Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Average Speed Camera's are being put up on the M25!

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2006, 08:12 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average Speed Camera's are being put up on the M25!

I wandered what the blue lamp post going up on the M25 were for

Between the A1 and the A12 I passed about 5 (on both sides of the motorway). One of which had a bright yellow camera sticking out above the slow lane!

I saw the reverse of the signs (yet to be turned round) which said (AVERAGE SPEED CAMERA)

So you'll no longer be able to do 80 safely on the motorway at 2am in the morning!

I wander how much they have calculated they'll earn from this cash cow.

Not even heard anything in the news!

*******s!
Old 03 May 2006, 08:32 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

FFS

The government are screwed for money, so as usual its the motorist who gets targetted.
Old 03 May 2006, 08:36 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I've seen some of the blue posts going up at J25 - however, I think these are for road works that are planned for that stretch of the M25 - I suspect that the ones VTEC mentions are for the same reason?
Old 03 May 2006, 08:37 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
I've seen some of the blue posts going up at J25 - however, I think these are for road works that are planned for that stretch of the M25 - I suspect that the ones VTEC mentions are for the same reason?
Speed cameras shouldnt effect you in the mazda though chris right?
Old 03 May 2006, 08:39 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Bloody cheek - who had to have their Impreza modified because I kept up with them
Old 03 May 2006, 08:40 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Just mentioned it to a mate at work and he said that there are similar on the M11 (at roadworks).

So they may be temporary! (Around the A10)

Fingers crossed
Old 03 May 2006, 08:47 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats all this about cash cows and targetting motorists??

This is a payment NO-ONE needs to pay!! It's a choice thing.

Just the same as you must pay to get some thrills from the RollerCoaster at BlackPool .... you have to pay for the pleasure. If you speed you accept that you 'may' have to pay for breaking the law to get your kicks.

It's no-ones fault except your own if you find yourself having to pay anything!

So, come on - grow up and accept responsibility ... see a camera, slow down.

Pete
Old 03 May 2006, 08:52 AM
w00t
BANNED

naaah fake plates are where its at!
Old 03 May 2006, 08:53 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by w00t
naaah fake plates are where its at!
Yeah!!

That's a LOT better for you than a speeding fine!

Pete
Old 03 May 2006, 09:06 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Yeah!!

That's a LOT better for you than a speeding fine!

Pete

Better to just remove the front plates, you get a fine, but no points!
Old 03 May 2006, 09:10 AM
w00t
BANNED

Originally Posted by OllyK
Better to just remove the front plates, you get a fine, but no points!
Exactly!

pslewis has been driving round like a grandpa for nothing
Old 03 May 2006, 09:11 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Bloody cheek - who had to have their Impreza modified because I kept up with them
I told you I had it modified, but all I really did was go up into 3rd gear.
Old 03 May 2006, 09:17 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

LOL - dream on!
Old 03 May 2006, 10:17 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Yup no front plate is £30 fine IF you get stopped. I was running around without one for 5 months before some jobsworth probation made it his mission to annoy me. He's now had a complaint against him for harrassment tho and my tickets revoked

False plate will earn you points.
Old 03 May 2006, 01:14 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Whats all this about cash cows and targetting motorists??

This is a payment NO-ONE needs to pay!! It's a choice thing.

Just the same as you must pay to get some thrills from the RollerCoaster at BlackPool .... you have to pay for the pleasure. If you speed you accept that you 'may' have to pay for breaking the law to get your kicks.

It's no-ones fault except your own if you find yourself having to pay anything!

So, come on - grow up and accept responsibility ... see a camera, slow down.

Pete
And I have done! PAID for the privelidge. It was an unmarked car so no deterent! MY fault though as I was speeding and I have not complained about it.

After posting the original post I learnt that they were probably temporary (future road works), which if it keeps everyone at a constant speed through them I don't have an issue with.

Don't be a tool in thinking that they are not there to raise money. £26Billion is raised through cameras, road taxes, petrol taxes etc and only £6Billion is put back into roads.

Speed isn't the be all and end all of dangerous driving only a small factor. It's too readily seen by small minded halfwits as the root cause of all societies ill's.

We used to live in a day when a police man would use his discression, now it's a mandatory ticket to get a quota!
Old 03 May 2006, 01:18 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VTEC to Turbo
We used to live in a day when a police man would use his discression, now it's a mandatory ticket to get a quota!
Yup and accident rates were falling. Now they are increasing, and bad driving is increasing also due to lack of traffic police. But its ok as long as people don't exceed that magical number
Old 03 May 2006, 01:20 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Yup and accident rates were falling. Now they are increasing, and bad driving is increasing also due to lack of traffic police. But its ok as long as people don't exceed that magical number
Exactly
Old 03 May 2006, 01:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VTEC to Turbo
Don't be a tool in thinking that they are not there to raise money. £26Billion is raised through cameras, road taxes, petrol taxes etc and only £6Billion is put back into roads.

Don't be a tool and admit that these cameras 'could' raise NOT ONE penny!! If people knew how to drive within the law.

Now, you could argue whether the law is an *** ...... but, the point of the post is the insinuation that the cameras are only there to raise money ... if they are then FIGHT BACK and stick to the speed limits!!!

That way we shall all kick these things off the roads .... when they start costing money they will stop placing them!!!!

Lets all FIGHT back, play them at their own game and stick to the limits!!!!

It's sooooo, soooooo simple it hurts!!

Pete
Old 03 May 2006, 01:51 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Don't be a tool and admit that these cameras 'could' raise NOT ONE penny!! If people knew how to drive within the law.

Now, you could argue whether the law is an *** ...... but, the point of the post is the insinuation that the cameras are only there to raise money ... if they are then FIGHT BACK and stick to the speed limits!!!

That way we shall all kick these things off the roads .... when they start costing money they will stop placing them!!!!

Pete
You only know how to play one tune don't you?!?!

The only thing they'll increase on our roads is road tax the amount of cameras and petrol prices.

You are still a tool
Old 03 May 2006, 02:09 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

These will likely be for SPECS cameras which will enforce a temporary 40mph limit during the period of some roadworks.

SPECS works by taking the average speed between 2 or more cameras over a distance and if obviously in excess then expect a NIP.

Have to say it works well as the M11 has flowed almost all the time of the roadworks they have had recently and keeps the workforce safe. However, it is still amazing to see people even doing 40 slam their brakes on as they approach one of these things in the belief they will otherwise be done!
Old 03 May 2006, 02:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Pete
When the revenue starts to fall at camera sites there usually follows a reclassification of the road and a reduction in the speed limit. Such that we now have some dual carriageways with 40mph limits.

Personally I'd like to see speeding dealt with as it should be, each case seen by a magistrate and you enter a plea at that point. If the courts can't handle the numbers involved, then that should be an indicator that speed cameras are not effective at reducing the speeds at which people travel.
Old 03 May 2006, 02:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
However, it is still amazing to see people even doing 40 slam their brakes on as they approach one of these things in the belief they will otherwise be done!
This is partly the problem, most people on here are car enthusiasts and are aware of teh different camera types and how they work, Joe public as a whole doesn't understand the difference between Truvelo, GATSO and SPECS (never mind traffic light cameras) and so can end up braking in unpredictable ways, this in itself then causes a further hazzard.
Old 03 May 2006, 02:25 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Pete does have a point! these cameras cost thousands to setup and raise thousands in fines, if people slowed down when passing them they would not raise a single penny in fines it is not rocket science. They will then see that the cameras are costing a small fortune to maintain and are raising no revenue and will be forced to scrap them or allow them to fall into disrepair, they will also be happy that they have achieved what they set out to and that was to kill speed. In actual fact they have only killed speed in the vacinity of the cameras, but at least their statistics will be good..

I am no tree hugger I drive like a racing driver but slow down to pass a camera, hence that camera has done its job and made me slow down, it has not raised any money so has actually cost the government money, I then speed up until the next camera and so on, I still get to speed but the camera doesn't get my money. I still get to do what I want to do which is speed and the government is paying for the priviledge.
Old 03 May 2006, 02:32 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Pete does have a point! these cameras cost thousands to setup and raise thousands in fines, if people slowed down when passing them they would not raise a single penny in fines it is not rocket science. They will then see that the cameras are costing a small fortune to maintain and are raising no revenue and will be forced to scrap them or allow them to fall into disrepair, they will also be happy that they have achieved what they set out to and that was to kill speed. In actual fact they have only killed speed in the vacinity of the cameras, but at least their statistics will be good..

I am no tree hugger I drive like a racing driver but slow down to pass a camera, hence that camera has done its job and made me slow down, it has not raised any money so has actually cost the government money, I then speed up until the next camera and so on, I still get to speed but the camera doesn't get my money. I still get to do what I want to do which is speed and the government is paying for the priviledge.
No, they reduce the limits and replace GATSO / TRUVELO cameras with SPECS, try driving along the A610 in to Nottingham sometime! What it has done however, is force large amounts of traffic down the nearby residential roads so that they can avoid the SPECS, with corresponding increases in casualties etc as these roads aren't designed for heavy traffic.
Old 03 May 2006, 02:38 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

No, they reduce the limits and replace GATSO / TRUVELO cameras with SPECS, try driving along the A610 in to Nottingham sometime! What it has done however, is force large amounts of traffic down the nearby residential roads so that they can avoid the SPECS, with corresponding increases in casualties etc as these roads aren't designed for heavy traffic.
Ok sure but the point still remains that if you slow down in the vicinity of the camera it will not cost you anything, therefore they will not raise any money from their expensive cameras! there must be more roads that do not have cameras of any type on them than roads with them, so you can still go and have your fun.
Old 03 May 2006, 02:50 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Ok sure but the point still remains that if you slow down in the vicinity of the camera it will not cost you anything, therefore they will not raise any money from their expensive cameras!
Indeed, and this is where ISA and similar devices start to take over. Also look at the M42 cameras, the police are putting these in, they are exempt from the current halt to speed cameras as they ANPR cameras, but they are conveniently every 50 yards or so, just in case your tax disc falls off as you're driving along perhaps? The police have said they can be used for speed monitoring and enforcement.

there must be more roads that do not have cameras of any type on them than roads with them, so you can still go and have your fun.
It isn't about fun, it's about focusing on what's going on around me rather than worrying about a couple of mph here or there. It's also that the government has a single stringed bow towards road safety (Kill Speed) and it isn't working and becuase it isn't working they are trying to enforce yet lower and lower speeds.
Old 03 May 2006, 02:59 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

It isn't about fun, it's about focusing on what's going on around me rather than worrying about a couple of mph here or there.
Now that I do agree with, surely it is safer to watch the road and your surroundings when you are driving than to watch your speedo and then squash a kid at 29mph.

BTW are you still responsible if you squash a kid below the speed limit?

Do you still get done for dangerous driving even if you are below the speed limit.

Is "sorry ocifer I was watching my speedo and not the road as I didn't want to break the law" a viable and valid reason?
Old 03 May 2006, 03:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Now that I do agree with, surely it is safer to watch the road and your surroundings when you are driving than to watch your speedo and then squash a kid at 29mph.
BTW are you still responsible if you squash a kid below the speed limit?
If it was your fault, then yes.

Do you still get done for dangerous driving even if you are below the speed limit.
If you were driving dangerously, then yes.

Is "sorry ocifer I was watching my speedo and not the road as I didn't want to break the law" a viable and valid reason?
Nope - that's driving without due care.
Old 03 May 2006, 03:13 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Indeed, and this is where ISA and similar devices start to take over. Also look at the M42 cameras, the police are putting these in, they are exempt from the current halt to speed cameras as they ANPR cameras, but they are conveniently every 50 yards or so, just in case your tax disc falls off as you're driving along perhaps? The police have said they can be used for speed monitoring and enforcement.
They're actually there to monitor for broken down vehicles ...as it's soon due to go to 4 lanes & shoulderless during rush hour
Old 03 May 2006, 04:10 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

They have SPECs cameras on the A77 - miles of the bloody things. It's not a road that it's wise to speed on anyway (dreadful accident history), but the worst effect of the cameras is that every LGV you come across is trundling along at 40 mph