Bluetooth enabled Head units?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2006, 12:37 AM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth enabled Head units?

Hi,

Has anyone got one of these installed in their car and are they any good.

I'm looking at the Pioneer range : DEH-P70BT and DEH-P55BT (not sure how they differ). Seem pretty smart, but do they work that well?

Thanks
Old 21 May 2006, 09:44 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Surely you still have to wire-in the microphone (which usually sit next to the drivers sunvisor), and connect that to the stereo - I suppose it simply saves having to get a bluetooth unit which acts simply as the hands free? No exactly that great unless you are buying a new headunit anyway I dont think.
Old 21 May 2006, 01:36 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

I have the DEH P70 fitted and it's a nice bit of kit.

Installing the unit is easy - just remember to buy an adaptor lead to go from the scoob connector to the Pioneer one.
The mic terminates in a 3.5mm jack which plugs into the back of the headunit. I placed the mic in the overhead centre light console so that both driver and passenger can use it and it works ok there although I may get selfish and move it just to the top of the A pillar.
Running the cable through the dash and up the drivers side A pillar was straight forward and then it's only undoing a couple of screws and threading between the lining and roof to get it to the light console.

It's all topped off with the "forester pocket" and an Ipod adaptor.

Downsides.
The Pioneer Ipod adaptor is not very clever, you will have to set up all your music on playlists if you buy it.

The factory speaker set up is crap for music and will need to be changed to get the best out of the unit.
I have not done this yet but will eventually buy a small sub, upgrade the front door speakers and possibly put a pair of speakers on the rear shelf.

I have not bothered to transfer my phone book to the head unit!!

HTH!
Old 21 May 2006, 02:09 PM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has got a pioneer blue tooth head unit, I think it is rubbish. Generally the head unit is not a very good unit on it's own plus the blue tooth part of it is garbage, have never yet managed a full conversation without him loosing connection.
Old 21 May 2006, 03:39 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynut555
A friend of mine has got a pioneer blue tooth head unit, I think it is rubbish. Generally the head unit is not a very good unit on it's own plus the blue tooth part of it is garbage, have never yet managed a full conversation without him loosing connection.

what phone is he pairing with the device? - it needs to be compatible.
Old 21 May 2006, 05:43 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Do a search - there's a few threads about the Pioneer in the ICE forum.
Old 21 May 2006, 08:01 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
Do a search - there's a few threads about the Pioneer in the ICE forum.
GaryCat, checked out the other posts. So, did you buy one in the end?
Old 21 May 2006, 11:08 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobedoo
GaryCat, checked out the other posts. So, did you buy one in the end?
No, I may be selling my scoob soon so I'll leave the existing Sony unit in there and put whatever is the best bluetooth head in when I get a new car.
Old 22 May 2006, 07:06 AM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Ditto, I sold my scoob a few months ago. I'm driving round in one of these Skoda Fabia VRS's at the moment. Impressive little car. OEM radio is naff though.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:48 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

HI Guys,

have heard mixed reviews about the Pioneer Bluetooth head units - in the end settled for a double din dvd/mp3/tv package for a bargain

Sourced some Nokia Bluetooth hf's which are very very easy to install and put that in - great quality - easy to use and I can use it with any head unit

Jai
Old 30 May 2006, 12:59 PM
An-Ro
Scooby Newbie

I have the DEH-P70, and used it since October, so I figured I had to anwer this one...

Bluetooth: Reading what Scoobynut555 wrote I must say i disagree.. It is NOT rubbish! I have used it with several phones, both Nokia and SonyEricson and it works just fine. The head unit does not effect the range of cellphones in any way, so to loose connection you would either have to have your phone fare away from the headunit, about 4-5 meters, or push the red-phone button. The downside is that you can`t transfer phonelists from all bluetooth phones, but it`s easyer to use the contactlist in the phone anyway.

Sound: The factory settings seems to be made for small original carstereos. But for those of us who have coustum stereos, the tweaking options are many. Take your time (perhaps even read the manual) and it will sound very good!

iPod: Navigating through the menues of your ipod is a bit tricky to do while driving, it could altso have been a litter faster. But soundquality is much better than using f.ex. monster iCar (FM-transmitter). It may be just as good using the aux input, but I have not tried this yet. An other downside of the ipod connector is that you can`t navigate using the ipod, and you can`t watch videofiles and get the sound on your system (if anyone knows how, please mail me!).

Finally it is very easy to install. The wire to the microphone is thin and flexible so it is easy to hide in the A-beam. Connecting to phones are easy, and once you have set up the display, taking away all needless fancy entertinment lights, the headunit is very clean and logical.