Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Nice to see the Police cracking down on thugs

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01052006/14...lash-gang.html

Unbelievable
Old 01 May 2006, 01:22 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lock her up!!! Beating up poor defenceless little kids, they only wanted a nice game off football
Old 01 May 2006, 02:40 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Headline grabbing isn't it.......

What they dont tell you is the "gang of youths" were also arrested.
(I am assuming this of course)

When the police get there they are obligated to act on the rules of the law.
If the grand mother hit / grabbed dragged or whatever, the 11yr old kid then a law has been broken.
What hopefully will happen is that the charges against her are dropped and the real culprits held to book.

Typical "spin" to sell newspapers IMO...
No one can just say "how it really is anymore.

Andy
Old 01 May 2006, 02:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Mrs Robinson, who volunteers a parent and toddler group, a child contact centre and a creche, added: "I don't think the police dealt with it at all well. I'm hardly a menace to society."

£50 if she is charged she'll be asked not to return to work.

This country is ******* Sh1te. Those little B@stards will be round her house as soon as she gets back, making her life a ******* nightmare. The parents of those kids should be the one's locked up for allowing their kids to harass a defenseless old lady.
Old 01 May 2006, 06:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is high time that these PC plonkers were sorted out and the emphasis put on defending innocent people from this sort of disgusting treatmen. I wonder if we will ever get back to plain old common sense and the correct action when it comes to dealing with yobs and louts like these arseholes!

Les
Old 01 May 2006, 06:49 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

And the bib wonder why there popularity is at an all time low...

whatever happened to discretion?? and the copper applying some old fashioned common sense..

no doubt we,ll get the party line from the resident feds, that a law has been broken an and arrest MUST be made.....

funny how the law seems to change dependant on the chances of a conviction....

ie...

race crime w-e 100% persue/ convict

race crime e-w ?? not in the publics interest

B&A unless caught in the act.. not in the publics interest, and even then is doubtfull

yobbery & nuisance asbo (utter joke) or not in the publics interest (unless there is a pc agenda to appease)

GBH with video evidence mild ticking off / asbo.. (unless a pc agenda to appease)

defending your own property, 100% arrest and detention regardless!!

Motoring offences.... 100% persue / convict

there is a joker that can be played at anytime depending on your pc status, which will guarantee you a holiday, or much reduced sentance, but again its only open to select member of the community

mart
Old 01 May 2006, 06:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Headline grabbing isn't it.......

What they dont tell you is the "gang of youths" were also arrested.
(I am assuming this of course)

When the police get there they are obligated to act on the rules of the law.
If the grand mother hit / grabbed dragged or whatever, the 11yr old kid then a law has been broken.
What hopefully will happen is that the charges against her are dropped and the real culprits held to book.

Typical "spin" to sell newspapers IMO...
No one can just say "how it really is anymore.

Andy
I would bloody hope they were arrestted, assualting someone with with poles ffs. Its a shame the police cannot apply some common sense a 66 year old woman who volunteers at the local playgroup is hardly a career thug. and you can bet she will no longer be able to help out at the playgroup after this.
Old 01 May 2006, 07:19 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Yes very depressing and sorry state of affairs. They were in her garden and wouldn't leave so she made them leave - well played I say and this farse just shows what's wrong with this country. These little thugs and yobs run riot, nothing gets done, and then when someone else does something because it's personal they are banged up... It's all back to front and people wonder why society in this country is in decline.
Old 02 May 2006, 12:38 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hold on

She has not been charged yet - just arrested and interviewed. There's alot the papers leave out. The offence is two counts of ABH - so she must have caused injuries. Who witnessed it and was it caught on camera. Its all got to be invesitigated to establish the truth of what happened.

Age doesn't really come into it as you can find some very violent 60 and 70 year olds. Also the type of job is not important - this will be the papers sensationalising it.

This day and age, we have no discretion and everything we do is scrutinised - so all the jobs we deal with have to be done properly. That is to say - identify offences, interview suspects and witnesses, find all available evidence then present these findings to CPS.
Old 02 May 2006, 12:53 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Ahhh sense at last...

but I did say that at the start of the thread

Andy
Old 02 May 2006, 08:24 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

If they hadn't messed around with her they would not have got a thick ear.

Serves them right.Police should have turned up and given them another cuff,taken them home where they had their ***** tanned.Mine blooming would.

Kids need to know their place.Too smart and cocky by half at the moment and it is all down to crap like this 'I know my rights' .They shouldn't flippin have any and they should learn what a cane is at school as well.

I could write tons.Instead I will wait for the 'wrap them in cotton wool and let them run riot' crowd to defend them.
Old 02 May 2006, 08:34 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by lozgti
If they hadn't messed around with her they would not have got a thick ear.

Serves them right.Police should have turned up and given them another cuff,taken them home where they had their ***** tanned.Mine blooming would.

Kids need to know their place.Too smart and cocky by half at the moment and it is all down to crap like this 'I know my rights' .They shouldn't flippin have any and they should learn what a cane is at school as well.

I could write tons.Instead I will wait for the 'wrap them in cotton wool and let them run riot' crowd to defend them.
100% right!
I do hope common sense prevails and this incident is seen for what it is and she is let off without charge.

some kids can and do what they want with impunity, there is little to prevent them or to encourage good behaviour.
Old 02 May 2006, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Fuzz and Felix,

Are we no longer allowed to defend our own property or to act in self defence as in this case without having to fear this kind of seriously unpleasant treatment from the police?

Are we expected to stand there and allow these nasty and violent louts to attack us and call us bad names etc.?

Are the police really not capable of using their intelligence in such a case or do they now carry out their duties by numbers with no thought for the feelings of the victims of such an assault.

Its no good saying ring up the police since they are either not available or if they actually do turn up on a call like this they take far too long to do any good. Doesn't seem to take so long if the yobs go and complain to them about the victim's actions though does it? Our local police station is empty and locked in the evenings and there are two coppers in a panda reputedly touring an enormous area and who can take ages to react to a crime when it is reported!

The police should reaklise very quickly that if they lose the support of the law abiding community, they are lost when it comes to doing their job effectively. They should realise also that this sort of treatment of people like this lady will bring them into disrepute with the general public.

Les
Old 02 May 2006, 12:44 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Vikki Woods said in Saturday's Telegraph - "I'm begining to live in fear of the state"
Old 02 May 2006, 12:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"I was quite manic, virtually hysterical"

sounds like she was going nuts and taken down to calm down a little.....typical newspaper spin lapped up by the Sun readers here who seem to think the police gave the kids a lolly then went Rodney King on granny!
Old 02 May 2006, 07:01 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I believe we absolutely are allowed to defend our property.
However I also believe EVERYONE should be arrested at an incident like that and taken away to a calmer separate place where the truth can be found out and the real culprits bought to book!
As Tiggs and Felix says it's not as clear cut as the spin the papers put on it...

Andy
Old 02 May 2006, 08:25 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Top posts from Mart and Leslie

The coppers should have used their common sense and let the old lady off with hitting some kid. Then sat back and waited for the IPCC to come along and relieve them of their job when the chav kids parents made the complaint of not investigating the case properly and taking sides from the off

FFS I doubt very much that anything will come of it, but to say they should have used their discretion is bollox. Discretion went out of the window fookin years ago when New Labia started cocking things up

Hopefully, they did what they should have and investigated all complaints from all sides, now they just have to sit back in the knowledge that the CPS will **** it up instead

/edit oh and btw mart your examples of "not in the public interest" are all things that CPS decide and have ****-all to do with police
Old 02 May 2006, 10:33 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The police should reaklise very quickly that if they lose the support of the law abiding community, they are lost when it comes to doing their job effectively. They should realise also that this sort of treatment of people like this lady will bring them into disrepute with the general public.

Les
Would we not gain the support of the public by doing our jobs properly. Not assuming what has happened but by investigating it properly. We should also not be predudicial and just assume that because a person is older that they must be the inocent victim.

Remember the spin put on by the paper as well. We can deal with things in different ways with arrests normally being the last option. I can only assume that there is more to this than meets the eye
Old 03 May 2006, 08:00 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
older that they must be the inocent victim.
It's a sad society with pensioners high on Andrews liver salts deciding to mix it with the yoof.Dragging a gang of kids into their gardens,making them smell their wee soaked clothes then bursting their football.

And yes,I would presume the little ******* were at fault.The current crop of kids need a damn good kick up the backside and realise who is in charge,and they aren't.

Lefty soft poncy weak pathetic ideas of schooling,parenting,the need to sue for falling off swings,falling out of a conker tree and rubbish about 'fairly investigating both sides'gets my goat something rotten.

Play in your own garden you little grotbags or go to the flipping park and stop annoying everyone or face the consequences.(Unless you come up against a new age policeman)
Old 03 May 2006, 09:17 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Fuzz and Felix,

Are we no longer allowed to defend our own property or to act in self defence as in this case without having to fear this kind of seriously unpleasant treatment from the police?

Are we expected to stand there and allow these nasty and violent louts to attack us and call us bad names etc.?

Are the police really not capable of using their intelligence in such a case or do they now carry out their duties by numbers with no thought for the feelings of the victims of such an assault.

Its no good saying ring up the police since they are either not available or if they actually do turn up on a call like this they take far too long to do any good. Doesn't seem to take so long if the yobs go and complain to them about the victim's actions though does it? Our local police station is empty and locked in the evenings and there are two coppers in a panda reputedly touring an enormous area and who can take ages to react to a crime when it is reported!

Les
There is a vital flaw in your post Leslie,

The police don't have any intelligence to use
Old 03 May 2006, 09:29 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

THey like to arrest the victim becuase it helps to improve detection tates and they can collect a nice big bonus without doing too much work.
Old 03 May 2006, 09:46 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Remember the spin put on by the paper as well.

BBC news and yahoo news not known for their spin are they. Lets face it Police will claim they do nothing wrong and that there is 'more to this than meets the eye' right up to the last possible moment. Its rubbish and they know it. Whatever crime a copper commits other officers will back him up as that is how they work.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:16 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
BBC news and yahoo news not known for their spin are they. Lets face it Police will claim they do nothing wrong and that there is 'more to this than meets the eye' right up to the last possible moment. Its rubbish and they know it. Whatever crime a copper commits other officers will back him up as that is how they work.
Luan

Were you there when the incident took place? Was the press there?

You won't be able to comment on the case if you weren't. All i am suggesting is that the press will put there own spin on things and it is dependent on who has reported it to the press in the first place.

Our job is to investigate what has happened and part of that process is to interview the people involved. They need to be arrested if the injuries are significant enough and if they are going to be any ID issues at a later date. If the female makes a counter complaint, then the other parties will be interviewed as well.

How else would you like us to do it..? Just assume that anyone over the age of 60 is always to be beleived over a juvenile. Assume that if a juvenile has been assaulted then they must have deserved it?

It wasn't that long ago (14 months) that we got called by residents of an estate complaining that youths are targeting an elderly mans house by throwing stones at his windows, eggs at his doors etc etc. We arrived, spoke to the neighbours, then spoke with the elderly male, then spoke with the youths. The elderly male was arrested on suspicion of indecent assault on a young girl. Further investigations led to a succesfull prosecution of the male for numerous counts of indecent assaults on children and also for further violent assaults which had been going on for many years

The neighbours were shocked as they believed he was a nice old man. And the reason why it took so long to catch him was that people did not believe what the kids on the estate were saying about him.

All alegations need to be dealt with properly and fully investigated. Like I said at the top - none of us can really comment on this case unless they were there and we should not just make assumptions.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Luan

Were you there when the incident took place? Was the press there?

You won't be able to comment on the case if you weren't. All i am suggesting is that the press will put there own spin on things and it is dependent on who has reported it to the press in the first place.

Our job is to investigate what has happened and part of that process is to interview the people involved. They need to be arrested if the injuries are significant enough and if they are going to be any ID issues at a later date. If the female makes a counter complaint, then the other parties will be interviewed as well.

How else would you like us to do it..? Just assume that anyone over the age of 60 is always to be beleived over a juvenile. Assume that if a juvenile has been assaulted then they must have deserved it?

It wasn't that long ago (14 months) that we got called by residents of an estate complaining that youths are targeting an elderly mans house by throwing stones at his windows, eggs at his doors etc etc. We arrived, spoke to the neighbours, then spoke with the elderly male, then spoke with the youths. The elderly male was arrested on suspicion of indecent assault on a young girl. Further investigations led to a succesfull prosecution of the male for numerous counts of indecent assaults on children and also for further violent assaults which had been going on for many years

The neighbours were shocked as they believed he was a nice old man. And the reason why it took so long to catch him was that people did not believe what the kids on the estate were saying about him.

All alegations need to be dealt with properly and fully investigated. Like I said at the top - none of us can really comment on this case unless they were there and we should not just make assumptions.
What a sad case and a rarity i would imagine, how often are Police called out to incidents of kids abusing or bullying other kids, making a nusance or imtimidation of others, more often.

This is not a pop at the Police but common sense goes a long way.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well if you use a bit of common sense Felix and Fuzz, who do you think is more likely to be at fault here. How many OAP's do you know who are likely to go chasing louts and attacking them just for something to do of an evening?

This lady reported the incident as happening on her property only to get arrested and put into a dark police cell before being interrogated! Why were they on her property in the first place? How would you remove a yob who was damaging your property and swearing at you without threatening his so called human rights? Or would you just stand there and let him destroy your property. if that is what you really believe then it is time you removed your heads from that unpleasant place!

What was the difficulty in taking a statement from the lady in her own house and sparing her the embarassment of being taken to a police station in front of her neighbours. That sort of thing is grossly embarrassing to someone who has been law abiding all her life. All you can think of is the tunnel vision which makes you feel you have to do your best to find enough evidence to send to the CPS on her which of course will help you towards yet another government target! your excuse about violent OAP's is specious to say the least.

It is high time that the police changed their so called modern thinking and started to protect the innocent citizen from the nasty and incorrigible louts who have no fear of the law and will actually laugh at you and the rest of authority for letting them off with a slap on the wrist which they display as a badge of honour anyway. We need the original style of policing where there was always a copper around who was prepared to actually do something about such incidents without the premeditated idea of hammering the victim if it was possible. Those were the times when a copper was respected not only by the community in general but even by those who were inclined to break the law. No mindless acting by numbers then, but using an intelligent approach to the problem in hand!

The main reason for this post is to indicate to you how the general public feels about this sort of attitude by the police which your training obviously considers of no importance.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 03 May 2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:33 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Well if you use a bit of common sense Felix and Fuzz, who do you think is more likely to be at fault here. How many OAP's do you know who are likely to go chasing louts and attacking them just for something to do of an evening?

This lady reported the incident as happening on her property only to get arrested and put into a dark police cell before being interrogated! Why were they on her property in the first place? How would you remove a yob who was damaging your property and swearing at you without threatening his so called human rights? Or would you just stand there and let him destroy your property. if that is what you really believe then it is time you removed your heads from that unpleasant place!

What was the difficulty in taking a statement from the lady in her own house and sparing her the embarassment of being taken to a police station in front of her neighbours. That sort of thing is grossly embarrassing to someone who has been law abiding all her life. All you can think of is the tunnel vision which makes you feel you have to do your best to find enough evidence to send to the CPS on her which of course will help you towards yet another government target! your excuse about violent OAP's is specious to say the least.

It is high time that the police changed their so called modern thinking and started to protect the innocent citizen from the nasty and incorrigible louts who have no fear of the law and will actually laugh at you and the rest of authority for letting them off with a slap on the wrist which they display as a badge of honour anyway. We need the original style of policing where there was always a copper around who was prepared to actually do something about such incidents without the premeditated idea of hammering the victim if it was possible. Those were the times when a copper was respected not only by the community in general but even by those who were inclined to break the law. No mindless acting by numbers then, but using an intelligent approach to the problem in hand!

Les
<nods>

Police loosing the support of the people, not just the chavscum but the real decent people. Now this may well not be the fault of the PC's but the senior career cops and politicians whio set stupid targets and impliment knee jerk plans. But do remember it is not just the cops who suffer - joe public ultimately losses out!
Old 03 May 2006, 12:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Felix

What you perhaps don't understand is that to the general public, perception is everything. At the moment the way the Police act, while it maybe within the letter of the law, does little to improve how they are percieved by the public at large. Many people also fail to make the separation between Police, CPS and Courts and TBH it is all 3 that make up the process from capture to punishment and perhaps they need to make more of an effort to be seen to be working as a coherent entity for the good of society. Yup - I know about the crap that gets handed down by politicans, but maybe it's time for some of the top brass in these organisations to get out of their comfort zones and start trying to make the politicans listen.
Old 03 May 2006, 12:19 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

There you go making assumptions again. How do you know who is going to be at fault unless you investigate it

You have every right to remove people from you property and stop then destroying it - which leads me to think that there is more to this than meets the eye. Has she gone over the top? You can remove people but you cant dish out your own punishment which may have happened as she has been arrested for ABH..!!!

If she has been identified as a suspect, you can't take a statement (PACE act). She needs to be booked into custody, interviewed etc etc. She may also need to be served papers on her for any possible ID issues. The fact that she was there all night can only mean that she was not in a fit state to be interviewed (drunk) or waiting for her solicitor. Our job is to find evidence for the whole situation - not just to implicate her. An external body (CPS) then review the case. And yes, OAPS are violent at times - me and my collegues a attacked by people of all age groups, i was once nearly strangles in the back of a panda by an OAP.

It is high time that the police changed their so called modern thinking and started to protect the innocent citizen from the nasty and incorrigible louts who have no fear of the law and will actually laugh at you and the rest of authority for letting them off with a slap on the wrist which they display as a badge of honour anyway. We need the original style of policing where there was always a copper around who was prepared to actually do something about such incidents without the premeditated idea of hammering the victim if it was possible. Those were the times when a copper was respected not only by the community in general but even by those who were inclined to break the law. No mindless acting by numbers then, but using an intelligent approach to the problem in hand!.
Putting police on the beat doesn't work - and there is not enough of us to do it anyway. You talk about not having a premiditated idea, but then suggest that we should always blame the youths.??? The intelligent way to deal with this incident is to find out the truth of whats happened and deal with it accordingly - would you not agree..

The main reason for this post is to indicate to you how the general public feels about this sort of attitude by the police which your training obviously considers of no importance.

Les
And the reason for my post is that if you weren't there - you can't really comment. If been in this job long enough to know that you can't make assumptions if you want to deal with incidents properly
Old 03 May 2006, 12:25 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Olly - if it perception you want, then we will hang up our car keys and go back on the beat and be seen in public. I'm sure the criminals won't take any advantage of this and hang up their car keys to make it easy for us to catch them. Also if people steal credit cards, they will only use them in a small area of shops. Domestic violence incidents will stop until we can get to the address. We won't target the motorist anymore so that you can travell at any speed you want with whatever documentation you want to have
Old 03 May 2006, 12:27 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I despair.

Quick Reply: Nice to see the Police cracking down on thugs