Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How flexible is your employment?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2006, 01:15 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How flexible is your employment?

Just a question really - how flexible are your employers?
I have just been refused a Monday Morning off to take my gf to the airport even though i always work extra hours (unpaid i might add)

I have been at the place for 13 years now and you'd think i'd be granted a little bit of flexibility.

i work damn hard and being in teh senior position i am in i am extremley loyal - its not as if i want a week off at short notice.

anyway rant over

are your employers rigid or are they flexible.

i feel mine is all take, take, take,

cheers
Old 04 May 2006, 01:18 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

i work damn hard and being in teh senior position i am in i am extremley loyal
....and never abuse my internet access by posting on Scoobynet when at work

Old 04 May 2006, 01:19 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
....and never abuse my internet access by posting on Scoobynet when at work

Lunchtime matey

although i am guilty of it
Old 04 May 2006, 01:23 PM
scooby595
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine ?? Very very flexible. I'm on flexi-time which is good anyway.

There are a few perks to being a Civil Servant, one of course is they are very flexible (well my office is anyway !!)

Been there done the extra hours for free thing, now at least my extra hour I get back. I've always found they seemed to turn a blind eye to the extra hours you put in, using the old line "work hours as the job dictates !!"

I guess now you've asked for the day off you can't take it sick or it'd look to suspicious ??
Old 04 May 2006, 01:23 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

mine are great.... have pretty much when i like off if were not that busy... all i really need to do is work either monday/tuesday to make sure the wages are paid... i also autorise holidays... so NO-ONE can have anytime off apart from me.... unless of course the boss (my dad ) says they can...
Old 04 May 2006, 01:25 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby595
mine ?? Very very flexible. I'm on flexi-time which is good anyway.

There are a few perks to being a Civil Servant, one of course is they are very flexible (well my office is anyway !!)

Been there done the extra hours for free thing, now at least my extra hour I get back. I've always found they seemed to turn a blind eye to the extra hours you put in, using the old line "work hours as the job dictates !!"

I guess now you've asked for the day off you can't take it sick or it'd look to suspicious ??

I've only had a week off in 13 years (due to an op) so alarm bells would ring if i had as much as a day off sick
Old 04 May 2006, 01:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Come and go as I please, start when I want, take time off when I want, we just agree amongst our selves when we are in or not.

Tis awsome

I could take tomorrow off and it would not matter, I don't need to ask permission I just note it down in our team calander.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:37 PM
Gillp95
Scooby Regular

Can't you book it as a half day holiday ? ? Your entitled to holidays.... no matter what. If he is too tight to look the other way for a couple of hours, then do it properly and book it. Nowt he can do about it.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:39 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gillp95
Can't you book it as a half day holiday ? ? Your entitled to holidays.... no matter what. If he is too tight to look the other way for a couple of hours, then do it properly and book it. Nowt he can do about it.

I have to give 6 weeks notice Paul

which is feckin' silly for half a day
Old 04 May 2006, 01:40 PM
Glencora
Scooby Regular

I am also very lucky - I can look on the net on a wednesday afternoon for cheap flights to Spain (mum lives there) and if I find one i like I walk into my boss's office and ask for the following week off. Never received a 'no' in 4 years of working here.

Odd days I just put in his calendar and take them.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:47 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

The company I work for is as tight as hell with time off, but my boss is a top geezer and he always sees us right.
I do feel for some of the others though that have bosses who actually give a **** about the place
Old 04 May 2006, 01:48 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I split up with my gf on Tuesday evening so I sent my boss an email saying I wouldn't be in on Weds to sort my head out.

No messing about, he's fine about it as long as I don't take the ****, was a one off. Never been refused a day off ever.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:50 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Very flexible, i work from home most days , but have to show face at the three depots i look after once every couple of weeks, which is easy done.
I enjoy my job more than ever as i can spend as much time as possible doing what i want. Its all to do with branch performances & they are all sorted

Though has to be said that i was working till 3am on saturday morning as we had a naval carrier with faults, so i can sometimes go the extra mile
Old 04 May 2006, 01:52 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine are pretty flexible.

My GF is re-training so we've lost her income for the next 15 months and can no longer afford child care costs after school.

Monday and Tuesday I work till 6pm (usual 5pm) and Wednesday to Friday I work from 8am (usual 9) to 3pm. I'm dropping an hour but make up for it by not taking an hour for lunch.
Old 04 May 2006, 02:07 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

I manage my own depot (logistics) so, so long as I have touched base with every one and made sure the jobs covered with my staff my manager is pretty flexible.

however, before I was in the position I am now, I likewise seemed to get a rough deal when it came to my need for holidays and requested early finishes I too put the hours in to try and impress but seldom got rewarded also with at the time 15 years service.

In the end I applied for this position within the company and was fortunate to get it, pressures and constant requirment for high productivity are so much greater, but the rewards are some what too.

chuck a sicky mate or take your request to higher level, depending on your status and security, you never know!!
well to be fair your imediate manager supervisor who turned you down will hate you, but you don't go to work to make friends and have drinking buddies (is a bonus though) you go to pay the bills and holidays for your girlfriend with the sounds
Old 04 May 2006, 02:16 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Talking

i'm very luck with my hours, basically i have an amount of work, which if its done it doesnt matter what time i work.

for example i'm doing extra hours here and there at the mo then i'm off to brighton at the weekend till wednesday.
Old 04 May 2006, 02:17 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Fairly good at this place although its not a big operation, always worked on the fact that if everything that needs to be done is done nobody sees a problem with anyone else shooting off home an hour early to do something like take the pooch to the vets or make sure your on the golf course before it goes dark...lol Seriously though its fairly laid back here but wouldnt want to take the mick cause you'd ruin the flexibility for everyone else
Old 04 May 2006, 03:36 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I would go higher but its my Dad - he's the top dog.
i've just this minute came out after a huge row about it.

never ever work for your parents

I actually said to him i could have chucked a sicky but instead was honest - he said if i had done that he would have fired me on the spot.

Great eh!

Originally Posted by MickWrx
I manage my own depot (logistics) so, so long as I have touched base with every one and made sure the jobs covered with my staff my manager is pretty flexible.

however, before I was in the position I am now, I likewise seemed to get a rough deal when it came to my need for holidays and requested early finishes I too put the hours in to try and impress but seldom got rewarded also with at the time 15 years service.

In the end I applied for this position within the company and was fortunate to get it, pressures and constant requirment for high productivity are so much greater, but the rewards are some what too.

chuck a sicky mate or take your request to higher level, depending on your status and security, you never know!!
well to be fair your imediate manager supervisor who turned you down will hate you, but you don't go to work to make friends and have drinking buddies (is a bonus though) you go to pay the bills and holidays for your girlfriend with the sounds

Last edited by The Chief; 04 May 2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04 May 2006, 03:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol if it was your dad then Id definately be expecting some perks
Old 04 May 2006, 03:44 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by The Chief

I actually said to him i could have chucked a sicky but instead was honest - he said if i had done that he would have fired me on the spot.

Great eh!
That puts a different perspective on it. I could have went work for my Dad a few years ago, but decided against it due to the fact that we dont see eye to eye sometimes & have been close to a rumble in the front garden. I hate taking orders & i know for a fact he would have ordered me around, so i chose another path & that have benn successful in its own right
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I
My Mother is a senior partner where I work. I've got the deal on the working hours but when it comes to time off, things aren't quite as easy for me as it is the others.

Give about a weeks notice its fine for anyone else having time off. It took me 3 attempts to get a Friday off last month and in the end I just stated "I'm not coming in tomorrow!"

And as for holidays, I have to turn off my mobile becuase by 12noon on the first day of hols they'll be on the phone about something - this does not happen with other members of staff.

It has its plus and minus points working for family members.
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Great eh!
You'll get your revenge one day when he's too old to look after himself, just bide your time!
Old 04 May 2006, 05:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

As I work for my dad (his own company), he is very flexable when it come's to giving me time off. Either that, or I'll tell me Mam.
Old 04 May 2006, 07:26 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If he's working you to rule, then reply by working to rule (i.e. no late nights, coming in at 9, leaving at 5.30, take 1 hour lunch break etc.). If they won't scratch your back whilst you're scratching theirs then I'd look elsewhere for employment.
Old 05 May 2006, 12:39 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
If he's working you to rule, then reply by working to rule (i.e. no late nights, coming in at 9, leaving at 5.30, take 1 hour lunch break etc.). If they won't scratch your back whilst you're scratching theirs then I'd look elsewhere for employment.

I said that in an e-mail to him (which was a mistake) he said i was being contentious and if it were any one else they woudl be sacked on the spot.
Old 05 May 2006, 07:53 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It would be illegal for him to sack you for working to rule. How long have you been working for him? Employees have quite a lot of rights these days, they can't just sack you without legitimate reason.
Old 05 May 2006, 08:47 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

We've finally been allowed to work flexi-time and take less time for lunch so we can change our working times around - we just let our team know who's where and when informally and it works
Will stroll in in a little bit!

Quick Reply: How flexible is your employment?