Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cohabitation Rights - Common Law Marriage

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 08:39 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cohabitation Rights - Common Law Marriage

So what do people think about these new rights for cohabitees the government have asked the Law Commission to look into?

I'm very much of the opinion that if people don't get married then there should be no preferential treatment, if one of the couple dies then the will can deal with any eventuality.

As pre-nuptual agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on what is there to protect the better off party from some gold digger who is willing to put up with someone for a couple of years just to get a large slice of cash cos the have 'become accustomed to a better standard of living'? If they can become accustomed to a better standard of living I'm sure the can become unaccustomed to it too
Old 31 May 2006, 08:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosty The Snowman
So what do people think about these new rights for cohabitees the government have asked the Law Commission to look into?

I'm very much of the opinion that if people don't get married then there should be no preferential treatment, if one of the couple dies then the will can deal with any eventuality.

As pre-nuptual agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on what is there to protect the better off party from some gold digger who is willing to put up with someone for a couple of years just to get a large slice of cash cos the have 'become accustomed to a better standard of living'? If they can become accustomed to a better standard of living I'm sure the can become unaccustomed to it too
Mods - can you merge with http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=519519

I just wonder if this is some backhanded way for the government to increase marriage rates
Old 31 May 2006, 08:53 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

The cynic in me thought of things like like, but when I saw the news they started to touch on things like pensions.
Now I havent a clue as to who is entitled to what in the normal marriage stakes. If a spouse dies, and has a pension, I presume the surviving spouse can have part of that pension.....and what they are saying is, in a "common-law" (or whatever the correct teminology is) that the surviving half gets nothing. Now i think that is wrong if they have been living together as all intents and purposes married for x number of years. ie paid the mortgage together etc, that the survivor should get part of the pension.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:18 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Marriage should make a comeback.Divorce should not be so simple to obtain.

Maybe everyone would get on with living a life without thinking about who gets half the dog and the telly.

Even splitting up is part of the throwaway society with no morals and material things being the only worry people have.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:38 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
If the are " .. living together as all intents and purposes married ..." then why not get married?? That way they ARE entitled to pensions etc. Or make a will. This is just another attack on marriage which, actually turns out to be the best way to keep society on the straight and narrow.

I've never understood why people who live together want all the benfits of being married without actually getting married.
Dave
Yea I see what your saying Dave, and partly agree,"If they want the benefits from it, then do it". Otherwise tuff . I was just thinking about the way society is changing.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:40 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Marriage should make a comeback.Divorce should not be so simple to obtain.

Maybe everyone would get on with living a life without thinking about who gets half the dog and the telly.

Even splitting up is part of the throwaway society with no morals and material things being the only worry people have.
The trouble with this is you've just got to hope that your partner also has morals, otherwise you could lose a lot for the sake of a couple of nice years, which perhaps won't seem so nice when you realise there may have been a lot of deception going on.

Unfortunately these days far too much is about money, the trouble is figuring out if someone is in a relationship for love or money and I think that is getting more difficult these days.

To be quite honest at least if you marry a mail order bride at least you know what you're getting, unless it happens to be a ladyboy
Old 31 May 2006, 10:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately these days far too much is about money, the trouble is figuring out if someone is in a relationship for love or money and I think that is getting more difficult these days...
You used to be able to tell cause the 24 year old blonde would marry her 50 year old boyfriend

Now all she needs to do is live with him for a couple of years!!

Bet Heather Mills is kicking herself (if that's possible )
Old 31 May 2006, 12:31 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Well with recent rulings on divorce cases it's not surprising that many men (and women) don't want to get married. So now it would appear that co-habitees rights are going to amended by legislation. I think the government is trying to turn everyone gay, or its an underhand way to bring the population of the uk down.
After a recent bad co-habiting experience, I would never get married and now this has come about, don't think I'd want to live with another woman at all !