Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jury Service - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 11:34 AM
jpmason33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jury Service - HELP

I managed to defer my jury service last year due to work commitments, I have just been summoned again

I am involved in 2 big projects here at work that are crucial to the success of the business (which i part own) that clash with the Jury Service

Does anyone know if it is possible to defer a second time (our HR company doesnt seem to think so)?

As a last resort.....what is the punishment/fine for non attendance (tried googling but nothing concrete come up)

Cheers

J
Old 11 April 2006, 11:40 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Had a quick google, and it seems that you can ge excused or defer providing you have a good reason.

I suspect if you fail to attend you'll have plod turn up on your door and drag you there - but that's a guess. I'll keep googling
Old 11 April 2006, 11:43 AM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Here you go

http://www.gov.je/Viscount/Jury+Serv...for+Jurors.htm
Old 11 April 2006, 11:45 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

My wife has just done jury service and her employer was trying to stop her from attending (NHS Trust). However the judge was having none of it due to the fact that her managers could not present a justifiable reason for her not to attend.

Basically in exceptional circumstances they will allow you to defer once but the next time you are required their will be no way out as far as I am aware.

I will do a search now and see if I can find the thread as their was quite a bit of info.

Regards

GB
Old 11 April 2006, 11:46 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Here you go

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...t=jury+service

Regards

GB
Old 11 April 2006, 11:48 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Can't find much on the penalties for non-attendance:
http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/juror - gives general info

However, it reads to me like the jury summons carries the weight of any other court summons. Just seeing what ignoring that constitutes, but I doubt it's pretty
Old 11 April 2006, 11:54 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jpmason33
I managed to defer my jury service last year due to work commitments, I have just been summoned again

I am involved in 2 big projects here at work that are crucial to the success of the business (which i part own) that clash with the Jury Service

Does anyone know if it is possible to defer a second time (our HR company doesnt seem to think so)?

As a last resort.....what is the punishment/fine for non attendance (tried googling but nothing concrete come up)

Cheers

J
I deferred mine once, and was immediately given another date for the same time the following year and told that I may NOT defer again!

If you can provide documentary evidence that you would suffer significant damage to your business as a result of being called, then you may be in with a shot of being excused, but I have my doubts.

I wouldn't consider just skipping it if I were you.

Ns04
Old 11 April 2006, 01:34 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

In the words of homer simpson "just say your prejudice against all races and religions"
Old 11 April 2006, 01:39 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Tell them that you are on holiday at the time you're required and that you'll be happy to attend if they stump up for the cost of the holiday. Remember to mention that you're staying in that 7-star hotel in Dubai (Berj Al Arab) and wil be flying there first class......total holiday price comes to about £30K etc etc.
Old 11 April 2006, 01:54 PM
Michaela
Scooby Regular

I'm studying law... I have only ever known for them to let you off once (discretion of the court). If you don't attend a second time you face a fine or short sentence.
Old 11 April 2006, 02:04 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've never understood this. Why can't they ask "please pick a two week period during the next six months when you ARE available", and send that out to as many people as necessary to ensure continuous cover.

I'd have no objection to serving on a jury for a couple of weeks, provided it doesn't clash with other commitments.
Old 11 April 2006, 02:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Its does always seem archaic

Tell them you know the defendant on the first day
Old 11 April 2006, 02:55 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I've never understood this. Why can't they ask "please pick a two week period during the next six months when you ARE available", and send that out to as many people as necessary to ensure continuous cover.

I'd have no objection to serving on a jury for a couple of weeks, provided it doesn't clash with other commitments.
Good idea but unfortunately every trial is different and could last 2 weeks or 6 months dependant on the case. If in a 6 month trial you changed the jurors evry 2 weeks nobody would have a clue what was going on and then our criminal justice system and peoples right to a fair trial would collapse.

A case running along side my wifes had been running for 3 months and was scheduled for a 2 week break when the jurors would return and recommence from where they left off - the trial in question was scheduled to run for at least another 2 months .

Lets face it, if and when you get asked to perform jury service it is your opportunity to contribute rather than whinge about scum bags getting off lightly or infact being wrongly convicted.

GB
Old 11 April 2006, 03:18 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Tell them that you are on holiday at the time you're required and that you'll be happy to attend if they stump up for the cost of the holiday. Remember to mention that you're staying in that 7-star hotel in Dubai (Berj Al Arab) and wil be flying there first class......total holiday price comes to about £30K etc etc.
No mate, they need proof that you'd booked the holiday BEFORE the summons was issued!

The judge has the ultimate word on the day. When I served recently one lad had his exam times changed last minute such that it was causing conflict with his jury service. He asked the judge if he could possibly be excused. The judge asked to see some evidence, then dismissed him and wished him luck with his exams.

If you can't get out of it in advance. It might pay to ask the clerk to the court if you can make a representation to the judge on the day you're assigned to a case before the jury of 12 is chosen for the case. It's worth a shot. You will need to make a good case though, with supporting evidence as they'll have heard all manner of excuses before! You can't blame them for having to take quite a hard line.

Ns04
Old 11 April 2006, 03:20 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

I shouldn't think I'll be summoned for jury service as I'm not on the electoral role.