a Banshee.
Old 17 June 2006, 11:14 AM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

I have a Banshee it's a tidy bike and have had it a about 3 years nothing fallen off or broke yet hope it helps.

Dad has the top of the range one and he loves his.
Old 17 June 2006, 11:23 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I got a carrera too. Seems pretty solid!!
Old 17 June 2006, 01:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Had one Loved it. It got nicked Got it back Insurance had already paid up . Got one with a titanium frame now

Carreras are good value for money, and if owt does go wrong, Halfords will put it right.

Alcazar
Old 17 June 2006, 02:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Just don't take it off road.
Old 17 June 2006, 04:09 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

They must be good bikes, my boys have had 4 Carrera Kracken's mainly cos some w@nkers nicked them so we had the insurance replace them, but he still have one left and its still going strong
Old 17 June 2006, 04:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Just don't take it off road.
Mine went off road in France, and was fine.
Unfortunately, the second year I had it, that's where it was nicked from a campsite

Alcazar

Trending Topics

Old 17 June 2006, 04:36 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

A few months ago I bought a full-suss mountain bike from here, in Derham (Norfolk).

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/product...ull_Suspension

They appear to be the cheapest on the net and have thousands of bikes. Best buys are last year's models which can be 50% off. I got a Giant NRS1 2005 for £850 Halford's bikes just seem very expensive spec for spec.

Derham is quite near me so picked it up myself. Drop out the front wheel and it fits on the back seat of the Scoob Well pleased - all the trick bits and soooo much better than my 12-year-old full-susser.

Best regards

Richard.

Last edited by Hoppy; 17 June 2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 17 June 2006, 04:58 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Carrera now too. It was my brothers and he's had it years and it's still perfect He used to regularly ride it to work and back every day (10 mile round trip) so it's not like it's not been used.
Old 17 June 2006, 06:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Kracken, not the best in the world but it does me, one thing I did do was replace heinous Tektro Cable disk brakes with Hope Mono Minis. The frame is meant to be really good for the money, the front suspension is a bit squishy and the gear are fairly knackered but its all easily upgradeable, its not light but neither am I, bought it nearly new second hand for 150 quid, clueless lad who had it was selling it cos he didnt know/couldnt be arsed to fix a puncture, what is going wrong with todays youngsters ?
Old 18 June 2006, 09:35 AM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Bought myself the Banshee yesterday afternoon. Very impressed with it, but I think the cable disc brakes could be improved.
Old 18 June 2006, 10:00 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I've had a KrakenSE for a couple of years. It's fine for a bit of off road stuff as long as you don't intend to do mega downhilling. They even had decent write ups in MTB magazine.
Nothings broke or fallen off mine and it still looks as good as new.

Cheers
Lee
Old 18 June 2006, 04:35 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Probably nothing wrong with them, but I'd much rather go for a 'branded' bike that one of Halfords own...

PS I can't really be a bike snob as I have a Kona
Old 18 June 2006, 05:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SupaMiniCupa
Probably nothing wrong with them, but I'd much rather go for a 'branded' bike that one of Halfords own...

PS I can't really be a bike snob as I have a Kona
I'd disagree........with "branded" bikes, especially those from the USA, you're paying a massive premium for the name.

When I was building a lightweight cross country bile for my youngest, Kona, and other American frames were all £ for $ plus. The frame I was looking at was £700 in the UK and went for $500 in the USA I eventually sourced a "Guess" Scandium frame for him, weighs in at 1.15kg, and cost me £300. They are now available via e-bay for even less if you're lucky. Lovely ride too.

Halfords have enough buying power to get good rates on decent components, and their frames aren't bad either, given that 90%+ frames are far-eastern sourced now anyway.

Alcazar
Old 18 June 2006, 11:26 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Can I hijack this thread and ask what's the best budget mountain bike to get? I'm wanting to get fit, but need a mountain bike.

I was looking at spending £150 maximum, so was thinking about something second hand. Can anyone recommend me some makes/models?

Cheers

James
Old 19 June 2006, 12:07 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Did a bit of research on this a few weeks back and if you can go to £450 this is one of the best you can get - well recommended all round..

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/claud_butl...wrathdisc.html

Last edited by Bartop; 19 June 2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:25 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
Can I hijack this thread and ask what's the best budget mountain bike to get? I'm wanting to get fit, but need a mountain bike.

I was looking at spending £150 maximum, so was thinking about something second hand. Can anyone recommend me some makes/models?

Cheers

James
Whereabouts are you James ?
Old 19 June 2006, 08:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt

Cheers

James
Defo look second hand, for that money, you'll get a heavy, badly specced clunker, brand new, and you'll hate it.
Alcazar
Old 19 June 2006, 08:49 AM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

I used to work at Halfords in my student days and the best bet with regards to carrera is to wait until they have a decent sale on. TBH they are not that great value and as far as Halfords having good buying power the likes of Trek, specialized etc are the superpowers of the mtb world and often have some really well specced bikes in their ranges for very little money.

Pick up a copy of MBR, what mountain bike etc and take a look through the adverts for last years models.

Shops like Bonthrone Bikes, Leisure Lakes, Rutland cycling all are fairly well regarded shops.

Personally for anything below 750 pound i'd stick with a hardtail as opposed to full sus.

On-One bikes are also fairly good value and have got some good offers on at the moment.

HTH
Old 19 June 2006, 10:12 AM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Halfords are better than they used to be I think.

Still, if I had 200 odd quid to go on a bike I would look at the Revolution range from Edinburgh Cycles. Nice bikes - tried a Courier once and thought it was great for the money.

Ebay has some bargains if you can be arsed.
Old 19 June 2006, 10:35 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I have a cracking Carerra that I bought for £400 + some 10 years ago - still going strong, and thats with my largish frame having ridden it on and off road.

Never had any problems with it, good bike, good components. They are reportedly made by Saracen.

I'm now buying a new bike, and will be looking at the new GT Avalanche, Claud Butler Cape Wrath Disc as above, or my preference the Giant XTC SE - all at approx £400-500, though last years XTC should be around for a discount as well.
Old 19 June 2006, 11:50 AM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

As with anything, you get what you pay for. Find your budget range and try the bikes within that range, you'll be amazed how different bikes ride. Assess what your local terrain is like, are we talking large rocks, forest trails or cycle paths. Buy a bike that can cope with your intented use.
Cheap'ish alloy hardtails are very stiff and therefore under rocky conditions the backend will feel a bit lively(crap). This stiffness can be a issue if the bike is used for tough mtb'ing as the lack of compliance within the frame can cause stress fractures. Usually around the weld breather holes or the welds themselves. I've killed two e3 Oranges this way, many years ago.
Cheap full sussers are a bit of a 'no no' IMO as they are too heavy and 'bob' around like a bouncy castle, causing sea sickness and fatigue.
Higher end bikes have clever geometry and anti bob pro-pedal shocks to overcome this problem but this costs.
Old 19 June 2006, 10:19 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Originally Posted by Bartop
Whereabouts are you James ?
Hull - why?