Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Planning and village envelope.

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2006, 10:20 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning and village envelope.

We live in a small village in the East Mids.
In 1990 the village boundary or envelope was drawn by the local council planning dept'. Around most properties in the village it follows garden boundary lines and even kinks out to include houses built on the edge or down the lanes etc.
Behind our house we have a boarding cattery, built with planning permission, in 1981, extended in 1998. The envelope was drawn in such a way that it actually cuts across our garden, through a patio and excludes the cattery and garage. It appears to follow an old hedge line that has not existed for at least 50 yrs.
How do we get the envelope line changed to follow our property boundary ?
I contacted the planning dept but was told that the envelope was set and could not be changed.
Is this correct or is there some procedure I need to follow in order to make the council change the line ?
Perhaps someone with experience/knowledge could offer a few tips ?

Thanks

JBL
Old 28 April 2006, 10:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Interesting as this mirrors my situation at present.

I too have the boundary cutting across my patio and have an acre of land the wrong side. I have been offered a fair wedge for the 'dead land' (Garden) by a well known homes builder after I contacted them.

They have approached the local planners on my behalf on more than one occasion in the last 3 years in the hope the boundary has changed.

We were told 3 years ago it has a chance of changing in 7 years time, therefore we still have 4 years left to wait until something might happen.

Then I'm on my bike, hopefully.

It does appear there is nothing more you can do but wait until there is a boundary review.
Old 28 April 2006, 11:18 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

2 years ago I bought a piece of a field that my house backed onto & fenced it to extend my garden by 50ft deep & 80 ft wide. Following Parish Council involvement the local authority sent enforcement officers & threatened prosecution unless it was returned back to an unfenced field or I submitted a planning application for change of use from Agric to Residental. I was told by the Council that I had no chance of success as it fell outside of the village settlement boundary. After a decent battle & an appeal, the planning committee overruled the local authority decision & change of use was granted but with a Section 106 order being placed on it. (Waives permitted development rights.)
You will not be able to get the settlement boundary to change, but you should aim at identifying why it is incorrectly marked.

The Council will have a policy of knocking back ANY intrusions over the settlement boundary. With some research, logical arguments & getting a member of the planning committee to support you, you should be in with a chance.
If you like a battle & a challenge go for it, if not get a planning consultant to assist you (fees should be pence to potential gain in getting it approved.)

jbl, why do you want it changed ?

D
Old 28 April 2006, 11:47 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Planners are generally not that bright and are easily confused. IF you can get it sent to a commitee then you really are dealing with total retards but a few pounds in the right pockets may generate a result provided they are clever wnough to understand the motion tabled. I was at a commitee meeting this week and half of them diddn't know if voting yes was backing the descion by the council to refuse plannning of if saying yes was backing my application. The confusion was almost funny enough to get over the stupid descion they made.
Old 29 April 2006, 08:35 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Thanks for those thoughts, some further research is called for I think.

Why do I want it changed ? On the map it makes no sense at all and actually puts our house at a disadvantage to others. Also, some time in the next 10 yrs or so we will want to sell up and downsize, hopefully being able to pass some assets on to the children (who are adults ) so they can enjoy life a bit more. A sale as building land just adds ££££ to the sale.

JBL
Old 29 April 2006, 01:51 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Planners are generally not that bright and are easily confused. IF you can get it sent to a commitee then you really are dealing with total retards but a few pounds in the right pockets may generate a result provided they are clever wnough to understand the motion tabled. I was at a commitee meeting this week and half of them diddn't know if voting yes was backing the descion by the council to refuse plannning of if saying yes was backing my application. The confusion was almost funny enough to get over the stupid descion they made.
Don't think Saxo Boy would agree with you here

Are you really talking about the Planning Officers or the Councillors (who control them )
Old 29 April 2006, 09:29 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

"Planners are generally not that bright and are easily confused"

No, he would not Not bothered to read the post in any detail because this lazy planner is checking in on scoobynet from gran canaria and sure as hell isn´t giving planning a second thought. PM me the link on the 10th May if you want my opinion
Old 29 April 2006, 09:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Councillors can be very poor educated on planning matters which is worrying when they only have to listen to our advice and make their own decisions! I´ve seen some shocking decisions that are contrary to the professional advice offered!