Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

help a fatty

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 10:45 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry help a fatty

ive was at work on sunday, and got rushed to hospital due to pains in my back. Now i went to the doctors and he advised me to lose weight. I was woundering if anybody on here has ant tips to help me out. The difficulty i have is i work shifts, so when i get home i just cant be bothered to cook a decent meal, and i also live on my own with my two cats.
Any tips and help would be apriciated. Cheers steve
Old 11 April 2006, 10:46 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

people will want info. Age, height, weight, what do you do not if at all, typical diet.

I'd say you're best asking your GP though then go from there.
Old 11 April 2006, 10:48 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

STOP STUFFING CAKES INTO YOUR BIG FAT GOB

Hope that helps
Old 11 April 2006, 10:49 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

im age 30 around 6ft weight 18 stone. Iwent to the doctors and he just said cut ot the fatty food i know that but what foods should i be eating?
btw im a bus driver so not the best of jobs for exercise.
Old 11 April 2006, 10:50 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by watto52
ive was at work on sunday, and got rushed to hospital due to pains in my back. Now i went to the doctors and he advised me to lose weight. I was woundering if anybody on here has ant tips to help me out. The difficulty i have is i work shifts, so when i get home i just cant be bothered to cook a decent meal, and i also live on my own with my two cats.
Any tips and help would be apriciated. Cheers steve

As one fat bloke to another - stop fecking eating (or at least cut down)!

If you work shifts they prepare yourself something before you go to work to have when you get back, i often make up a batch of chilli's/spag bol or such, freeze it and get it out ready for when i need it.
Cook it yourself, using lean quality meat and such so no need for it to be unhealthy.

Do not buy/consume pre packed meals, theyt taste crap and are usually full of crap.

exercise more, walk places you might just jump in the car for a min or so to go to.

drink plenty of water

eat healthy

Do not eat for at least two+ hours before you go go bed

Diets are fine but just better to cut down, eat healthy and exercise
Old 11 April 2006, 10:50 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonloops
STOP STUFFING CAKES INTO YOUR BIG FAT GOB

Hope that helps

tosser lol
Old 11 April 2006, 10:54 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Assuming you are just looking for a healthy diet rather than going in to roid world, just follow the usual common sense stuff:
1) Keep the fats low
2) Plenty of fruit and veg, but be careful about the acid in fruit if you get indegestion.
3) Cut out the pop & beer (or reduce) and drink plenty of water, it helps fill you up as well as keeping you hydrated.

Have a read of Panic Nation sometime as well - quite few interesting things in there about food.
Old 11 April 2006, 10:54 AM
Rabid
BANNED

im age 30 around 6ft weight 18 stone. Iwent to the doctors and he just said cut ot the fatty food i know that but what foods should i be eating?
btw im a bus driver so not the best of jobs for exercise.
Don't eat anything that comes out of a packet or is ready made/processed. Drink lots of water.
Then try and do at least 20 minutes walking a day- when you finish this you should be out of breath and sweating or you aren't walking fast enough.
When some of the weight drops off start jogging for 5 mins/walking for 10, then as you get fitter 10mins running, 5 walking and so on.
I've always been reasonably fit but my brother was a porker and following this routine with my support on his training sessions has seen him drop from nearly 20 stones to 15. He can keep up on a 3 mile run now no problem.
You can do it but you need to change your habits, either that or stay fat and unhealthy.
Old 11 April 2006, 10:56 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
As one fat bloke to another - stop fecking eating (or at least cut down)!

If you work shifts they prepare yourself something before you go to work to have when you get back, i often make up a batch of chilli's/spag bol or such, freeze it and get it out ready for when i need it.
Cook it yourself, using lean quality meat and such so no need for it to be unhealthy.

Do not buy/consume pre packed meals, theyt taste crap and are usually full of crap.

exercise more, walk places you might just jump in the car for a min or so to go to.

drink plenty of water

eat healthy

Do not eat for at least two+ hours before you go go bed

Diets are fine but just better to cut down, eat healthy and exercise

cheers paul ill give that ago i live in the lake distict so there plenty of placs for nice walks. at tho im just, i know its not good, but starving myself. its just the canteen at work has dreaded chocolate machine which shouts my name.
Old 11 April 2006, 11:02 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Don't starve and don't miss meals. If you must have a bar of chocolate have one, but make sure you don't binge. If you do eat chocolate make sure you you take some exercise later.
What you need in your life is balance, starving yourself will only lead to binge eating, lowering your self esteem and likelyhood of getting the weight off.
Old 11 April 2006, 11:26 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

why cant these doctors offer diet sheets or some thing? there qute a few of us fattie about surly they could a plan written down or something?
Old 11 April 2006, 11:52 AM
melons
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/

Ive dropped two stone, try the cabbage soup diet. Used normally for heart patients that need surgery, and need to drop weight.

Worked for me.

M
Old 11 April 2006, 11:53 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by melons
Hi,

http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/

Ive dropped two stone, try the cabbage soup diet. Used normally for heart patients that need surgery, and need to drop weight.

Worked for me.

M
does it make you fart?
Old 11 April 2006, 11:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

does it make you fart?

If so - that would just be a bonus on top of the loosing weight
Old 11 April 2006, 12:00 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

not for every one else tho lol
Old 11 April 2006, 12:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I dropped from 20.5st to 15.5st in 5 months on the Atkins. Before everyone fires up their flamers, I did the diet in what I consider the right way. +70% of my weekly shop is veg (non-root) and saw it as a lifestyle change rather than a temporary fix. I still follow the basic principles of the plan and for the first time in my life am in full control of my weight. I have settled now at 16.5st (6'2" strong build), but the knowledge I have can see me drop or raise my weight at will, so if I wanted to lose some for a holiday, no problem. During my intense weight loss I did very little exercise, perhaps a 2-6 hour walk fortnightly, but once my weight got down to 17st and below I found exercise so much easier and enticing, and hence enjoyable. Buy the book (£4 or so) read it and apply it well. If you need any tips feel free to PM me. It may not suit you, and many can't make it work, but for me its been the best change I have ever made.

The basic underlying principle is appetite suppression by way of flattening the bodies insulin levels. By limiting sugar intake (whether they be simple such as sweets, or complex such as carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta etc)) when eaten the body rapidly produces insulin to transport them around as energy. When they are all used up the body wants to then switch to ketone production, which is what the body uses to transport proteins and fats around the body as energy. The problem is the brain, as it sees any sudden drop in insulin as starvation and switches on the hunger warnings, making you eat before the fats/proteins have had a chance, and ultimately leading to their storage for future use. By limiting sugars the insulin level plateaus (sp?) to a point where the brain cannot discern any sudden rise or fall, and so the hunger warnings don't get turned on and the body happily processes the fats/proteins ingested, as well as some of those stored. As you aren't storing anything like as much, and are actually using up some of the stored stuff, weight loss is obvious.
Old 11 April 2006, 12:12 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I dropped from 20.5st to 15.5st in 5 months on the Atkins. Before everyone fires up their flamers, I did the diet in what I consider the right way. +70% of my weekly shop is veg (non-root) and saw it as a lifestyle change rather than a temporary fix. I still follow the basic principles of the plan and for the first time in my life am in full control of my weight. I have settled now at 16.5st (6'2" strong build), but the knowledge I have can see me drop or raise my weight at will, so if I wanted to lose some for a holiday, no problem. During my intense weight loss I did very little exercise, perhaps a 2-6 hour walk fortnightly, but once my weight got down to 17st and below I found exercise so much easier and enticing, and hence enjoyable. Buy the book (£4 or so) read it and apply it well. If you need any tips feel free to PM me. It may not suit you, and many can't make it work, but for me its been the best change I have ever made.

The basic underlying principle is appetite suppression by way of flattening the bodies insulin levels. By limiting sugar intake (whether they be simple such as sweets, or complex such as carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta etc)) when eaten the body rapidly produces insulin to transport them around as energy. When they are all used up the body wants to then switch to ketone production, which is what the body uses to transport proteins and fats around the body as energy. The problem is the brain, as it sees any sudden drop in insulin as starvation and switches on the hunger warnings, making you eat before the fats/proteins have had a chance, and ultimately leading to their storage for future use. By limiting sugars the insulin level plateaus (sp?) to a point where the brain cannot discern any sudden rise or fall, and so the hunger warnings don't get turned on and the body happily processes the fats/proteins ingested, as well as some of those stored. As you aren't storing anything like as much, and are actually using up some of the stored stuff, weight loss is obvious.

sounds great mate, ill take walk down the in a bit and make a perchase, think a chge of lfe style and diet will do me the word of good. 5 stone in five months, wow got to try it cheers
Old 11 April 2006, 12:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Don't do any silly diets, such as that ridiculous cabbage soup thing - people that do those are just lazy.

Eat well, lots of fruit/veg, keep the fat and carbs low, and do plenty of exercise.

Example day for me:
1. Breakfast - Muesli
2. Dinner - sandwich, massive bowl of fruit
3. Tea - Spag bol followed by yoghurt, biccy etc
4. Afterwards - 60-90 minute CV workout at gym (3-4 times a week).

Drink lots of water, exercise lots, and eat a healthy balanced diet and you will feel much better - i've lost a stone since Jan doing this.

The exercise is the hardest bit - you have to force yourself. I;m going to the gym tonight - cant be arsed, and dont have the time but I HAVE to go!!
Old 11 April 2006, 12:29 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Personally I think it's best if you avoid chocolate completely, I used to love the stuff and a couple of months ago made the decision i'm not eating it anymore, it was hard for the first week but after that it's easy, avoid temptation at the petrol stations!

I've always been dubious of the cabbage soup diet, always wondered what happens when you go back to eating normal meals again?
Old 11 April 2006, 12:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It feels all wrong, having a full English breakfast every day. Making curries with fresh full cream. Lovely flash fried sirloin steaks. Pork chops topped with Stilton cheese. But all served in sensible quantities with plenty of fresh steamed veg. No rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, beer Limit caffeine intake (decaf tea 'n coffee with soya milk) and avoid aspartame (carcinogen) sweeteners and any meat products with nitrate based preservatives (another carcinogen). Eat every four hours (you will forget, honestly, you end up not hungry at all). Drink lots of water (2-3l a day).

Here's the bad bit. At the moment you are hopelessly addicted to sugar, along with 85% of the western world. Coming of it isn't hard or painful like other drugs, but it does take discipline. After 4 days or so your brain will rebel against not having its fix and you will feel lousy. Headaches, nausea and lethargy are the key symptoms. This can last a few days or upto 2 weeks, but once through it you will start to feel better than the normal you had before. You will realise that normal used to be flitting from one sugar fix to the next, and you will slowly realise more energy. Even at 19st or so, I found myself running up flights of stairs that would have had me panting just a few weeks before, and this is through diet, not aerobic exercise.

Stock up on cauliflour, broccolli, lettuce, tomatoes, courgette, peppers, mushrooms, cucumber, celery, avacados etc. Eat fresh fish once or twice a week, particularly oily such as mackerel, sardines, trout, salmon or tuna. I can give you some superb recipes for curries, chilli or bolognaise that once cooked will serve 4, or you for 4 days, making it easier with your shift working. Avoid pre-packed foods, I buy nothing in a box or plastic pack. Everything is made fresh. For snacks whilst on the move, get a cool bag and take salads with the aforementioned veg and some tinned fish, call in a chippy but only have a fish, call by a supermarket and get meat products from the rotisserie (chicken) and some easy to eat veg (celery). Before long you won't need to snack anyway, but until you settle into it you will need something to satisfy, and even when not hungry the 4 hour rule still applies.
Old 11 April 2006, 12:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

this thread makes me want to eat an easter egg
Old 11 April 2006, 12:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

just sent one of the lads to asda for some mini egg`s

class diet this one
Old 11 April 2006, 01:36 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
just sent one of the lads to asda for some mini egg`s

class diet this one
lol some people just dont help. im might just get a crate full
Old 11 April 2006, 01:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"so when i get home i just cant be bothered to cook a decent meal"

well get bothered, to lazy to cook but you think ppl will take their time to help you on here????
Old 11 April 2006, 02:16 PM
Enigma
Scooby Regular

does it make you fart?

You better believe it I worked with a woman who gave it a go. She was constantly disappearing out of the office. Turns out she kept going to the toilet for a good fart, apparently as she was rushing to get there she said you couldn't have got a *** paper between the cheeks of her **** she was gripping them so tight
Old 11 April 2006, 02:18 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

How about walking instead of taking the bus?
Old 11 April 2006, 02:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Everyone else might complain, he's the driver
Old 11 April 2006, 02:40 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Do you drink Lager / Beer?? If you do try cutting it down or out altogether.

Do you take sugar in tea coffee?? If you do either cut it out or substitute with sweetners.

If you consume large quantities of soft drinks, substitute with water and or small quantities of fruit juice - however don't over do it with fruit juice as it will rot your teeth due to the natural acids it contains.

As everybody else has already said eat frest fruit, veg and cook fresh meat.

Get rid of the cats and get a couple of dogs you can walk, I have 2 boxers you can borrow if you like - they love nothing more than a 3 mile walk every night, not only does it do them good but it keeps me in trim too.

Swimming is a good form of exercise if you do not fancy the gym but you need to put some serious effort in to swimming long distances dependant on ability.

The thing is you need to get some professional advice on exercise, you need to do enough to start losing weight whilst not over stressing major joints and organs, I'm sure somebody in the leisure and fitnes industry must frequent the site and be able to give you some goo advice.

By the way I am 6 ft 2" and used to be 18 stone but am now 14.5 stone, didn't do anything too radical other than stop drinking silly amounts of alchohol, started eating healthily and started exercising. It's pretty simple really, patience is the key though. If you want to lose weight and keep it off for good don't expect to lose a stone in 1-2 weeks.

Good luck

GB
Old 11 April 2006, 02:54 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

There's a nasty stomach bug going round at the mo, try to catch it. I did and lost half a stone in a week - cheap food bill that week too
Old 11 April 2006, 03:28 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

thanks for the suggestion guys. ive just come bacl from a 20 min walk a bit sweaty, but feel better for it. ill take all youe suggestions on board and fin the best one for me and stick to it. again cheers

Quick Reply: help a fatty