Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky HD - install May 22nd!

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2006, 09:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky HD - install May 22nd!

Had a call off Sky last night and they said that the HD box is on its way. He said I was lucky as this was the first day they were starting the roll out. I didnt quite believe him for some cynical reason - anyone else had a date?

I asked if I could swop my current SKY+ box with the simple SKY decoder in the bedroom but he said it would become non-functional without an additional £10 a month [this on top of the ludicrous £10 levy for HD that I said I'd never pay ]. Kept on [and he kept agreeing that I was right and that it was unfair!] but still didnt manage to blag that one. Seems exceptionally greedy of Murdoch to want the £10 as its all hardware driven functions and I paid them for the box outright! I DEFINITELY wont be paying them this additional tenner as it's a bit like the BBC wanting a separate TV licence for every telly you have - basd's!

D
Old 08 April 2006, 09:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the less well heeled theres always these....

Old 08 April 2006, 10:43 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished with sky after nearly 8 years with them,prices went up and the quality of the progams went down. Cant say i miss tbh, espically seeing i can stream games from my pc to tv now
Old 08 April 2006, 10:59 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yes but did they give you Screenies as a leaving present
Old 09 April 2006, 10:53 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Just heard about Telewest box that is HD, with all the sky plus features. Called TV Drive I think(not teleport). Has three tuners is High Def and has 160gig hard drive. Best of all its FREE, not £299. Just cancelled my sky HD and will see what this is like. Have 2 SKY PLus Box for sale now.
Ps, intend to use Telewest 30 day money back guarentee if not up to sky plus standard.
Old 09 April 2006, 10:58 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

By the way called them Friday 6.30pm, fitting Tuesday 1-6. Better than a month wait. Always liked Sky plus but having to buy the box and they are so unreliable. Sky Customer service is appalling as well. 45 mins just to find out if I can cancel within 12 months, Telewest 1 min. Go figure.
Old 09 April 2006, 11:20 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Have two Sky+ boxes at the moment and a 50" HD Screen but I've not pre-ordered SkyHD, Sky have been a bit too greedy for me.

I had ntl ring me last week and they will be doing the telewest type HD recorder soon. I would hate to have ntl in as they are a pain in the **** but I'll wait and see what's on offer.

Cheers
Lee
Old 09 April 2006, 11:50 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I got my call on Friday and was told they would be debiting my card that day. Installation booked for 23rd May.

I asked them why I had to wait so long, and if they had anything sooner, but was told they don't have the boxes ready yet, and they aren't expected until about 22nd May.

He went on to tell me that there were only 300,000 units available this year so I was lucky.

I think I may be inclined to disagree; 300,000 x £299 = £8,970,000- so the luck ain't all mine.... greedy b'stards
Old 09 April 2006, 12:02 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

LOl having saved £600 on buying two HD boxes, just bought a new Samsung HD TV 26" £599 at comet 3.5% back through quidco. Telewest better be up to the job now.
Old 09 April 2006, 12:29 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

I'm also scheduled for Monday 22nd
Old 09 April 2006, 12:35 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

all Sky Engineers have been on the training course. courses ended @ three weeks ago....... so not a 'training' issue.. even the 'boxes' used on training were' Pre- production' sets.... you ARE aware that the boxes only come with SCART LEADS?? the onus is on THE CUSTOMER to have / supply the HDMI leads......
Old 09 April 2006, 12:41 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

More money saved Telewest will give you a HDMI cable. Beginning to sound like and advert, sorry.
Old 09 April 2006, 12:56 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

hey .. dont 'shoot the messenger' .. i only tell what i konw
Old 09 April 2006, 06:26 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Isn't this site sponsored by Sky now ? Just look at the main page.
Old 09 April 2006, 06:28 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisowe
Isn't this site sponsored by Sky now ? Just look at the main page.

Dunno - I don't see any ads on this site
Old 09 April 2006, 09:17 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Have two Sky+ boxes at the moment and a 50" HD Screen but I've not pre-ordered SkyHD, Sky have been a bit too greedy for me.

I had ntl ring me last week and they will be doing the telewest type HD recorder soon. I would hate to have ntl in as they are a pain in the **** but I'll wait and see what's on offer.

Cheers
Lee

what is a hd screen?
Old 10 April 2006, 05:12 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EXSCOOBY
what is a hd screen?
High Definition. HD Ready etc.

Cheers
Lee
Old 11 April 2006, 05:31 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Sky chap on phone said HDMI lead would be supplied by SKY when I asked. [Wonder if one costing 400% more with gold connectors will be better LOL]

Still dont quite know how one HDMI input will cover the DVD player input too? Is it a bit like Firewire [where you can have several devices in series] and youthen choose which one you want to 'see' on the TV?
Old 11 April 2006, 05:43 PM
Edd_Z
Scooby Newbie

Default SKY Customer service!!!

Absolutoe joke, completeley pathetic.

Really dont want to stay with sky but what other choice do i have?

I live in a village so we dont have cable, is there anything else i can do?

Just feel like sky laugh all the way to the bank, and if we want to make them pay, we leave but cant watch all that rubbish on tv at 3 in the morning any more?

Help!
Old 11 April 2006, 06:35 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Telewest did me over much worse than SKY are yet to do! Knew Telewest were a nightmare and was moving house so checked up on them all along the way to make sure that everything was hunky dory for install day on day of move - probably 10 calls to check starting at 3 months before move.

Come moving into the new house no phone or telly for as month and so therefore no internet either. I did however get 3 boxes off them as I awaited to be wired up! Muppet city!

D
Old 11 April 2006, 06:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

June 3rd is my install date. Did offer me an earlier date but unfortunately I'll be in Monaco for the Grand Prix

Chip
Old 11 April 2006, 08:01 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel

Still dont quite know how one HDMI input will cover the DVD player input too? Is it a bit like Firewire [where you can have several devices in series] and youthen choose which one you want to 'see' on the TV?
No only one device per input.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:44 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Had two TV drive Box's fitted today, first impressions, not as easy to use as Sky Plus but picture quality better on normal TV. Only Blue Planet available in HD and it looks better. How much better, the honest answer is not sure. I have one box on 42" Philips Plasma and the other on a 26" Samsung.
Old 28 April 2006, 11:47 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy1505
Had two TV drive Box's fitted today, first impressions, not as easy to use as Sky Plus but picture quality better on normal TV. Only Blue Planet available in HD and it looks better. How much better, the honest answer is not sure. I have one box on 42" Philips Plasma and the other on a 26" Samsung.
can you keep us updated on how you get on with that HD box please mate,

i've just a pioneer 43" xde so am looking on getting the HD box, but might wait a little while for the price to come down eh.

nick
Old 30 April 2006, 11:58 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

TV Drive is sending me potty. Seris link fails even though it shows the program is being recorded. At first I thought it might be me, as when you click to record a seris you get the option to only record for one week(WHY????), and so thought it must be me, but after two weeks it is the box. Also when delaying live TV there are too many jitters and jumps.
Will call telewest on Tuesday and if they agree to extend the one month trial and sort it out then I will give it another month. But if they don't then I will have to get a refund under their 30 day satisfaction policy.
Old 30 April 2006, 02:24 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy1505
TV Drive is sending me potty. Seris link fails even though it shows the program is being recorded. At first I thought it might be me, as when you click to record a seris you get the option to only record for one week(WHY????), and so thought it must be me, but after two weeks it is the box. Also when delaying live TV there are too many jitters and jumps.
Will call telewest on Tuesday and if they agree to extend the one month trial and sort it out then I will give it another month. But if they don't then I will have to get a refund under their 30 day satisfaction policy.
Sounds like teething troubles with the early versions of the software on the box. Hopefully a problem they are aware of, and hopefully preparing an update for. SKY will most likely also have teething problems.
Old 01 May 2006, 11:42 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannyo
Sounds like teething troubles with the early versions of the software on the box. Hopefully a problem they are aware of, and hopefully preparing an update for. SKY will most likely also have teething problems.
My SKY+ is still missing some teeth! Some recordings are corrupt and jump and spit and so are totally unwatchable. I am tending to think that this happens only when we are out of the house!!! Reason being this is the only time that two recordings are likely to be in place at the same time and this can make it all go wibbly wobbly [as we say in th biz!].
D
Old 01 May 2006, 12:05 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've had my TVDrive for three weeks now and it's been perfect.

I have 3 programs on series link and they've always recorded OK. Recording stuff is so easy now that the main problem is finding time to watch it all! With 3 tuners you don't have to worry about 2 recording overlapping and you can still rewind live TV at the same time. I love it!!

As for HD, I don't have the right telly yet and don't intend to buy one for a long time yet. I have a Philips 100hz TV with 'Pixel Plus' that gives you a more detailed picture anyway. I looked at a demo HD TV in the local Sony Center and I can see the point on a very large screen but not on my 32" widescreen. I think it's too early to buy a HD TV unless your existing set has died on you.
Old 01 May 2006, 12:24 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I believe there was an update to tvdrive last week, to solve the issues with the series link, i have reformatted mine and started again after the software update all seems fine now , apart from these teething trouble, i am very impressed, it's not as easy to use as sky+ but overall i think it is a much better package especially when use dalongside teleport VOD which is expanding all the time.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:07 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Just had a rather disturbing phonecall from my usual Sky / aerial installer regarding the HD service- apparently there's some major buzz going on in the industry regarding the encryption on the HD box being compromised.

I didn't 100% get what he was saying, but he says to expect a version 1 sky HD box to be problematic. Sky are rushing the version 2 box through but it isn't anywhere near ready yet.

Has anyone heard anything? He's recommended I cancel my install, and tbh he's one of the people that I do tend to take notice of- even though I really want it

Quick Reply: Sky HD - install May 22nd!