australia flights

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2006, 03:50 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default australia flights

Hey chaps,

Am thinking of going to visit friends in oz in December, dates are from around the 11th to 3rd of Jan.

Checked the usual flight sites, opodo, travelbag etc. and am getting quotes of about £1200 with quantus or BA.

Curious if anybody knows whether these prices will get cheaper or more expensive as time goes on, and is it advisable to book now??

Any one else know of any places to get there any cheaper? (I dont wanna fly with some cr@p airline tho!)
Old 01 June 2006, 04:29 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Log haul is normally cheaper the earlier you book, and flights encompassing Christmas will only go up.

BA/Qantas ( no u are good options.
Try also Singapore Airlines, daily 747's out of Heathrow
And Virgin Atlantic ( daily to Sydney, again out of Heathrow, also using 747's )

Good luck.
Old 01 June 2006, 04:43 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

They will get cheaper and there will definitely be specials later in the year.

But there is a cutoff date in December where you will never find any specials, usually 2 weeks before Xmas, so you might have to go a bit earlier (like the 7/12 or something)

You probably won't get anything for less that £800 though.

Cathay Pacific are offering £945 to Sydney including taxes
Old 01 June 2006, 05:05 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

A few years ago i went to sydney on new years day,i wanted to go before that,mid december and the prices were about the same 1200 in december but because i went on the 1st of january the price was 580!
Old 01 June 2006, 05:44 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Singapore Airlines are usually cheaper than BA/Quantas and are pretty good. They should also be running the new mega-Airbus on this route by December.

I have just been to Melbourne and it was £600 return.
Old 01 June 2006, 07:35 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I've been a couple of times and its definitely more expensive around the Christmas and New Year period as loads of people go to visit relatives. If you can alter your dates to after Christmas, its worth going for Australia Day at the back end of January. And yes its cheaper the earlier you book.
The last time I went I took my 8-month old daughter and the flight to Singapore was a nightmare as she'd just started teething !
Old 01 June 2006, 07:55 PM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

Dont forget the Ashes cricket is in Australia this winter, so that is also a cause of flight prices going up.

It might be worthwhile, getting a ticket to Singapore and then buying a connecting ticket from Singapore to OZ, it can (and probably will) work out cheaper.

Worth emailing some of these guys to ask prices:

http://www.singaporetours.com.sg/163017.page

I have used Ramesh travel for the last 4 years for my business tickets and they have always served me well.

Mark

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2006, 11:11 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I used o work for BA in sales, generally as the ammount of seats goes down the price goes up. I can say almost 100% for sure there will be nno sales for this time of year as we never had any trouble filling them.

I'd recommend you try phoning them though, as although you usually get an online discount, if you can be flexible with your dates sometimes you can get a better deal, they know what they are looking for , for instance, economy class seats will have something like 10 different prices attached to them for the same seats, depending on availability
Old 02 June 2006, 10:30 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
Hey chaps,

Am thinking of going to visit friends in oz in December, dates are from around the 11th to 3rd of Jan.

Checked the usual flight sites, opodo, travelbag etc. and am getting quotes of about £1200 with quantus or BA.

Curious if anybody knows whether these prices will get cheaper or more expensive as time goes on, and is it advisable to book now??

Any one else know of any places to get there any cheaper? (I dont wanna fly with some cr@p airline tho!)
Try http://www.ebookers.com but do not just check the website out, phone them and they can usually find something better. I have used them twice to OZ, once on JAL and once on Singapore Airlines

Cheers

Jim
Old 02 June 2006, 10:50 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Give Malaysian a try, they're generally a fair bit cheaper than BA/Qantas, and the service is far superior, their inflight meals are easily the best too Or alternatively Cathay Pacific, as previously mentioned, are well recommended.
Old 02 June 2006, 10:52 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

PS: The last time MrsD and I went to Oz we tried all the usual internet sources, and our local independent travel agent beat them all, for price and standard of service
Old 02 June 2006, 06:50 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, i'll have a check about then, the reason i'm going around the 10th dec is to fit in with friends holidays and then coming home just after new year, iappareciate that it is expensive ish but i dont have accomodation so I don't mind the extra!

I just didnt want to book it now and then find they had offers nearer the time for less or whatever!

The other thing I didnt want to do, was put off booking it for 2 months and then find its even more! !