Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Salary overpaid

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2006, 09:49 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salary overpaid

The missus worked part time 21 hours a week prior to birth of 2nd child. When she went back after 2nd child she went part time term time doing 20 hours. However this worked out at 16.5 average when you take into account school hols.

Mistakenly they paid her a return to work premium which she wasn't entitled to. They took ages to sort out the term time stuff, realised they hadn't paid her and sent her a new contract with the pro rated salary minus the uplift payment. So we saw a reduction in pay and everything seemed hunky dory.

She comes home today with a letter giving her a massive 2.4% increase and when I looked at the letter all was not well. i.e. new salary * 12 was a darn sight more than I thought she was on.

Just gone back through her payslips and have realised they never reduced her salary from 21 hours to 16.5 average :

Feckin hell, now she's going have to tell them and pay it back.

This is all down to the fact they have off shored HR and Payroll to a country that speaks no feckin English

Last edited by MattW; 05 June 2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05 June 2006, 10:41 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

**** - do you think they might try and blame it on her for not spotting the mistake sooner?* not that I am saying she should have done - that's HR's job!!

They might suggest coming to some arrangement whereby she only has to pay back a percentage of it... or they might just write it off seeing as it was their **** up
Old 05 June 2006, 11:07 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

If the mistake was by the employer (which it was), was of an amount which you reasonably may not have noticed and you have now spent the money, then IIRC you have a case for legally not paying the money back. I guess you really need some expert advice on the matter though...maybe a visit to your CAB?

Gary.
Old 05 June 2006, 11:22 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Hoping that'll be the case. 5 months at £150

Now her salary barely covers childcare costs so is it worthwhile

Last edited by MattW; 05 June 2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05 June 2006, 11:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GCollier
If the mistake was by the employer (which it was), was of an amount which you reasonably may not have noticed and you have now spent the money, then IIRC you have a case for legally not paying the money back. I guess you really need some expert advice on the matter though...maybe a visit to your CAB?

Gary.
I would be surprised if this was the case. In my last job there was a guy who was overpaid by around £6,500 per annum for three years. They told him he had to pay it back. The Union got involved but only to agree repayment terms rather than to defend him. He had to pay back £250 a month until he retired, although he ended up retiring early so got away with some of it.
Old 05 June 2006, 11:31 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
I would be surprised if this was the case. In my last job there was a guy who was overpaid by around £6,500 per annum for three years. They told him he had to pay it back. The Union got involved but only to agree repayment terms rather than to defend him. He had to pay back £250 a month until he retired, although he ended up retiring early so got away with some of it.
Exactly why I'm getting her to sort it.
Old 06 June 2006, 12:58 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend was over paid full salary for 3 months. We didn't notice as she was on sick leave and thought (we really should have checked) that she was on 6 months full pay. In fact it was 3 months. So we got a letter asking for it back.

As it turned out, she was retired off (at the age of 21) on medical grounds so they wrote it off in the end after a long winded legal process

Darren
Old 06 June 2006, 09:36 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

In your situation, I'd be tempted to *ahem* "not notice" the overpayment, and see if the company picks it up. However, I'd bear in mind that they may come back wanting it, so if I were you, I'd be putting the overpayment into a saving account each month so if nothing else, it will be earning you interest.

If they do come back about it, deny knowledge of it while you "investigate" it at your end, then tell them you'd not noticed, and ask if you can agree terms for repayment.

(BTW - Normally I'm all for being honest, but I guess working for a company which seems to be out to screw employees given half a chance makes you a bit cynical).

John.
Old 06 June 2006, 10:26 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
In your situation, I'd be tempted to *ahem* "not notice" the overpayment, and see if the company picks it up. However, I'd bear in mind that they may come back wanting it, so if I were you, I'd be putting the overpayment into a saving account each month so if nothing else, it will be earning you interest.

If they do come back about it, deny knowledge of it while you "investigate" it at your end, then tell them you'd not noticed, and ask if you can agree terms for repayment.

(BTW - Normally I'm all for being honest, but I guess working for a company which seems to be out to screw employees given half a chance makes you a bit cynical).

John.
I considered it as most people would, however she would take home £694 pm if I have calculated it correct. Childcare is £515 and parking is £102, leaving £77. Not exactly a great return, and bearing in mind the full time salary is over 22k pa can't see how people go back to work.
Old 06 June 2006, 10:41 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
I considered it as most people would, however she would take home £694 pm if I have calculated it correct. Childcare is £515 and parking is £102, leaving £77. Not exactly a great return, and bearing in mind the full time salary is over 22k pa can't see how people go back to work.
Yeah. You do have to wonder.

If she stopped work, would increased tax credits leave you actually better off? Might be worth looking into.

John.
Old 06 June 2006, 11:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I have also heard this thing about not having to pay it back if you could reasonably have not noticed, and it's their fault, I think it's fairly recent employment law.

CERTAINLY worth a phone call to CAB.

Alcazar
Old 06 June 2006, 11:37 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
Yeah. You do have to wonder.

If she stopped work, would increased tax credits leave you actually better off? Might be worth looking into.

John.
No, my income is too high, so makes no difference on that front. There are a couple of reasons for carrying on, pension payments, and the fact that eventually the youngest will be in school so will be worthwhile then.