Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Apprentice - Best Episode Yet

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2006, 10:43 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Apprentice - Best Episode Yet

I still have not stopped laughing from tonights latest round of Gladiator - sorry The Apprentice

"I'm a great guy - I can get on with anyone at any level"

- "Well you're not getting on with me!"

"Go down to the local Peugot dealer and you will find four Paul Tulips and three of them will be wearing better suits!"

Absolutely fantastic.

Biggest shock was finding out Paul is only 26 - something else he has lied about - I thought he was about 38!

My money is on Michelle to win - the swing question was asking if she looked after her three brothers.

Ruth will have to have a massive success to win now.

Rannoch
Old 03 May 2006, 10:49 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

'twas funny. The pug and suits gag was funny as ****.
Old 03 May 2006, 10:51 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Not sure, I was suprised he kept Michelle on, Ansell came out of tonight looking better than ever but was shocked to see him go. Really thought Paul would win it but after tonight he really did show himself up. I hate Ruth but I can see her winning it, if you look back through the series Michelle hasnt done anything at all to look interested or well driven to win IMO.
Old 03 May 2006, 10:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I rekon Ansell sorted,

AS going to call him in 3 weeks to see how he,s doing....

ive got an opening, the apprentice i hired was crap!!!

Mart
Old 03 May 2006, 11:07 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Sir Allen will definatly give Ansell a job. He will wait until the program has finished and then sort him out.
He still should have kept him on till the end!
Old 03 May 2006, 11:24 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Michelle is very smart but not commercial - she is a project manager and there are loads of project managers earning £500 a day (to make the £100k plus she claims) that are OK but not necessarily outstanding.

Ruth is commercial but not very smart. She has little emotional intelligence - just look at how she dealt with the guy who kept telling her to sit back and calm down - she leaned even further forward. As he described her, "She doesn't breath in a lot!". Very funny.

If Ruth can grab just a little emotional intelligence and gain some rapport with AMS she might pull it off. But based on tonights performance she is the underdog as far as AMS is concerned - even though with the rough edges knocked off she might be the better performer in Amstrad.

The fact that neither Ansell or Paul knew what Amstrad did - and then Paul tried to blag was shocking. Paul is just the same as Syad, a chancer, just a little more slick about it.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Michelle is very smart but not commercial - she is a project manager and there are loads of project managers earning £500 a day (to make the £100k plus she claims) that are OK but not necessarily outstanding.

Ruth is commercial but not very smart. She has little emotional intelligence - just look at how she dealt with the guy who kept telling her to sit back and calm down - she leaned even further forward. As he described her, "She doesn't breath in a lot!". Very funny.

If Ruth can grab just a little emotional intelligence and gain some rapport with AMS she might pull it off. But based on tonights performance she is the underdog as far as AMS is concerned - even though with the rough edges knocked off she might be the better performer in Amstrad.

The fact that neither Ansell or Paul knew what Amstrad did - and then Paul tried to blag was shocking. Paul is just the same as Syad, a chancer, just a little more slick about it.
That's virtually ad verbatim mine and the GFs summary. What do you do for a living out of interest?
Old 03 May 2006, 11:27 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Interesting to see that the paper they were reading in the house prior to the final interviews was from the third week in October. The headline was, "BUTT OUT BLATTER" which was a supposed quote from Ferguson.

A long time to wait for the final result! Especially if you are not earning in the interim!
Old 03 May 2006, 11:31 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by JTaylor
That's virtually ad verbatim mine and the GFs summary. What do you do for a living out of interest?
Peak Performance coach and consultant. Used to be a director of one of the top twenty-five companies in the UK and decided to do something different for a more fun in life - which it is

What do you do?
Old 03 May 2006, 11:46 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

A long time to wait for the final result! Especially if you are not earning in the interim!

Both finalist have been working for SAS for the last 6 months, as per last year.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:47 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info - intrigued as this is your first post!
Old 03 May 2006, 11:51 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I was just unimpressed by the quality of the people in the show this time.

If this lot command 100K wages i would be very surprised. They might make £500 a day but not often enough to make 100K a year, well i hope not.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:59 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I was just unimpressed by the quality of the people in the show this time.

If this lot command 100K wages i would be very surprised. They might make £500 a day but not often enough to make 100K a year, well i hope not.
Sorry to disappoint you mate but FTSE-100 companies are stuffed to the gunnels with hired in contract project managers working full time for between £400 and £1500 a day. Work 200 days a year and you get the picture. Work 240 days a year and you are quids in!

This is based on running around 2-400 contractors in my last job. I would expect that an awful lot of Scoobs on this BBS are people with these kinds of jobs.

Michelle is definately the type - young, yes, but looks like she could easily pull off a contract programme manager job and probably earn more than some of the more commercially minded people. I reckon she probably earns more than Ruth.

Paul earned about what he was worth - £25k
Old 04 May 2006, 12:09 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Well it is sad world where some body like that can be in so short supply that they command that sort of wage
Old 04 May 2006, 12:23 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

For a corporation the £100k contractor costs about the same as a £50-60k employee once the employee's salary and costs of employment are factored in.

So the quality comparison is with £50k project managers.

And for the corporation there is no overhang as demand rises and falls. It is much easier and less costly to hire and fire a contractor to meet demand - so overall a contractor - even at £100k per year is a lower financial risk.

So they only have to do an OK job to apparently earn a lot of money. Which is why the really good ones can get over £1000 a day, full time.

I think that the Amstrad people didn't really understand this as they seemed a little surprised at Michelles earning power. They said it was a lot of money - which it is - but not really considering what she is doing and seems capable of. And interestingly Ruth would never be able to do it as she is too 'hot headed' where Michelle is politic and quiet.
Old 04 May 2006, 12:32 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Peak Performance coach and consultant. Used to be a director of one of the top twenty-five companies in the UK and decided to do something different for a more fun in life - which it is

What do you do?
**** all
Old 04 May 2006, 07:20 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Wonder if Ruth will be in the next gurning competition. Could you work with her.............no.

As for Michelle I could work on her
Old 04 May 2006, 07:45 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If I was in the interview with the guy from Viglen I think I'd have ended up countering his abruptness by asking why the hell a company that's been around as long as they have aren't competing with Dell/HP/Lenovo etc. for market share. Especially if he'd told me I wasn't setting the world alight
Old 04 May 2006, 08:52 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
If I was in the interview with the guy from Viglen I think I'd have ended up countering his abruptness by asking why the hell a company that's been around as long as they have aren't competing with Dell/HP/Lenovo etc. for market share. Especially if he'd told me I wasn't setting the world alight
Was he the one that said - "well you're not getting on with me"

If he'd said that to me in an interview I'd have replied - well you can go **** yourself arseface .

Having said that - I would have said what he said to that over-cocky tw@t Paul

Ruth should have been fired yesterday - She's a souless **** !
Old 04 May 2006, 09:04 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Fish Fingers should definitely have gone. She won't win though, Michelle, the underdog will win just like last year.
Old 04 May 2006, 09:19 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My money is on Michelle to win - the swing question was asking if she looked after her three brothers.
Completely agree with this

I've read somewhere that SAS is a very family oriented man outside of the office.

Andy
Old 04 May 2006, 09:59 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just watched it again - addict

To Paul - "What makes you angry?"

Paul - "People selling the Big Issue just by shouting Big Issue in your face and not selling you the features of the magazine."

Interviewer Paul - "Do you realise that people who sell the Big Issue are homeless and don't really have many skills they are just trying to eat?"

Paul - quizzical look - "Yeah!"

Priceless

For everything else - YOU'RE FIRED!

Rannoch
Old 04 May 2006, 10:17 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Was top enterntainment - reckon Sugar had already made up his mind to give Michelle the job ( "ooh, I had a hard upbringing and I'm common, and look how low my top is" ) - I think his decision on who else to keep in from Ansell and Ruth was more based on who would make the best TV and entertainment.

Couldnt believe Paul reckons so much of himself when he's only on £25K a year ??? IF he's so AMAZING, how come Michelle, who is only a year older, earns 4 times as much ( if her claims are to be believed ).

If I had to make the decision :

Paul - fired - the blokes an ar5ehole, he doesnt even have the integrity of a used car salesman, and those interviewers were right, he's the typical loves himself wideboy type who flit from double glazing sales to life insurance to selling pegs door to door. On £25K he's being OVERPAID.

Ruth - fired - far too annoying, would do more damage than good to the business - can you imagine her dealing with other companies, would really get peoples backs up. Was also completely BS'ing about her last job - got offered 250,000 share options and a sabatical, and decided to leave anyway - not likely.

Michelle - fired - theres something dodgy about her - she is very cold, and you get the feeling she could be a right bitch. She also doesnt seem to be particularly good at anything.

Ansell - hired - I know they banged on about how nice he was, but in business when you are dealing with other companies, being personable and getting people to genuinely like you will make a hell of a lot more money than being arrogant or trying to blag it in the long run.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:06 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I don't think I could employ Ruth unless I were running a factory with an already transient workforce, in which case she'd fit the bill. Primarily though, I'd pass her over for being unattractive.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:12 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff

Michelle - fired - theres something dodgy about her - she is very cold, and you get the feeling she could be a right bitch. She also doesnt seem to be particularly good at anything.

Ansell - hired - I know they banged on about how nice he was, but in business when you are dealing with other companies, being personable and getting people to genuinely like you will make a hell of a lot more money than being arrogant or trying to blag it in the long run.
My wife thinks Michelle is a journalist plant, keeps a low profile and hangs in there. Says all the right things and her actual background is being kept a little too shady....I'm sure it will all come out in the wash
Old 04 May 2006, 11:37 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Camk, Can understand where your coming from .....

As for Ruth ..... No way in hell would i want that on the pay role.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:22 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

Paul surprised me last night, throughout the competition he was the one that seemed a pretty genuine guy. He made a total fool of himself last night though, he showed that he was just a blagger and thought way too much of himself.

Ansel, I don't know why everyone on here is bigging him up, I thought he was crap at everything he did.

None of them have any commercial sense and they seem totally out of their depth. Ruth seems the obvious one out of the lot, but I don't believe her story about leaving the company for a second. I think she is a bit of a billy bull****ter. She is also incredibly annoying as a person, I could not work with her full stop.

Michelle seems a bit of a dark horse, but again seems to have no overall business knowledge.
Old 04 May 2006, 02:37 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Ansell was just a non entity, whats all this about him being just a salesman, he wasn't even good at that!

What was missing from the interviews was Sayeed, thought the bloke was top value for entertainment purposes. Frankly amazed he lasted as long as he did on the show considering some of the howlers he made.

Would have loved to see Sayeed doing the interviews with SAS's team, would be pure comedic enjoyment, just seeing him week after week in the losing team individual play offs with Sugar was great TV.

My g/f hated Sayeed with a vengence, but I must admit after initially feeling the same, I grew to like the bloke's false arrogance and squirming ability.

Michelle is just another non entity like Ansell, and it seemed to me she played on her looks and sexuality along with a bit of violin playing/heart string pulling to get where she is now, wherever that may be, would like to see confirmation of her earnings.

The winner will be between Ruth and Michelle, but the real winners for me for entertainment have been Sayeed, Paul and Jo in that order.
Old 04 May 2006, 03:53 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Michelle has great norks.

And that makes a lot of difference to me. Ruth was outed as a lesbian - not that this makes a difference, but...
Old 04 May 2006, 04:20 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Looks like Michelle has made an emotional connection with Sir Alan. I think he identifies with her the most and probably sees some of himself in her.

Besides, the carpet muncher would do my head in and her story doesn't check out (to me). Plus, Sir Alan didn't like the way she conducted herself in the boadroom (something he praised Ansell for)

Providing Michelle doesn't **** up totally on the final task, its hers I reckon.

Quick Reply: Apprentice - Best Episode Yet