Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, HTID Birthday celebration 31/3/6

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2006, 03:19 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, HTID Birthday celebration 31/3/6

With HTID coming up to its second anniversary, an appropriate celebration was always going to be on the cards. The biggest success story of recent years, HTID's sell out attendances, not forgetting its revolutionary SMS based entry system and numerous licenced arenas at parties up and down the country has seen pretty much every corner of the UK on the recieving end of an HTID event.
With the event being two years young, the only way do it justice would be to put together a top notch lineup, hire out the best venue possible and promote the hell out of the event. So, when the flyer landed in my hands after a particularly sweaty night out, even chronic tiredness and aching feet couldn't dampen its impact.
Top of the list was the stars of the show, namely the biggest DJs in the land in full effect. Brisk, Sharkey, Breeze, Kev Energy, Hixxy, Darren Styles, Gammer and Re-con were all listed to play out in the main arena. Also, the MC lineup was equally forthcoming, with Sharkey, Storm, Whizzkid, Ribbz and Knight all on the flyer.
As well as that, the international talent that had been shipped in was also something of note, the die hard gabba fanatics I knew were champing at the bit when they learnt that both Tommyknocker AND Evil Activities were listed to play in the "Harder They Come" arena, but for me the REAL star of the show was in a class of his own.
With the autumn days of his career fast approaching, DJ Clarkee had thoughtfully been given three sets, one in each room to celebrate the FULL evolution of his career from when he started, a full on 17 years ago, to now. I dont know much, but I knew this was an occasion NOT to be missed. I would be taking full advantage of each of his sets and to hell with everything else.
With it being a friday night HTID, it stood to reason that I was on the tired side when I was making the drive up, but I just drank lucozade till I didn't feel the burn anymore, that seemed to sort it as I rolled up to air a little before 10.30 to be greeted with a fimilar sight, both a friendly bunch of HTID staff outside and a massive queue which stretched round the side of the building!
Negotiating both (after saying hello of course), the first thing to do was to park and get inside, so we did both with ease and made our way into the place after getting a brief search after handing over our tickets.
Once we were in, it was plain to see we were in for a good night. On attendence alone it was something special purely because of the amount of people on the dancefloor already, coupled with those we saw outside, that amount of people couldnt be wrong! After chatting to a few friendly people and getting a few photos taken, the start of the night was heralded with 11pm and the one like the DJ Clarkee arriving. I followed him up to the third arena.
With the kick off set grabbing the majority of the raver's attention, the first of Clarkee's sets was never going to attract a huge crowd, more of a dedicated following of those determined to make the most of the Old Skool arena. Having said that, the place was nicely full of my sort of ravers, the people with a sense of occasion and more importantly, those who wanted to make the most of this last opportunity.
That aid, the guts of Clarkee's set was actually lost on me, with the first portion being seriously deep, underground stuff. You can forget what he actually played, I couldn't ID it to save my life, so it was more of the case of the specifics being eclipsed by the continual evolution the music underwent. Dark underground rave fed into minimalist bleeps, then all of a sudden the breaks were upon us.
His one concession to the less educated members of the crowd (I.E. Me) was midway through when he showcased the more commercial side of his record bag while myself, BuzzB, Gingerjim, Gsus, and Xtra-C all went for it as he teased us with a bit of mainstream before delving back into the underground once more.
This was all topped off with the arrival of MC Ribbz, who's minimalist attention to detail on the mic was all the encouragement the steadily increasing crowd needed to get noisy when asked to and demand a rewind when the more popular tunes like Gems from Altern8 came in.
Finally, with the hour came to a close with Ribbz demading the ravers show some respect for the DJ in the place and this was emphasised not only by a surprisingly noisy report but a forest of outstretched hands which Clarkee all shook with a smile on his face. This may have been the end of the first hour, but the journey through Air was only just beginning. Next up was the main arena.
There was a fifteen minute gap between Clarkee shutting down and starting up again, but I decided to make the most of the break by getting on it to Styles and Hixxy who were finishing up in the main arena when I arrived. Billed as "The Slammin Vinyl NYE set that never was", my personal interpretation was of a compacted kick off set with its limited timespan being overshadowed by the top quality tunage.
With both Whizzkid and Storm in the place in full MCSquared guise, the closing moments which I caught were definitely something special, doubly so when Pendulum's remix of "Voodoo people" mingled with the remix of "Feelin Fine".
Next up was the return of the man I was there for. Storm and Whizzkid were overtaken by those better suited to the occasion, namely Ribbz and Sharkey, while Styles and Hixxy stood to one side and Clarkee took their place.
This was the real highlight for me, Bouncy techno in the main arena at a peak time set with thousands of ravers in the place? I knew it wouldnt get any better , so together with Xero, Lady Lush, Andy L, Gareth and Mike (happy birthday dude), we went for it from start to finish.
Another set where the main thing that was showcased was my ignorance of the tunes. But not knowing what ws being played was only a minor grumble, with my clear favourite in terms of pace, energy and sheer enjoyment being given centre stage, I was loving each end every kick.
Best of all Sharkey and Ribbz were providing the perfect foil for the techno which was raining down. Each of them were doing what they do best with Ribbz keeping it understated and cool and Sharkey going bonkers crazy and coming out with the more memorable moments of the set.
With the midpoint of the set providing just about the only tune I recognised in the form of "I wanna b a hippy" by Technohead, Sharkz got the place going by dropping "I come from afar", "Hot sensation" and "Dancin wall to wall" while his counterpart did the same just by being there.
In the meantime, Clarkee was in his element, dropping the most AMAZING tunes, even though I cant recall any of them cos I was too busy dancing like crazy. However it all had to end sooner or later, with Ribbz grinding things to a halt and asking Clarkee to promise to come back and play at least one set per year. Clarkee's answer? dropping "I'm the **** you man" as his final tune. Draw your own conclusions about what meaning to draw from that. I was off up stairs.
Finally we were there, the site of the last Clarkee set in this three hour marathon. I was well up for more and so were the rest of the packed Nitrogen arena. Best of all, his MCs for the previous set had followed him upstairs to provide the micwork like the professionals they are, but if you think this was a carbon copy of the previous set then think again.
Why? cos Clarkee elected for my personal favourite form of techno, acid techno all the way. Christ it was good. I mean epoch making, dangerously close to "enlightenment" good. with EVERYONE in the place there for the same reason and determined to stomp their way through to the very last minute, with Sammy P, Nut and Adey in the place with me, we did just that.
The underlit murky arena was a sea of movement which I was happy to be a part of. But same for the previous two hours, I have very little idea of what I was raving too. But I wouldnt have had it any other way, with Sharkey providing most of the fun of the set while Clarkee concentrated on busting out the tunes.
Sharkey was well and truely in the zone for this one. Easy on the lyricism, but heavy on the comedy. When people presented him with a mobile phone with a shout on it, his response was "Shout to the mobile phone!", as well as grabbing it of one of the ravers and screaming "Hello mum, can I take some pills please" and not forgetting "If you're messy put your hands in the air! Not you Rhod, we're not talking anadin here!"
Finally, the end of Clarkee's Odyssey was brought to a close with Ribbz taking centre stage and paying homage to "One of the true servents to the scene". Clarkee once again answered the only way he could, putting "Dont *** with a Ruffneck" on and letting the ravers do their thing.
If you thought that was the end of my night you'd be right, I could happily walk out the place and be satisfied, but I werent going to, it, quite frankly, would have been rude to when Evil Activities were in the place and especially so when they were on next.
Having seen these guys perform in holland in the past,but nothing could prevent me being impressed with their performance. The Harder edge were in the element during this set, with the dutch sound being at the forefront and the sense of occasion seeming to add extra weight to the distorted kicks which were unleashed on the ravers.
Once again, it was another set which I was mostly lost on me, but that was only to be expected due to not being in holland every week to appreciate the newest tunage. However nothing could prevent me from enjoying it and since I am a big fan of the Dutch Nu style sound, I was loving every minute of it.
Best of all, the few tunes I did recognise were two of my clear favourites, "**** the Fame" and "Do you like, Bass?" being two of particular note, but as well as that, "Eye of the storm" also mae me sit up and take notice, even if it might not be the proper name for the track.
But it was the cultutral differences that really stood out for me, best demonstrated by his willingness to get on the mic and motivate the ravers directly. Cultural differences were no indicator to lingustic though, his english was better than mine.
Finally, after 4 hours of non stop techno, it was time for some Hardcore. I was not going to miss the next set for two reasons, firstly because it was a welcome return to the main arena and second up, Gammer was in charge. Happy days.
I like the way this man does things and as such it was only right I get down the front to see him in action. Best of all it was the return of Sharkey on the mic for this set that gave me all the more reason to be there. I had a feeling it would be a very interesting 60 minutes.
These feelings I get proved to be well founded. Gammer rose to the occasion and played, everything. All facets of the UK Hardcore sound got a look in, from the euphoric vocals of "You're my angel" and "Still the one", to the more aggressive stuff of "This is how we do it" and "Move your body". As well as that the fast paced mixing saw the remix of "Voodoo people" getting another look in as well as other tunes which were of note such as "Tripod" (nice one), "Cry" and a new tune which I think was "Deep down in my heart".
While Gammer was immersed in the mix and the ravers were immersed in the tunes on the dancefloor, it would have been easy to overlook Sharkz and Smiley on the mic. Easy, but not advisory, cos both of them were on top form. Sharkz was well away from his previous exertations upstairs and as such this was a continuation from the go bananas and do random suff to make the ravers laugh he is well known for, but Smiley was on a more lyrical tip, most especially when he got on the mic to do the live vocals for "Ordinary people".
By this time it was the end of the night, or more precisely, 1 hour to go till the end of the night, so as such it was time for the "morning glory" set and doing the business was Sy and Breeze. The main arena packed out as the remaining arenas upstairs closed one by one and together with MCSquared to take us home, the place got on it as one for the last set.
Like any good morning glory set, its sole purpose was to make to you dance and send you on your way with a smile on your face. Go scratch your chin elsewhere, this was party tunes through and through and as such Sy and Breeze were the obvious choice to come up with the goods.
And come up with the goods they did, with Storm and Whizzkid giving the ravers both barrels, trading their lyrics back and fourth, as well as keeping what they do best ("Pump pump" for Whizzkid and "Dark like vader" for Storm) for themselves, all of it was the best possible accompanyment to the music.
This was it, the music was the backbone to the set and as such I zoned in on it and stomped throughout. Tiredness had evporated and my only concern was raving as hard as I could. However no effort was involved, cos no matter how much my feet were aching, I can always find the energy to rave to "I'm coming home", "Set you free" & "Heart of Gold".
Finally, with 6am loming, there was time for one more tune. I'm not even sure who let it rip but the result was the same either way. The place exploded one last time as "Save me" came in, with plenty of participation from the ravers, not to mention plenty of appreciation for the DJs and MC's efforts once it had faded out.
Things I liked:
Attendence - A full blown, unadulterated sell out crowd of up for it, HTID ravers in the place. All of them up for a party. Fantastic!
Music - These days its a given fact, but its still worth mentioning, you can choose your own musical path when you go to HTID, as Mainstream, Hard, or nostalgic as you fancy or any combination of all three. One of the best places in the country to rave if you want variety.
Outdoors - Now its actually possible to stay outdoors for more than 15 minutes without freezing your conkers off, I actually managed to have some fun, get some photos and talk to some like minded people. Always good fun, especially when you can do it while avoiding hypothermia.
Clarkee - Three hours, three arenas, three blinding sets. It was a good idea from HTID to let Clarkee have the run of the place like this and should be extended to let one DJ per event have the opportunity to play non stop for three hours in each room to explore the limits of their music to the maximum. Call it the "Marathon set" or something. Sorted.
Fire poi - To keep the crowd entertained, the promoters enlisted some performance artists who did their fire poi OUTSIDE the venue. Free street entertainment to keep you amused when you queue is never a bad thing. Nice one.
Third arena sound system - In the past it has been a bit lacking when compared to the other arenas, not at this rave. Seriously loud and like the rest of the rigs in the venue, perfectly set up.
Things I liked less:
Erm, have to think of one thing.... I know.... no, thats not it. I'll get back to you.
I cant think of a better way to celebrate a birthday, especially when its the birthday of one of the most powerful rave organisations in the country and they know exactly what to do to put on a party worthy of a celebration you can only get away with once a year. This was exactly what the doctor ordered and the sell out crowd is all the information you need as to how it captured the raver's imagination.
From the moment I entered the place till the final tune I had the time of my life. Didn't see any troublemakers at all, everyone had their party hat on and as such I was 'aving it right till the final tune. I think this was the best part of the rave for me, it was a classic, no messing about stomper. I spent a surprisingly small amount of time chatting to people like I normally do and an extraordinary amount of time on a seemingly endless mission to find the next DJ to quicken me.
As well as that, the unique opportunity to see Clarkee play out for three hours in both, Old Skool, Bouncy and Acid driven guises was definitely something to write home about. Clarkee is an amazing DJ and even this marathon was not enough for me. I am positive this didn't even romotely scratch the surface of the amount of music Clarkee COULD produce given an unlimited opportunity, but this was the next best thing and I was loving every minute of it.
There was nothing left wanting for this rave, Maxxed out attendence, innovative DJ lineup, huge atmosphere, top music and an indulgent homage to a DJ that is retiring and deserves recognition. All of these were outstanding and left me hungry for more at the end of the night. Anyone up for an early 3rd birthday?
astraboy.
Old 08 April 2006, 03:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 08 April 2006, 04:44 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

(Flame suit on) Nice one ab
Old 10 April 2006, 09:00 AM
melons
Scooby Newbie

Astra Boy,

I tried to read your description, but was a bit long. Got to respect the effort you go to when writing these reports. :-) So fair play to you, glad you had a good time.

What you need to do is post some pics :-) Just loveeeeee clubbing girls outfits :-)

M.
Old 10 April 2006, 01:35 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

he doesnt just write the reports for here, they go on the ush.net raving forums as well i think and this is just a cut n paste job for those that are interested.
Old 10 April 2006, 01:48 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Anyone going alexandra palace on sat nite for Transmission !!
Old 10 April 2006, 03:56 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

maybe
but its Dance energy Vs. Bangface the night before and Moondance the night after thats really gonna test me
astraboy.