Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scart switchers - what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2006, 05:16 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a switching one, supposed to be the dogs but didn't switch widescreen as it should, did sources OK but when you flicked channels on sky or cable that would normally kick to w/s it didn't do it.
When I complained was told it was down to the source not putting out enough power on one of the pins and it wasn't the fault of the switch. No refund.

Not the best advert but 20 quid and it's yours

http://www.futurehome.co.uk/scripts/...?idproduct=412
Old 15 April 2006, 05:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

tsk, lack of foresight on purchases??

made sure i had a telly / amp etc with enough scart sockets for all my needs

my mum has a 4 into one job... crap it makes freeview washed out until you unplug one of the other sockets thats used.

Mart
Old 15 April 2006, 07:17 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

This place has a few.

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...ndex&cPath=109

The automatic ones sense the last device to be powered on and switch the output to that input.
Old 16 April 2006, 04:50 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I use one of the automatic "Smart SCART" ones from Maplin. It works on a priority basis, and therefore emulates the way the SCART would work if you daisy chained all the devices.

It works quite well, though I find it degrades the picture quality a little (if there is a much darker area on one scanline, the whole line is a little darker. Most noticeable when watching cartoons. Whenever Homer Simpson opens his mouth, the scanlines containing his mouth get darker. Interestingly, the 12V PSU supplied with this adaptor was putting out 15.5V. When I replaced it with a PSU that was putting out 12.5V, the problem reduced rather a lot.

It also claims that for SCART4 you can connect up a device that doesn't support SCART switching, and it will detect the signal and switch to it anyway. This is bollocks it doesn't work at all. I don't really care about this though.

I can live with the faults as I got the device for free since the muppet at Maplin missed with his barcode reader. If I'd paid money for it I'd take the thing back. The whole setup is a stopgap until I can be arsed to build some proper custom SCARTs to wire up the DVD player and Sky box correctly anyway.