Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ants, Ants, more bleedin' ANTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2006, 09:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ants, Ants, more bleedin' ANTS!!!

Since our neighbour had his drive redone 18 month ago it seems to have stirred the local ant population into life (last summer as well) and they seem to like our house best, already they are in the rampage, we have put down the round and 'traps' which poison the little six legged tykes but we have two small kids so this is not idea and we cannot use them in certain areas. Ant powder is ok for outside but they are not outside they have moved in.

Any thougths about how to get rid of them once and for all

Last edited by The Zohan; 30 April 2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 30 April 2006, 09:22 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

threaten them with an eviction notice
Old 30 April 2006, 10:03 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

smear jam and honey over all your floors - every time an ant comes out it will get stuck, so you can pick it up with tweezers, clean its feet and put it outside, where you can poison it
Old 30 April 2006, 10:04 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

might be worth contacting your local council or Rentokill for some advice...
Old 30 April 2006, 10:06 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

ASBO's

Take a glance at these and see if they offer any help:

http://www.invisiblegardener.com/gar...t_control.html
http://www.antcam.com/info/faq/6.2.html
http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html
http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants1.html
http://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/Tendrin...estControl.htm
Old 30 April 2006, 11:16 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

Eliminate the food source. Ants are only interested in us for what we can give them. Leaving dead insects (flys, wasps etc you've swatted) around is a common culprit. Leaving food uncovered, particularly sweet stuff is ringing the dinner bell. If you don't know what's attracting them, do nothing; just watch them and follow them to the source. They'll often single file backwards and forwards to the good stuff, showing you what they're after and how they get in and out in the process. Fascinating creatures, pity to kill them.

Ns04
Old 30 April 2006, 11:54 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Not sure about 'once and for all' but Nippon does the job for me - straight down the holes and cracks where they emerge from. They don't like it at all..
Old 30 April 2006, 11:56 AM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Had huge problems with this last year.

Based on my experiences you need to find the feeding columns outside your house. Late afternoon are a good time to look. Likely to be more than one nest as well.

Once you find a column use the Nippon Ant Control System (From DIY stores/ Wyevales etc..) to get rid. You place a small sealable pot of the 'syrup' near a column. The ants are attracted to it and can access through small holes. They carry the 'syrup' back to the nest and after a few days the nest will be eradicated. The system comes with plenty of this syrupy stuff and a couple of sealable pots (prevents pets and kids getting to it).

HTH
Old 30 April 2006, 12:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Find where they are comming from. There is a nest somewhere. best to find it and douse it in powder IMO

It's a case of following the ant motorways.

Somtimes they have nests under floorboards, or in wall cavities...so it's a case of finding the holes or cracks in where they creep in through.

Under kitchen units behind the kickboards is a favourite. We had ant problems in our kitchen for several years, turns out they built a huge nest under the built in fridge and the built in freezer...Sucked them up...three hoover bags worth of ants and rubble! then layed a few ant traps for the stragglers and doused the whole underneath of every kitchen unit with ant powder and replaced the appliances and the kickboard.

Better to find them now rather later in the year when they start kicking out the queens to create new nests (flying ants) on a hot sticky sunny afternoon.

Facinating creatures. The ones in Spain are huge. And when they kick the queens out....the soldier/working ants go out to catch them (usually ones that I've swatted ) and drag them piece by peice (alive or dead) back to the nest! I won't admit to avid ant watching, but I was sunbathing and I had finished reading my book
Old 30 April 2006, 12:02 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Nippon gel works for me every time. The tube lasts forever and no more ant's. Be carefull around pets and kids though. Wherever you put it the ants will find it. Takes about three days to work. Got mine from Wilko's.
Old 30 April 2006, 03:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I found boiling water down their nests worked well. Also left lots of big brown patches where I killed the grass!
Old 30 April 2006, 07:39 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

We get them at exactly the same time every year.

I'm aware of this now, so the month before I head to the local supermarket and pick up those little "ant house" items from RAID. The ants are attracted in, pick up the chemical, take it back to the nest and infect the queen - BINGO.

Works for us anyhoo - no problems so long as we do this.
Old 30 April 2006, 09:17 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

I remember a few years ago my mate had this problem, contacted local Council. The Queen was living under in the Kitchen floor, she eats her way through the concrete and becomes a baby laying machine. Most frightening bit was the guy informed us she can grow to 6 inch.
Old 30 April 2006, 11:44 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Spread loads of talcum powder across the entry points that they use into the house - they cannot/don't like crossing over it.

Just remember to renew it after any rain!
Old 01 May 2006, 06:17 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

Try some garlic , read somewhere they don't like it
Old 01 May 2006, 09:36 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

not the dreaded A word

ive got these bloody tennants aswell I put down that gel device and they wouldnt go near it so i scooped a few of them up and threw them in from the top and they got stuck in the gel and died, so thats that idea wasted
Old 01 May 2006, 10:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I hope someone has warned you abou the flesh eating Dubai ants?? Big as small rats and love hiding under beds. Protected species as well....
Old 01 May 2006, 12:46 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

As Andy 1505 says. if you can keep the kiddies away from the area for about 3 days....it worked for us the other week, they were all over the kitchen and we put this down and sure enough, they be gone now.
Yve