Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling an accident damaged/repaired car?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2006, 07:45 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling an accident damaged/repaired car?

We were due to put our Forester up for sale for about £5500 when it got hit up the chuff by a 38 tonne artic. The car has now been repaired through the insurance company (bumper and rear bumper panel) and the it's in excellent condition otherwise (low miles for age, FSSH etc.) but I'm not sure whether the damage and subsequent repair will affect the value. I guess anyone doing an HPi check will find out it's had the bump so we're not interested in covering it up but at the same time I don't want to give it away.

Any ideas as to how to value it now?
Old 05 June 2006, 08:00 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

Chances are that it won't show up on HPI as its not been "written off" just had a minor accident repair like many thousands of cars currently on the road.

If you are asked by a potential buyer if its been in a accident, saying it's had a minor nudge in the rear resulting in a new rear bumper would cover your @rse without scaring them away.

All IMHO

Bob
Old 05 June 2006, 08:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

HPI records 'total loss' vehicles only; a vehicle damaged and repaired by the insurance company wont be recorded in any way and it will sell for market value.

Simon
Old 06 June 2006, 08:18 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Excellent, that makes me less depressed about the whole thing
Old 06 June 2006, 08:20 AM
bigmacandfries
Scooby Regular

yes it will be hpi clear no problem
Old 06 June 2006, 10:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You see, the repairer, under the insurer's/thatcham's instructions are supposed to repair any damage to an as new condition, or at least better than it was before the accident. For that reason, the industry (cough 2nd hand car dealers ) feels it is not nessercery to publically record any damage where the vehicle hasn't been written off. Although if you have knowledge of any damage, you "should" declare it honestly if you know of any, when asked.

It's a load of Crap IMO...a old shopping trolley car that is stolen recovered, with minor lock/steering column damage could be written off. Whilst a brand new 911 Turbo could be stuffed into a lampost at 30+mph severly damaging the chassis and be repaired without being recorded.

This is why you need a bodyshop expert to look over a proposed new purchase to confirm that it's not a patchwork quilt and any repairs are ok (a good repair isn't noticable) and won't degrade as it ages. Reason being is that the insurer's "approved" repairers, due to price constraints and time cutting causing rushed jobs are usually a load of rubbish, and not "as new or better than before". For this reason, any car needs to checked over carefully and this is also why I tell poeple to never used the insurer's approved repairers.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 June 2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06 June 2006, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

HPI does record damaged and repaired vehicles, it may only be if the original insurance company declined to repair it and it was mended by someone else however.

Les
Old 06 June 2006, 12:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've not examined the repair first hand yet as it failed it's QC check and they apparently need to fit a new fog lamp and rear wiper motor (despite these not being damaged in the accident )

If asked, I'll be honest and say it's had the bumper and panel replaced.